2007 Mitsubishi Pajero & Dakar Rally Pajero Evolution @ 2006 Paris Show

Started by Jawad, September 08, 2006, 09:50:11 PM

Jawad

If this is the direction Mitsubishi will be taking with the grille design, then I approve.  Looks pretty slick imho.

Catman

Why does every Mitsubishi look like its from a cheap sci fi movie?

nickdrinkwater

Does anyone else think that it looks very dated, except for the smart front fascia?

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

cawimmer430

I think this particular color combination looks very good. The design is ok and reminds a little of the 1991-1996 version.

Pajero enthusiasts, like me, are instantly reminded of the gorgeous Super Exceed versions from the 1991-1997 body styles. My family at one point owned a 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero and it was an awesome car. Reliable, fun-to-drive and superb offroad. The 99-hp turbodiesel may sound sleepy, but it was mated to a 5-speed manual and it pulled nicely and steady. I have a soft spot for these:

IMO, the Pajero doesn't get any recognition in the US - simply because it doesn't come with a 6,000-hp 3.2 mpg V8 (:devil:). Performance SUV's are so friggin pointless anyway. Sadly, Mitsubisi also sold the Pajero as a sort of premium car in the US, which it wasn't. The Pajero was a true workhorse SUV and very capable. I'd take our ex-1996 version anyday over the G-Class or M-Class from Mercedes.

Here's our ex-1996 Mitsubishi Pajero 2500 Intercooler Turbo. Sorry for the crappy interior pic. My friend took it with some POS digital camera that used 1.35 MB floppy disks.  :P

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

S204STi

Too bad they don't sell the Montero here anymore.  The 2doors rock, I experienced a 2door Pajero in New Zealand.

cawimmer430

Quote from: R-inge on September 09, 2006, 03:07:38 PM
Too bad they don't sell the Montero here anymore.  The 2doors rock, I experienced a 2door Pajero in New Zealand.

Yep, they were very popular in Australia and NZ. At one point, in Germany, if you wanted a capable SUV, the Landcruiser or a cheap G-Class wasn't even on your list: the Pajero was. The 1991-1996 Pajero sold very well in Germany. Really good and capable SUV's, just unappreciated for the most part in the US. :(

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SaltyDog

Will this car be sold in the US?  Does it still have a real 4x4 system and a manual transmission? 

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 09, 2006, 04:04:24 PM
Will this car be sold in the US?  Does it still have a real 4x4 system and a manual transmission? 

Did the US ever get the manual tranny versions?

Here in Europe, the diesel versions were always M/T while only the 3.0 V6 version got a 5-speed. The 3.5-l V6, which sold poorly, was A/T only. 4WD was abandoned towards the end in favor of RWD - you had to order the Super Select 4WD system as a cost option.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SaltyDog

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 09, 2006, 04:06:49 PM
Did the US ever get the manual tranny versions?

Here in Europe, the diesel versions were always M/T while only the 3.0 V6 version got a 5-speed. The 3.5-l V6, which sold poorly, was A/T only. 4WD was abandoned towards the end in favor of RWD - you had to order the Super Select 4WD system as a cost option.

I'm not sure if the US ever got a m/t, but I just looked at Mitsu's site and apparantly base MSRP is $36,000.  A 3.8 V6 and 5-speed auto are standard.  Lame.

edit:  and it's the Montero instead of Pajero.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

cawimmer430

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 09, 2006, 04:12:18 PM
I'm not sure if the US ever got a m/t, but I just looked at Mitsu's site and apparantly base MSRP is $36,000.  A 3.8 V6 and 5-speed auto are standard.  Lame.

edit:  and it's the Montero instead of Pajero.

You need to move to Europe. Our diesels and lower end petrols are all M/T's.  :praise:

Montero is used for the US, Spain and Latin America. Everywhere else, Pajero. In the UK, it is known as the Shogun.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SaltyDog

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 09, 2006, 04:20:11 PM
You need to move to Europe. Our diesels and lower end petrols are all M/T's.  :praise:

Montero is used for the US, Spain and Latin America. Everywhere else, Pajero. In the UK, it is known as the Shogun.

Yeah, I'm dieing for more diesels m/t's here.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

cawimmer430

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 09, 2006, 04:29:48 PM
Yeah, I'm dieing for more diesels m/t's here.

Mitsubishi won't bring them over. DCX is working on it though. If you want a really nice Pajero with range, you need a diesel. The 3.8 V6 is a POS IMO. I dislike gasoline-powered SUV's. Useless out in the "open"...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TheIntrepid

Yeah my friend had a Montero Limited...the thing is slow and ugly, and he paid 60K canadian for it. Then he traded it for a W220 S500 4-Matic :).. he also has a new ML500

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

cawimmer430

Quote from: touareg208 on September 09, 2006, 04:37:39 PM
Yeah my friend had a Montero Limited...the thing is slow and ugly, and he paid 60K canadian for it. Then he traded it for a W220 S500 4-Matic :).. he also has a new ML500

I don't like the current Montero much, but this new one, even though it has styling cues from the current one, really looks nice IMHO.  :praise:

For me, a US-spec Montero 3.8 V6 is fast enough, but an SUV isn't supposed to be fast - especially a non-luxury SUV, which the Montero is. Mitsu marketed it wrongly in the US.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 09, 2006, 10:44:38 AM
Does anyone else think that it looks very dated, except for the smart front fascia?

That was my first thought. The front and the interior look nice but side and rear are to squared off.