G35 Opinions

Started by TurboDan, September 10, 2006, 09:48:56 PM

TurboDan

OK, so everyone saw my post on the Mazda Tribute a couple weeks ago.  Bottom line - I can't, can't, can't not be driving a cool car.  :lol: 

Went to a Mets game today with my Dad who suggested test driving a G35.  He said he test drove one and liked it.  Handled well, good size, etc.  Hey, I can always get someone else to pull my boat to the marina twice a year, right?  :P

Anyone own one or have opinions on them based on test drives?  I'm thinking about going to a dealer this week and checking it out for myself.  Just wondering what to expect.

Raza

I haven't driven one, but I was in one while it was being pushed.  But, if I can base it on my 350Z experience, I can say this; it'll be fast and capable, but uninvolving.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

I'm obsessed with the '07's redesign, but I'm iffy on the whole subject. In the recent and various tests, there's been mention of road noise and a harshish ride. I have not driven an '07, but have spent time in the first gen 6sp MT, and while a capable car, the road noise, ride and interior noise (rattles, buzzes, etc.) were unacceptable IMO. It's not an RS4, M5 or some other uber performance sedan, so IMO there's no room for forgiveness of road noise and a brittle ride (and never any room for passing over poor interior quality). I don't know how much of this experience is tranferrable to the '07, but from the sounds of it, at least some of it is. But hey, at $32k for such a package, there's gotta be some give and take.

ifcar

Of course, all the cars that were tested with complaints about the ride had the sport package. I'll guess that like the current generation, the standard suspension will ride appreciably better while still handling very well.

Champ

Very nice car, very fast, and it is one I would consider purchasing.  But after driving them for a whole summer (worked at infiniti), they were very "japanese" and bland.  Was always happy to drive the Saab home at the end of the work day.

Very nice car though, the manual is very slick!  Clutch has unforgiving takeup, very binary.

They do donuts in parking lots really well, that much I do know :rockon:

850CSi

FlatBlackCaddy

but bmw's are overpriced.....

giant_mtb

My brother has a G35 coupe...my Lord!  We went the fastest I think I've ever gone on a freeway on ramp I will probably ever go...and it felt so stable and in control.  Around town, it's not the most comfortable ride but it's certainly not a stiff, hard, choppy ride.  The exhaust note is also terribly addicting and the interior is nicer than basically anything I've ever been in.

It's weird...my brother owns a nicer car than my parents...or anyone in my family (immediate and extended!) for that matter!  :P

My two cents.

93JC

FlatBlackCaddy

SJ_GTI

Its a fun car. Too big for my own taste but nice nonetheless. If you are going for test drives, try to get a few comparable cars in on one day.

Have you test driven a 9-3 Aero?

93JC

Don't know how you could have forgotten. Pretty difficult mistake to make, pretty obvious omission...

TurboDan

Quote from: SJ_GTI on September 11, 2006, 01:24:26 PM

Have you test driven a 9-3 Aero?

How's the reliability of the newer Saabs?  Because, quite frankly, mine has always stunk in that department.  I've kept it because I love the ride and how it performs, but for the love of God, I've never had a car with more things go wrong in my life.

At least a new one would be under warranty, but that means giving up your car for days while it's in the shop.  I think I need some of that Japanese reliability.  Knowing me, though, I'll probably end up with an RX-8 or some other strangely-configured vehicle.  :lol:

TurboDan

Quote from: 850CSi on September 11, 2006, 09:14:00 AM
328i Coupe.

:lol:

Maybe.  If I was buying a manual, I'd consider BMW more strongly - but NYC driving and manual trannies don't go well together. 

Raza

You don't want an RX-8 with an automatic.  The worst thing about that car is the lack of power, and then you get even less with automatic.  You might as well get a GTI/GLI with a DSG.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Yeah, Raza has a good suggestion. The GTI would fit in pretty well, maybe an A4 2.0T?

Car Zeus

I like the outside of the G35 coupe but I think the interior need some improvement.

Lately, I really like Infiniti's but their interiors need to get better - the M45.

Catman

Quote from: TurboDan on September 11, 2006, 04:25:30 PM
How's the reliability of the newer Saabs?  Because, quite frankly, mine has always stunk in that department.  I've kept it because I love the ride and how it performs, but for the love of God, I've never had a car with more things go wrong in my life.

At least a new one would be under warranty, but that means giving up your car for days while it's in the shop.  I think I need some of that Japanese reliability.  Knowing me, though, I'll probably end up with an RX-8 or some other strangely-configured vehicle.  :lol:

:rage:

Raza

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on September 11, 2006, 06:48:26 PM
Yeah, Raza has a good suggestion. The GTI would fit in pretty well, maybe an A4 2.0T?

If he wants to burn even more cash, he can get the A3 3.2 DSG Quattro. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Quote from: Raza on September 11, 2006, 07:08:22 PM
If he wants to burn even more cash, he can get the A3 3.2 DSG Quattro.?

Since he lives in NYC, that would be my choice. Although the Bimmer's linear power and lack of a turbo make it a relatively easy manual to drive in traffic, I guess it's not a good idea. I mean, I suppose there's a difference between laziness and living in an area where a clutch could give you tendonitis.

Best solution would be DSG in a GTI or A4 IMO. The convenience of Auto and the control of a stick.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on September 11, 2006, 07:24:44 PM
Since he lives in NYC, that would be my choice. Although the Bimmer's linear power and lack of a turbo make it a relatively easy manual to drive in traffic, I guess it's not a good idea. I mean, I suppose there's a difference between laziness and living in an area where a clutch could give you tendonitis.

Best solution would be DSG in a GTI or A4 IMO. The convenience of Auto and the control of a stick.

I love the DSG as a replacement for an automatic.  And they're on par with acceleration or even faster compared to a manual.  I love the Volkswagen is getting rid of conventional automatics.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Quote from: Car Zeus on September 11, 2006, 06:50:16 PM
I like the outside of the G35 coupe but I think the interior need some improvement.

Lately, I really like Infiniti's but their interiors need to get better - the M45.

What the heck do you drive?!  It must be as nice or nicer than the G35 'cause, damn, that's probably one of the nicest cars I've been in or someone in my family has owned!  I'm sure it's nothing special, but with Explorers, Grand Marquis, and a Monte Carlo...that car is luxurious!

SVT_Power

In overall, it seems to be a hell of a car for the money, but quite frankly, I think the new one just got alot uglier. Not to say the first one looked good in sedan form anyway
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MX793

The new G35's automatic supposedly rev matches shifts like an SMG.  I think it's the same box that the M uses, and press (including C&D) generally seemed to like the way that gearbox performed.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on September 11, 2006, 08:15:21 PM
The new G35's automatic supposedly rev matches shifts like an SMG.  I think it's the same box that the M uses, and press (including C&D) generally seemed to like the way that gearbox performed.

The "old" one does that, too, I believe.  Rev-matched downshifts, at least...

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 11, 2006, 08:26:16 PM
The "old" one does that, too, I believe.  Rev-matched downshifts, at least...

Hmm, never heard about it.  Thought that was something the debuted with the M, as I heard about it there.  Then again, I think pretty much every G35 test I've read featured a manual equipped car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

I think it just blips the throttle on downshifts.

Lebowski

I test drove the G35 and one of my friends has one and I like them alot.  If I'd gone with a 4-door sedan I would have got the G35, and now I like the '07 even better.

IMO it's the best all around car in its class for the money.  The interior isn't great but it's not bad either and is improved in the '07 (although I haven't seen it in person).  It looks good, it's quick, it's roomy, it should have pretty good reliability.

I test drove a G35 manual and a 330i auto (they didn't have a manual) back to back, and while I admit I'm only talking about 10-20 minute test drives on public roads (it's not like I got to beat the shit out of them on a track), I didn't notice the "superior driving dynamics" of the 330i that everyone raves about.  The G35 was just as much fun to drive and about $7-$8k less comparably equipped.

SaltyDog

The G35 is another compromise car imo.  On the basis of size and weight I give it a thumbs down.  But, it might just be the best value in it's class and close to the best overall.  Not that I'm a big fan of that class.

Regarding Saabs, my hunch is that reliability is not too bad anymore.  A few extra repair costs will be overshadowed by the thousands you would save getting a Saab in the first place.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Champ

Quote from: TurboDan on September 11, 2006, 04:25:30 PM
How's the reliability of the newer Saabs? Because, quite frankly, mine has always stunk in that department. I've kept it because I love the ride and how it performs, but for the love of God, I've never had a car with more things go wrong in my life.

At least a new one would be under warranty, but that means giving up your car for days while it's in the shop. I think I need some of that Japanese reliability. Knowing me, though, I'll probably end up with an RX-8 or some other strangely-configured vehicle. :lol:

The new 9-3SS's and SC's are getting fantastic reviews.  2003 was a shittastic year for the 9-3, 2004 was much better, and now 05 and 06 are excellent.  If it's any piece of mind it was always electrical stuff, which is easily covered by warranty and usually only needs one fix since they know the problems.  Talking with the guys that own a large Saab shop that deal with these cars (30+ years they have done this), they say very little actually goes wrong mechanically.  And the new V-6 is the belt and suspenders.

I drove the Aero last thursday, and it was quite nice.  Easily handled better than my Viggen, and power was much smoother, although less torque-y.  I don't know where people had problems with torque steer, as I thought it was very limited.  Handles the power much better than my car.

2007 will see a redesign of the interior.