VW Cross Golf SUV Spy Photos

Started by BMWDave, May 29, 2005, 04:18:33 PM

BMWDave

Link With More Pictures

VW Beduin

Currently testing in mule form the new Volkswagen Golf SUV dubbed ?Beduin? uses the same naming strategy as the Touareg, named after a Saharan Tribe.  The name was registered in Germany last August and worldwide this past January.  The Beduin is planned to be unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show this upcoming September with press pictures slated to appear as early as late June.  The previous name Marrakech was registered in early 2003, but Volkswagen decided not to use the name.

Two gasoline and diesel engines will be available, the 1.6 and 2.0 FSI and 1.9 and 2.0 TDI, both from the new Golf.  The range topping model will be either the 2.8 V6 or the GTI?s 2.0 FSI Turbo with 200 hp. DSG will be available as an option.  The 4x4 system will be courtesy of 4Motion from the VW Golf with the platform taking components both from the Golf and New Passat.  Higher suspension of 60 mm will allow the Beduin to tackle off-road conditions better than the Golf Plus.

Styling for the Beduin will be similar to the recently released Golf Plus with a few changes.   The small SUV features wider and beefier wheel arches, along with a restyled front and rear end.  The headlights will be similar to the new Passat?s, along with a similar once large shield grill.  

The Beduin will be a serious off-road SUV to take on the likes of the Nissan X-Trail, BMW X3 and Landrover Freelander.  Prices are unknown at this moment but should be $5000 more expensive than the comparable Golf Plus.  Sales should begin in late 2005/early 2006 in Europe and possibly Canada.  It is uncertain if Volkswagen will import the Beduin to the United States due to the high Euro/Dollar exchange but if a decision is made to import the Beduin, it will be sold along with the new Golf in the US in mid to late 2006.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

baby toureg, but the tailights are way too puny.

BMWDave

This is designed to compete with the likes of the BMW X3 and the LR Freelander.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

it looks a bitt too small to compete with the Xterra...

BMWDave

First off, it looks horrendous.  Second, it would never compete with the xterra.  I think this would compete with the X3 and LR Freelander.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

I'll wait to see prices, but theres no way I would take this over an X3.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

A Golf-based vehicle going after the $30k BMW X3? Why can't they just put it against the RAV4 and CRV?

BMWDave

QuoteA Golf-based vehicle going after the $30k BMW X3? Why can't they just put it against the RAV4 and CRV?
VW is moving upmarket, so I think its feasible that this would compete with the likes of the X3.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

First off, it looks horrendous.  Second, it would never compete with the xterra.  I think this would compete with the X3 and LR Freelander.
whoops. hehe. it said X-Trail, not Xterra. :lol:  

Raghavan

QuoteI'll wait to see prices, but theres no way I would take this over an X3.
the X3 actually looks good. i'd take that thing over an X5 too.

Raghavan

BMWDave

It still says Xterra in the quote ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

where?

ifcar

QuoteA Golf-based vehicle going after the $30k BMW X3? Why can't they just put it against the RAV4 and CRV?
VW is moving upmarket, so I think its feasible that this would compete with the likes of the X3.
But a Golf? I don't think so, especially if it looks like that.  

BMWDave

where?
Look where its bold.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

where?
Look where its bold.
i didn't edit my quote. ;)  

BMWDave

where?
Look where its bold.
Thats because you cant since its in my post. ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

where?
Look where its bold.
Thats because you cant since its in my post. ;)
nonono, i didn't edit MY post. ;)  

BMWDave

sure -_-   I didnt notice anything B)  

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

I agree, hideous. :blink:  

Raghavan

I agree, hideous. :blink:
why is VW even building this???

CaseyNPham

Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

93JC

QuoteThe Beduin will be a serious off-road SUV to take on the likes of the Nissan X-Trail, BMW X3 and Landrover Freelander.
:blink:  :rolleyes:  

Run Away

The X-Trail isn't an X3 competitor...I see them everywhere here (Xtrails) and they certainly don't seem upscale to me.

93JC

No shit, eh? X-Trail's a CR-V/RAV4/Tribute/Escape/Equinox competitor.

I haven't seen a BMW X3 on the streets yet... <_<  

Raghavan

QuoteThe X-Trail isn't an X3 competitor...I see them everywhere here (Xtrails) and they certainly don't seem upscale to me.
what's an X-Trail?

ifcar

QuoteThe X-Trail isn't an X3 competitor...I see them everywhere here (Xtrails) and they certainly don't seem upscale to me.
what's an X-Trail?
Canada-only Nissan car-based SUV.  

Raghavan

what's an X-Trail?
Canada-only Nissan car-based SUV.
then it doesn't seem like a serious off-roader to me.

93JC

BMWDave

QuoteNo shit, eh? X-Trail's a CR-V/RAV4/Tribute/Escape/Equinox competitor.

I haven't seen a BMW X3 on the streets yet... <_<
You are in Canada?  I see tons of them where I am.

2007 Honda S2000