Top 10 Most Fabulous Key Fobs

Started by Jawad, September 16, 2006, 07:48:49 PM

Colonel Cadillac

The Acura key fob is super cheap feeling.

Raza

Did he go swimming with the Smartkey?  I've gotten mine wet lots of times, never had a problem.

Although, I must say I prefer the switchblade VW/Audi design over all the others.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza on September 22, 2006, 09:26:27 AM
Did he go swimming with the Smartkey?? I've gotten mine wet lots of times, never had a problem.

Although, I must say I prefer the switchblade VW/Audi design over all the others.
I've dropped keys in a bucket of undilluted degreaser, i just sprayed them off with  the hose and they worked just fine.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on September 22, 2006, 09:35:41 AM
I've dropped keys in a bucket of undilluted degreaser, i just sprayed them off with  the hose and they worked just fine.

Next time, try getting into a bath with your hairdryer (we all know you have one) and see if it still works after.

:P :P

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

IrishGuy

Quote from: 93JC on September 20, 2006, 09:44:40 PM
I think you're all stupid for liking keyless entry. It's useless. You're going to have to open the door to get into it anyway, so what does it matter if you fumble in your pocket for a piece of plastic with buttons on it or a metal key that you have to stick in a slot and turn?

On my mom's car if you don't lock it with the key fob it won't arm the alarm. So there's a very good reason to use it.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on September 22, 2006, 09:21:41 AM
The Acura key fob is super cheap feeling.

I don't know if the current TSX comes with something different, but my mother's TSX fob is crappy. But most mainstream cars have crappy fobs. Its not something a lot of companies put effort into, and I doubt many purchasing decisions are based on it anyway.

It is nice to have a quality fob though. I liked my A4's fob, and I was happy when my GTI's fob turned out to be practically identical. Switchblade design is nice, its feels high-quality (I've gotten complimented on it when I've handed them to other people), and when its closed its small and roundish, so no getting caught on clothing.

93JC

Quote from: Raza on September 22, 2006, 08:49:20 AM
I don't think I can open the trunk to my car from the outside without use of the trunk button on the fob.?

That's just one of Volkswagen's vast conspiracies to force you to use their little gizmos.

Noticed how you can't physically pull the little peg out of your door to unlock by hand, too?

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on September 22, 2006, 09:41:52 AM
That's just one of Volkswagen's vast conspiracies to force you to use their little gizmos.

Noticed how you can't physically pull the little peg out of your door to unlock by hand, too?

That way, people can't use a coathanger to open the door.  I like it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

heelntoe

i think the mercedes key fob thing is a one off thing because our 2000 c class' fob fell into a puddle and it still worked. and in that the little key was removable but can only unlock the door(the alarm goes off if you open with the key and not the fob) but not start the car
@heelntoe

thewizard16

Quote from: Raza on September 22, 2006, 09:51:48 AM
That way, people can't use a coathanger to open the door. I like it.
True. I always hated pop up locks though. I much prefer the ones put in right above the door handle in the door (as in the Camrys) so that you can still lock and unlock it manually from the inside if you need to, but it also can't really be messed with by someone trying to get into the car.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Quote from: thewizard16 on September 22, 2006, 10:02:38 AM
True. I always hated pop up locks though. I much prefer the ones put in right above the door handle in the door (as in the Camrys) so that you can still lock and unlock it manually from the inside if you need to, but it also can't really be messed with by someone trying to get into the car.

That's a good system, but it seems like it's exclusive to Toyota cars.  Our GS had them.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: IrishGuy on September 22, 2006, 09:40:18 AM
On my mom's car if you don't lock it with the key fob it won't arm the alarm. So there's a very good reason to use it.

Car alarms are useless. Everybody just ignores them. My mom's car is the same way, but it also arms the alarm system when you lock with the power locks, but it doesn't unarm it when you use the key. So, unless you think ahead and use the power locks while the car is running or lock each door manually then be prepared for shrieking if you don't have the key fob.

Raza

So then just use the fob...

The S320 has an immobilizer--if you lock the car with the remote and unlock it by any other means, the car will not start.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

Quote from: thewizard16 on September 22, 2006, 10:02:38 AM

The other downfall to pop up locks is they are right in the way if you like to hang your arm out the window.  My car has the pop up locks, and the thing pokes my arm every time.  It's rather annoying, and makes no sense, as 2 door Hondas don't have the pop up lock, only the 4 door models do.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SaltyDog

Quote from: 93JC on September 20, 2006, 09:44:40 PM
I think you're all stupid for liking keyless entry. It's useless. You're going to have to open the door to get into it anyway, so what does it matter if you fumble in your pocket for a piece of plastic with buttons on it or a metal key that you have to stick in a slot and turn?

I find it funny watching people press unlock from 40 feet away, then again from 30, then again from 20 with the fear that it didn't work the first, or second, time and that they will come to a locked car.  It more of an inconvienance trying to prevent an inconvienance than dealing with the small inconvienance in the first place.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SaltyDog

And I'd be weary of those switchblade keys.  It's a punctured scrotum waiting to happen.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on September 22, 2006, 09:41:52 AM
*snip* about the locks freezing

I live in Canada, and the locks on my Touareg, my S600, my Grand Caravan, my Intrepid, AND my 07 Camry ALL freeze from time to time. When I drove my old Camrys (00 and 90), I had to carry lock de-icer because I didn't have remotes on those cars.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT_Power

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 23, 2006, 12:51:00 PM
And I'd be weary of those switchblade keys.? It's a punctured scrotum waiting to happen.

Ouch.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

And I'd be weary of those switchblade keys.  It's a punctured scrotum waiting to happen.

No more likely than with a traditional key.  Less.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

And I'd be weary of those switchblade keys. It's a punctured scrotum waiting to happen.

Nah. That's only if you like to play "pocket pool".

SaltyDog

Quote from: Raza on September 23, 2006, 01:16:09 PM
No more likely than with a traditional key.  Less.

Yeah, but atleast you can anticipate it and go in for the block if needed.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SaltyDog

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 23, 2006, 03:18:03 PM
Nah. That's only if you like to play "pocket pool".

Like I said, I'm staying away from switchblade keys.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

TBR

Quote from: Raza on September 23, 2006, 08:40:06 AM
So then just use the fob...

The S320 has an immobilizer--if you lock the car with the remote and unlock it by any other means, the car will not start.

Except the fob is an inconvenience (though I do carry it when I drive the Subaru, but that is very rarely). If it was my car I would just turn the alarm off.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on September 23, 2006, 04:17:56 PM
Except the fob is an inconvenience (though I do carry it when I drive the Subaru, but that is very rarely). If it was my car I would just turn the alarm off.

How inconvenient is a fob?  It's the size of a lighter, fits in your pocket with ease.  They even make a contraption that allows you to link the key with the fob, and use them in conjunction with each other.  It's fantastic, this technology we have nowadays.

They even make ones for you:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

It is inconvenient because it is designed to provide convenience but doesn't. It takes less time to unlock a door with a key than it does to fumble around with a fob.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on September 23, 2006, 04:50:39 PM
It is inconvenient because it is designed to provide convenience but doesn't. It takes less time to unlock a door with a key than it does to fumble around with a fob.

Fumble with a fob?  Do you have someone pass it to you every time you need to unlock your car?  Just minutes ago, I had to unload some stuff from the backseat of my car.  I unlocked the doors, removed my packages, closed the rear passenger door, and locked the car with my hands full without ever removing the key from my pocket. 

Now you try that with a standard key.  If you can, I'll give up my switchblade.

v.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

It takes no more effort to pull out the key than it does to pull your hand out of the pocket (which you would obviously have to do either way).

Raza

Quote from: TBR on September 23, 2006, 06:07:58 PM
It takes no more effort to pull out the key than it does to pull your hand out of the pocket (which you would obviously have to do either way).

Really?  Because there is extra effort--for one, I'd have to walk over to the other side of the car to unlock and lock the car.  Secondly, you're assuming I had to put my hand in my pocket to feel for the buttons.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on September 23, 2006, 04:50:39 PM

Only if you behave like my mother and walk up to the car, stop, and then point the fob at it. With the fob, you can unlock the car as you walk towards it, and lock it as you walk away (or from a distance if you forgot to lock).

TBR

Same thing with a key, if you know how to use it, it takes no time at all.