What a week....

Started by VTEC_Inside, September 25, 2006, 04:37:48 PM

VTEC_Inside

Our new neighbour thought I was a mechanic just because of the amount of crap I'm always doing in my driveway.

This week I might as well have been.

Vehicle: My brothers '94 Corolla Wagon
Problem: Leaking gas tank
Resolution: Replace gas tank.
Notes: Dropped the tank from around the fuel pump because if I had tried to remove the high pressure line it would have certaintly broken right off the pump. Had to replace a vent assembly on the tank or it would have been done in a day. Luckily had all the parts I needed the next morning. Whole job took less than 5hrs, $440 in parts. Dealer wanted almost $1000 to do it.

Vehicle: Gfs sisters '98 Cavalier
Problem: Leaking water pump (Actually I think I should call that a feature)
Resolution: Replace water pump/gasket.
Notes: I don't know if there is actually a drain on that radiator, but I couldn't find it. Caught most of it in the pan as I tapped the water pump free. If they had Subway like cards for these water pumps, I'd have a free one by now. Changed the belt while I was there.

Vehicle: Gfs sisters '98 Cavalier
Problem: Hideous noise from either the new water pump or belt tensioner.
Resolution: I was gung ho to replace the stupid pump again, but a "friend" of hers said it was the tensioner, meh....
Notes: WHY THE HELL DOES GM MAKE THIS POS SO THAT WHEN YOU BACK OUT THE ONE!!! BOLT THAT HOLDS THE TENSIONER IN PLACE, IT BACKS OUT RIGHT INTO THE FRAME!
I had to drop the damn engine just so that I could get the bolt out. I comtemplated trimming a bit off the end, but figured to hell with it. I'm pretty sure that despite the fact I was able to start threading it by hand, that I was stipping the shit out of it as it got further in. At that point I didn't care. It should last the remaining life of the car anyway.

Anyways, that was my week. I still have black on my right hand that hasn't come off, and a nice cut that I keep re-opening everytime I put on my shoes.

I have to say that I would do it all again though.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT_Power

So did you make any money off your services :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Dig a big hole.  Put the Cav in it.   Replace the dirt.  Report it stolen.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: M_power on September 25, 2006, 04:40:30 PM
So did you make any money off your services :lol:

My brother claims that he's gonna give me $200 for my trouble, but I'll believe that when I see it. He's in Europe with my dad right now, back on Wednesday. I suppose I could hold his keys, lol...

As for the gfs car, probably nothing. The water pump is easy enough minus the coolant spillage. The tensioner really tried my nerves though.

Here is an old vs new tank pic. Note the rotted to hell vent line on the old one. I actually cut that line short as whats left of it was getting hung up on shit as I dropped the tank.

VTEC_Inside

I knew I forgot something in there.

Vehicle: Gfs dads '95 Geo Metro
Problem: No start
Resolution: Repair starter.
Notes: The main power lead going from the solenoid to the motor had frayed until it split. I opened up the starter, cut a small length of booster cable and re-established the connection. Saved $170 on a starter there.

On that topic, my '89 has been cranking slower lately. Gotta double check the battery terminals first, but I think the starter on that thing is nearing the end of its usefull life.

SaltyDog

Nice work :praise:

Those stupid Cavaliers.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

S204STi

So does the Cavalier have one of those tensioners that you work with a breaker bar but you didn't notice, or was it really necessary to remove it?  I made that mistake once on a S10 Blazer.  Looking back on it I must have really looked like a monkey.

I must say though, good work man sounds like you took on some serious work there.  Ever consider doing it for a living?

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: R-inge on September 25, 2006, 05:49:52 PM
So does the Cavalier have one of those tensioners that you work with a breaker bar but you didn't notice, or was it really necessary to remove it? I made that mistake once on a S10 Blazer. Looking back on it I must have really looked like a monkey.

I must say though, good work man sounds like you took on some serious work there. Ever consider doing it for a living?

It has a square notch in the side for a 3/8 ratchet head, but there just isn't any room between the rail and the tensioner to get one in there.

To clarify, I didn't remove it as part of the water pump job.

I have a feeling that I MAY have damaged the tensioner when I changed the water pump. However I didn't drive the car before starting that job, so I'm not sure.

I was pushing on it with a pry bar, taking care to keep it on the arm of the tensioner, but it did slide up to the tension roller a couple times. I don't think I ever pushed on it hard enough to do anything, but its possible.

I remember the tensioner on a buddy of mines '88 2.8L Tempest. We were looking at it for like 15 min before I took another look and realized that the end of it was square and perfect for a wrench...

I did consider doing it for a living at one point, but things just didn't work out that way :( Funny you mention it though, that very thought crossed my mind again after doing all this work so close together.

I guess I'm comfortable doing it as a more serious hobby though. There is very little that I will shy away from doing at this point.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on September 25, 2006, 07:48:12 PM
It has a square notch in the side for a 3/8 ratchet head, but there just isn't any room between the rail and the tensioner to get one in there.

To clarify, I didn't remove it as part of the water pump job.

I have a feeling that I MAY have damaged the tensioner when I changed the water pump. However I didn't drive the car before starting that job, so I'm not sure.

I was pushing on it with a pry bar, taking care to keep it on the arm of the tensioner, but it did slide up to the tension roller a couple times. I don't think I ever pushed on it hard enough to do anything, but its possible.

I remember the tensioner on a buddy of mines '88 2.8L Tempest. We were looking at it for like 15 min before I took another look and realized that the end of it was square and perfect for a wrench...

I guess I'm comfortable doing it as a more serious hobby though. There is very little that I will shy away from doing at this point.
LOL
I've had to remove two brackets that hold brake lines JUST to install/remove the belt on my Voyager because the tensioner is too close to the strut tower to get the wrench on there.

You can try bicycle-type wrenches in tight situations.  They're really skinny since bike parts aren't always wide. (I realize this one isn't long enough to do a tensioner job):
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=99&subcategory=1229&sku=11845&brand=

I too look at it as a hobby- one that's saved me a ton of $$ but given me some grey hairs...  :devil:
Will

VTEC_Inside

My god am I ever saving myself money... <- That thought as I finished todays job....

I'm driving home in my Accord and I go down to 3rd and punch it to merge around a transport truck. Comming up on 5000rpm(self imposed redline, poor old car) I hear something let go, couple light wacks as something flies underneath the car. I can see something in my rear view go flying off the car.

Meh, whatever... <- My first response....

Lol, great <- Second response as I see the battery light flicker on.

Drive the next 10min with the light on and stop at my gfs house to have a look. Sure enough the tensioning nut is missing as is the bolt that is supposed to be in the alternator. I had double nutted that bugger because it had a tendancy to back off, and both were gone. Also gone, the spacer that belongs between the alternator and the bracket. Mother F#$ker!....

Quick trip to Crappy Tire for new hardware. Get back and go to put it back together... Oh yay!, the alternator bolt is not ALL missing, the rest of it is still in the alternator.... (insert crying emoticon here)

FYI: the only way to completely remove the alternator from this car is to remove the drivers side drive shaft, or the intake manifold to gain clearance.

I get the alternator sitting pulley down on top of the drive shaft where I can get a drill into whats left of the bolt. FORTUNATELY thanks to the location and the types of metal, this bolt never seizes up. Once I had a small hole drilled I simply put a small screw in it, turned it in and was able to turn the bolt right out the other side of the alternator.

Anyways, its back together now. I bought a longer replacement bolt that goes right through the alternator as is. If this ever happens again I can just grab the other side.

This is just another chapter in the saga of my experiences with this damn tensioning setup.

I also replaced the alternator to block mount while I was there. Had the new one for a long time, just couldn't be bothered. The alternator had been sitting slightly skewed.

Cross my fingers, but between the new mount, the nice new thick washers I put in place of the lost spacer, etc... everything seems really tight and proper now. The alternator lines up perfect and only rotates on its mount, all the other play it had is gone...

After a long day at work I really didn't feel like doing this $hit today, but yay me!

S204STi

Something about Hondas...I did used car checks on a Pilot yesterday and an Acura 3.2TL today, and both had the water pump powered by this belt that wraped around the passenger side engine mount!  I can only imagine how much fun replacing that belt would be.  Glad I work on nissans, lol.

Raza

Crappy Tire is an odd name.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Raza on October 06, 2006, 09:47:04 PM
Crappy Tire is an odd name.

Nickname for Canadian Tire just in case you didn't know. Not really appropriate name anymore as most of the stores have been remodeled in the last couple years. They are really nice now.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 06, 2006, 09:15:28 PM

I also replaced the alternator to block mount while I was there. Had the new one for a long time, just couldn't be bothered. The alternator had been sitting slightly skewed.

Cross my fingers, but between the new mount, the nice new thick washers I put in place of the lost spacer, etc... everything seems really tight and proper now. The alternator lines up perfect and only rotates on its mount, all the other play it had is gone...
The "play" is probably why it went out on you anyways..  :(

Are Honda alternators usually reliable??  Seems like US cars they put them on top- easy to get to, for a reason...  :confused:
Will

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 07, 2006, 11:10:08 AM
The "play" is probably why it went out on you anyways.. :(

Are Honda alternators usually reliable?? Seems like US cars they put them on top- easy to get to, for a reason... :confused:

Yep, I'm pretty sure the offset alignment and wiggle room is what contributed to the bolt sheering. I had that comming as I didn't put the new mount on when I got it over a year ago.

I haven't had any trouble with this alternator, but I've gone through 2 of them since I've had the car. I blame that on the fact that its a 65amp alternator and that my amplifier is quite capable of drawing at least half of that. Suffice it to say I don't listen to it that loud anymore and I make a point of turning it down or keeping the revs up at stop signs.

Colonel Cadillac

Man do I wish I was good at that type of thing.

S204STi

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 07, 2006, 04:32:27 PM

I knew hardly anything about the actual work involved before I went to school for it.  You can definitely learn if I could.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on October 07, 2006, 08:01:05 PM
I knew hardly anything about the actual work involved before I went to school for it.  You can definitely learn if I could.

Some of us aren't able to go to school for it, brother.  We have families to disappoint.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

VTEC_Inside

Start small with oil changes and brake jobs, then work your way up.

Having an older car is a great way to learn as things invariably start to break/fail.

AutobahnSHO

Join the Army!   :devil:
I get a garage to use for $3-5/hr. (Whether you want a flat bay or a lift.)   They have free tool rental, and certified mechanics to answer questions.  You do the work yourself, sometimes they'll help out a tiny bit.

In 2002 I had never changed oil, then I got my SHO (aka FUN moneypit.)  I did a clutch, mufflers, sensors, tuneup, alternator, fuelpump, axles, front wheel bearings, and more on that car.
(Then at 171,000 miles it ate a bearing on the crankshaft and was done, since I hadn't bothered to replace the $40 "replace after 100,000 miles" bearings.. )

On my van I've now done front/rear brakes, serpentine belt tensioner, waterpump, and a few others.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even if you don't have a garage, find someone that's working on their car and ask to help.  Get a book for your car, and pick a simple job.  As you do the work you learn where everything is and what all those crazy looking things do.  And take your time- it's a learning process.  :thumbsup:

WHen I was doing the clutch on my SHO instead of loosening the bolts to take the tranny off the engine, I loosened the bolts (12+) that hold the two halves of the tranny together.  So then I had to torque them all right and redo my work.  (At least I had a tranny "flush" since all the fluid came out and I had to replace it..  :confused:  )
Will

VTEC_Inside

On the SHO topic. I've been trying to convince my buddy to let us drop the tranny on his in his driveway :).

The tranny is smoked and the car undriveable so its not like hes got anything to lose... lol...

Therein lies another thing you pick up as you do this stuff, confidence. I have no doubt in my mind that we could pull it off if he would just let us try. He on the other hand is still tepid about it.

AutobahnSHO had another great suggestion. Find someone that is working on their car and hover/help. A buddy of mine had a bunch of Renault Alliances back when we were 16-18. I participated in tranny conversions, head swaps (2.0L head on 1.7L block), engine swaps, etc... on those things. The best mental image I have is his brother standing on the shock towers lifting the auto tranny out of his last one... lol...

S204STi

Quote from: Raza on October 07, 2006, 08:38:57 PM
Some of us aren't able to go to school for it, brother.  We have families to disappoint.

True, I had very little of that to worry about, as I had already accomplished that part when i decided to go to a tech school.  I had a largely free ride with CU which I bailed on for lack or maturity, basically. The goal after that was to make a career that would be rewarding and also pay my way through school.  Being a mechanic this has been rewarding, but I am still not making the dough I would like yet, just because I have little experience, but I have plenty of potential so I am sure in the future I will be able to pay my way through a four-year school.

I also like 'Baun's suggestion, get a good beater/money pit, or even a nice Rabbit or something to tune/play around with.  Get adventurous.

Colonel Cadillac

I need to start off small, I have never even changed the oil on a car. I think that should be my first project when it needs to be done and I am at home. After I get out of college I hope to get a moderately old car (like an old Miata or Camaro) to play around with, that would be a great way to really get into learning the mechanics of a car.

S204STi

You can pick on an early 90s Miata on the cheap, and there is some neat stuff you can do to those.

Colonel Cadillac

It's a few years off though, so we have time for them to depreciate even more!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 08, 2006, 09:49:13 AM
On the SHO topic. I've been trying to convince my buddy to let us drop the tranny on his in his driveway :).

The tranny is smoked and the car undriveable so its not like hes got anything to lose... lol...

Therein lies another thing you pick up as you do this stuff, confidence. I have no doubt in my mind that we could pull it off if he would just let us try. He on the other hand is still tepid about it.
They're a pain on FWD cars- the subframe is in the way.
It used to be accepted that to remove it you had to suspend the engine, drop the subframe, then slide the tranny off. 

I've read recently on www.shoforum.com that there is BARELY enough room if you loosen the subframe bolts, and maybe remove one on the driver's rear side you can get enough play to slide it off.  This saves you dropping the ypipe from the exhaust, suspending the engine, (which actually wouldn't hurt still) and dealing with that stupid subframe.
Read up on the forum before you try this though.

It's definitely doable with some jackstands and patience though. 
If you're anywhere near Michigan there are a ton of people that do this just for fun, might help out and/or be able to rebuild/replace the tranny cheap.
Will

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 08, 2006, 06:54:31 PM
They're a pain on FWD cars- the subframe is in the way.
It used to be accepted that to remove it you had to suspend the engine, drop the subframe, then slide the tranny off.

I've read recently on www.shoforum.com that there is BARELY enough room if you loosen the subframe bolts, and maybe remove one on the driver's rear side you can get enough play to slide it off. This saves you dropping the ypipe from the exhaust, suspending the engine, (which actually wouldn't hurt still) and dealing with that stupid subframe.
Read up on the forum before you try this though.

It's definitely doable with some jackstands and patience though.
If you're anywhere near Michigan there are a ton of people that do this just for fun, might help out and/or be able to rebuild/replace the tranny cheap.

I had planned on suspending the engine and dropping the subframe. I was reading a bit on shoforums about it.

I dunno. He doesn't seem to care about the car anymore. Keeps claiming hes gonna fix it, but its just sits there as a lawn ornament now, right where we pushed it.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 08, 2006, 08:32:54 PM
I had planned on suspending the engine and dropping the subframe. I was reading a bit on shoforums about it.

I dunno. He doesn't seem to care about the car anymore. Keeps claiming hes gonna fix it, but its just sits there as a lawn ornament now, right where we pushed it.

Where you at??
I'd take it off his hands....  :mask:

I suspended my engine with a storebought mount back in the day- but search user "sdpatt" on the forum (or email him, he's a really cool guy)  and you can get plans to build one out of 2x4s and a little hardware.
Will

VTEC_Inside

Lol, I wish he would sell it, I've been trying to convince him to because I don't think hes actually ever going to fix it. He likes the Silver/Black leather interior combo that it has. Great look for a car that can't move under its own power.... Its also not clear in that pic, but he rear ended a CR-V in it a while back. He replaced everything but the hood.

It is/was an ATX btw... He wants to put an MTX in it.