If you were a cop.....

Started by hounddog, September 25, 2006, 11:19:40 PM

hounddog

What would you do everyday if you were a cop?  It is an open ended question, so answer it honestly.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

850CSi

Uh... Whatever I was assigned to do?  :lol:

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

Kind of depends on assignments...if I was given a choice, I'd like to work more as a detective.  I wouldn't enjoy walking around town, dealing with all the drunks/punks, and I think I would go crazy if I had to sit in my car all day.  Investigative work, that sounds fascinating and seems to be a good mental workout.

JYODER240

Ticketing ricers, and engaging in high-speed pursuits.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

mazda6er

I would fuck shit up, yo. Eat donuts. Frighten old ladies with my sirens. Seduce lovely debutantes in back of the Vic with my snazzy uniform. Pretend I had global jurisdiction. Find one of those big inflatable sports domes and own it with my 12-gauge. That's the life.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SaltyDog

I would pull over people driving unsafely and show no leniancy.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

TheIntrepid

My dad used to have a white Impala with tinted windows as a company car. I remember that we popped the rims off and it scared people.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

omicron

Best thing is to go to the government auctions, pick up a 15,000km white Commodore with government plates, and park on the side of the road. Everyone slows to 20km/h :lol:

Speed_Racer

Since I know where everyone speed around here, i'd be scummy and set up speed traps.

850CSi

Quote from: mazda6er on September 26, 2006, 08:47:11 AM
I would fuck shit up, yo. Eat donuts. Frighten old ladies with my sirens. Seduce lovely debutantes in back of the Vic with my snazzy uniform. Pretend I had global jurisdiction. Find one of those big inflatable sports domes and own it with my 12-gauge. That's the life.

:lol:

Catman

I would play on computers all day. :tounge:

TBR

Pulling over left lane campers by the dozen.

mazda6er

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

giant_mtb

I dunno...I mean donuts are one of my favorite foods and I do enjoy a good cup of coffee...so I might just sit around in my car pretending to watch speeders while sleeping or reading or listening to my iPod while eating donuts and/or drinking coffee.

:praise:

Catman

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 26, 2006, 08:14:45 PM
I dunno...I mean donuts are one of my favorite foods and I do enjoy a good cup of coffee...so I might just sit around in my car pretending to watch speeders while sleeping or reading or listening to my iPod while eating donuts and/or drinking coffee.

:praise:

I've done that!

The Pirate

This is an interesting thread, as I've given a lot of thought to a career in law enforcement.  My only deterrents are the fact that I'm not sure I could draw a gun on a person with the realization that I may have to use it, and (this is the bigger one) it seems that there would be an incredible amount of anguish in that job.  My uncle was a Buffalo, NY detective for 20 some years, and I know that he has had to knock on people's doors to inform them that a loved one was dead.  I don't know if I could do that.  At the same time, I am sure that you have a chance to make a positive impact in somebody's life, and that might outweigh that bad shit.  It's a noble career for sure.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JYODER240

Quote from: The Pirate on September 26, 2006, 09:29:16 PM
This is an interesting thread, as I've given a lot of thought to a career in law enforcement.? My only deterrents are the fact that I'm not sure I could draw a gun on a person with the realization that I may have to use it, and (this is the bigger one) it seems that there would be an incredible amount of anguish in that job.? My uncle was a Buffalo, NY detective for 20 some years, and I know that he has had to knock on people's doors to inform them that a loved one was dead.? I don't know if I could do that.? At the same time, I am sure that you have a chance to make a positive impact in somebody's life, and that might outweigh that bad shit.? It's a noble career for sure.

I could shoot someone, but i don't think i could tell a stranger a loved one died.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SaltyDog

Hounddog, what's with the sig?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Catman

Quote from: The Pirate on September 26, 2006, 09:29:16 PM
This is an interesting thread, as I've given a lot of thought to a career in law enforcement.  My only deterrents are the fact that I'm not sure I could draw a gun on a person with the realization that I may have to use it, and (this is the bigger one) it seems that there would be an incredible amount of anguish in that job.  My uncle was a Buffalo, NY detective for 20 some years, and I know that he has had to knock on people's doors to inform them that a loved one was dead.  I don't know if I could do that.  At the same time, I am sure that you have a chance to make a positive impact in somebody's life, and that might outweigh that bad shit.  It's a noble career for sure.

There are definately some negatives but that's why we make such huge cash.

mazda6er

--Mark

mazda6er

Quote from: Catman on September 27, 2006, 05:02:13 AM
There are definately some negatives but that's why we make such huge cash.
You really do make a lot huh? I've heard state troopers can make upwards of $150k? I've definitely considered that, because quite frankly, as I sit here at work, programming and bored out of my God forsaken skull, I'd really prefer to be shooting at people and driving recklessly.
--Mark

Catman

Quote from: mazda6er on September 27, 2006, 06:46:58 AM
You really do make a lot huh? I've heard state troopers can make upwards of $150k? I've definitely considered that, because quite frankly, as I sit here at work, programming and bored out of my God forsaken skull, I'd really prefer to be shooting at people and driving recklessly.

That might happen once every 20 years. :tounge:  Actually the money isn't bad, I'm not complaining.  I don't work much OT and make on avg about 82K+ a year.  If I wanted to work details and OT I could push it up over 100K but I'd rather be home most of the time.  My wife works so I'm not in a force situation.  I'm mostly doing system admin work now so I think my salary is very good but I could be wrong.  Plus I get over a month off per year.

BTW, don't say "Quite frankly".

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Catman on September 27, 2006, 06:59:21 AM
That might happen once every 20 years. :tounge:  Actually the money isn't bad, I'm not complaining.  I don't work much OT and make on avg about 82K+ a year.  If I wanted to work details and OT I could push it up over 100K but I'd rather be home most of the time.  My wife works so I'm not in a force situation.  I'm mostly doing system admin work now so I think my salary is very good but I could be wrong.  Plus I get over a month off per year.

Quite frankly, I had no idea cops could ever make that much money. Are you saying that there's even a remote possibility that I could get paid 80K+ to drive around in a Z28 all day? Dang, I'm in the wrong business.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Catman

Quote from: NACar on September 27, 2006, 07:06:45 AM
Quite frankly, I had no idea cops could ever make that much money. Are you saying that there's even a remote possibility that I could get paid 80K+ to drive around in a Z28 all day? Dang, I'm in the wrong business.

:rage: It really depends where you live.  In my experiece police pay varies greatly depending on the part of the country. 

Here's a reference:  http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_compresult_national_LG12000003.html

Keep in mind that I'm a Sergeant with almost 12 years on and have a masters degree which pays more.

Eye of the Tiger

:lol: I assume you're in a city then, Boston is it?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

mazda6er

Quote from: Catman on September 27, 2006, 06:59:21 AM

hehe, yeah I figured that high speed chases aren't part of the daily agenda. :lol: That's a damn good salary in my book, I'm sure you earn every penny of it. :rockon: Yeah, I would ditch the OT too, it's better to enjoy the kids before they become adolescent monsters. :lol:

No quite frankly? :(
--Mark

Catman

Quote from: NACar on September 27, 2006, 07:11:12 AM
:lol: I assume you're in a city then, Boston is it?

Not far from Boston.  Town of Billerica.  About 40,000 pop and 26 sq mi.  Check the edit in the last post.

Catman

Quote from: mazda6er on September 27, 2006, 07:11:36 AM
hehe, yeah I figured that high speed chases aren't part of the daily agenda. :lol: That's a damn good salary in my book, I'm sure you earn every penny of it. :rockon: Yeah, I would ditch the OT too, it's better to enjoy the kids before they become adolescent monsters. :lol:

No quite frankly? :(

:rage: http://www.carspin.net/forums/general-talk/quite-frankly.0.html

mazda6er

--Mark