Waving at the cops (or vice versa)

Started by AutobahnSHO, September 26, 2006, 06:44:47 PM

AutobahnSHO

Last Saturday we took a trip to the Ocean-
Maryland highway 50 to Ocean City (from Fort Meade.)
On the way it's a 4lane divided highway (but with stoplights every now and again) and the coppers were in the center median with radar guns, waving people over to stop.

How insane do you have to be to jump out into traffic and wave at people to pull over?

Oh, and one of the duos had the hood up on one of the cars- ???  Were they just disguising their ruse?

I passed by at about 67mph in a 55zone, no  :pullover: .
Will

Phillip

Hood up...hmmm, perhaps they needed help with the cruiser.  Or perhaps they were impersonator serial killers...
I'm Flyin.

giant_mtb

WTF?

I'm afraid to wave at cops thinking they'll see it wrong and think I was giving them the bird.

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 26, 2006, 08:16:20 PM
WTF?

I'm afraid to wave at cops thinking they'll see it wrong and think I was giving them the bird.

Actually, I read somewhere that waving at an LEO, if done properly, could make him think that you're an off-duty LEO, and might mean that he doesn't bother pulling you over.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

Quote from: dazzleman on September 27, 2006, 03:55:32 AM
Actually, I read somewhere that waving at an LEO, if done properly, could make him think that you're an off-duty LEO, and might mean that he doesn't bother pulling you over.

Well, I don't think he'd think that I'm an off-duty officer since I don't believe I look much like an adult.  But maybe I'll just put on my aviators and grow a beard and look as much like an adult as possible and wave to all the cute little officers driving around.

Champ

I wave when I can, but half the time they don't even see.

Then there is the speed trap by my house, I give them the thumbs down :O

J86

I'll give a somewhat sarcastic salute if I managed to haul it down enough to keep them from pulling me over.

Of course, sometimes I do get pulled over.

Karma's a bitch.

The Pirate

Quote from: J86 on September 27, 2006, 08:43:40 AM
I'll give a somewhat sarcastic salute if I managed to haul it down enough to keep them from pulling me over.

Of course, sometimes I do get pulled over.

Karma's a bitch.

5 speeds are great there.  Quick downshift to 3rd and no brake lights has saved my ass many times.

I've never waved at a cop unless I know who it is.  This one local cop is a friend of my dad's and when I first got my license he would randomlly pull me over all the time, just to give me a hard time.  Pretty cool guy, though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

J86

Quote from: The Pirate on September 27, 2006, 08:51:22 AM

5 speeds are great there.? Quick downshift to 3rd and no brake lights has saved my ass many times.

I've never waved at a cop unless I know who it is.? This one local cop is a friend of my dad's and when I first got my license he would randomlly pull me over all the time, just to give me a hard time.? Pretty cool guy, though.

hehe, that must have gotten the heart rate up a bit!

I NEED to downshift in order to slow down, my brakes are so bad!

Raza

In my neighborhood, I always wave at cops driving through.  He's just on patrol, keeping the area safe and what not.  Out on the open road, I don't, though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza on September 27, 2006, 10:36:24 AM
In my neighborhood, I always wave at cops driving through.? He's just on patrol, keeping the area safe and what not.? Out on the open road, I don't, though.

Same.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

mazda6er

Quote from: J86 on September 27, 2006, 10:26:55 AM
I NEED to downshift in order to slow down, my brakes are so bad!
Oh man, your poor transmission.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Catman

We just wrapped up a series of neighborhood meetings.  Here was the top three concerns residents had in regards to policing.

1.  Speeding vehicles
2.  Speeding vehicles
3.  Speeding vehicles

If your curious, here was some other concerns:

4.  Speeding vehicles
5.  Speeding vehicles
6.  Speeding vehicles

and;

7.  Speeding vehicles

mazda6er

Quote from: Catman on September 27, 2006, 04:55:50 PM
We just wrapped up a series of neighborhood meetings.  Here was the top three concerns residents had in regards to policing.

1.  Speeding vehicles
2.  Speeding vehicles
3.  Speeding vehicles

4.  Speeding vehicles
5.  Speeding vehicles
6.  Speeding vehicles

and;

7.  Speeding vehicles

That's all well and good, but what about speeding vehicles?  Don't they care about speeding vehicles?! ;)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

The Pirate

Quote from: Catman on September 27, 2006, 04:55:50 PM

1.  Speeding vehicles
2.  Speeding vehicles
3.  Speeding vehicles

4.  Speeding vehicles
5.  Speeding vehicles
6.  Speeding vehicles

and;

7.  Speeding vehicles

Well, it certainly puts speed traps in residential areas in perspective.  I'm all for it in those areas, too many people fly through neighborhoods oblivious to the fact that there may be kids out playing, cars backing out of driveways, etc.  School zones are a real problem here, and there is absolutely no excuse to speed there.  Nab the bastards for all you can, I say.  I only speed when I feel conditions are safer for it, i.e. on a 4 lane in clear weather, etc.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Catman

Quote from: mazda6er on September 27, 2006, 04:57:38 PM
That's all well and good, but what about speeding vehicles?  Don't they care about speeding vehicles?! ;)

:lol:  All they want to see is officers writing citations in front of their house.  As long as their not the ones written. 

mazda6er

Quote from: Catman on September 27, 2006, 05:00:50 PM
:lol:  All they want to see is officers writing citations in front of their house.  As long as their not the ones written. 

Concerned for their kids, I guess. Must've been a snoozer listening in on those neighborhood meetings, haha. I hope you missed out on that.
--Mark

Catman

Quote from: mazda6er on September 27, 2006, 05:08:35 PM
Concerned for their kids, I guess. Must've been a snoozer listening in on those neighborhood meetings, haha. I hope you missed out on that.

Just the town dept heads went (i.e. Chief).  I would rather be the man behind the curtain.

Raza

Go to my neighborhood.  If you sit on the main road and clock cars all day long, you'll find that the average speed is 40, and most of the people doing the driving are older, generally women, and generally in SUVs, and generally on cell phones.  Then one day you'll clock me, doing a heady 5 over, generally with two hands on the wheel, and almost never on a cell phone.

I'm clearly a menace. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

Waiving at cops?  Are you kidding me?  Maybe when I'm 40, but for now I'm a punk kid who must be up to something and should be pulled over and searched.  I avoid eye contact completely.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Catman

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 27, 2006, 05:50:47 PM
Waiving at cops?  Are you kidding me?  Maybe when I'm 40, but for now I'm a punk kid who must be up to something and should be pulled over and searched.  I avoid eye contact completely.

You might as well display a sign in the window that says, "Pull Me Over". :P

SaltyDog

Quote from: Catman on September 27, 2006, 05:53:23 PM
You might as well display a sign in the window that says, "Pull Me Over". :P

Reverse psychology, not a bad idea.  I quite frankly might do that.

:lol:

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Catman

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

I've always wanted to but never had the chance :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TBR

I almost did the other day. There was a sheriff sitting along side a road that has a speed limit of 55 and I quite often go 85+ on it, but not this time. I was just so happy that fate actually went my way for once that I felt a little friendly. Didn't do it though, because I figured he might have been there specifically because of me :P (most people seem to go 10 under on this road).

TurboDan

I never do.  Why would a motorist wave at an officer anyway, except if they knew him personally of course.  It could be construed as the driver needing police assistance, and telling the officer that you just giving a friendly wave would probably piss him off.  At least that's how I think about it.

I usually give a salute to officers on the water, though.  The Coast Guard always returns it, as do the officers in the marine units in some of the local PDs.  The NJSP Marine units never give a wave back, and usually stare at you with a mean scowl.  That's if they're not rudely blowing by you in their 25' rigid inflatable with both 225HP engines screaming.  They're a bunch of jerks, really.  So, I continue to give a friendly wave just as an experiment. 

Always happily give a wave to the Coasties and the local PD boats, though.

L. ed foote

Quote from: TurboDan on September 29, 2006, 12:25:39 AM
I never do.  Why would a motorist wave at an officer anyway, except if they knew him personally of course. 

Officers or not, people wave all the time in the southern states (GA, NC, SC).

I generally don't wave at anyone.
Member, Self Preservation Society

AutobahnSHO

I was just kidding around with the title- I meant that the cops were waving motorists over...  :mask:
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 26, 2006, 06:44:47 PM
Last Saturday we took a trip to the Ocean-
Maryland highway 50 to Ocean City (from Fort Meade.)
On the way it's a 4lane divided highway (but with stoplights every now and again) and the coppers were in the center median with radar guns, waving people over to stop.

How insane do you have to be to jump out into traffic and wave at people to pull over?

Oh, and one of the duos had the hood up on one of the cars- ???? Were they just disguising their ruse?

I passed by at about 67mph in a 55zone, no? :pullover: .

They do this in Connecticut on the highways.  One trooper clocks you, and the other, a short distance down the road, points to your car and waves at you to pull over.

They don't go into traffic though.  They do it from the shoulder.