Ha!

Started by Rupert, September 26, 2006, 09:26:25 PM

Rupert

Well, I can't imagine this whole thing could be fixed for less than $700 or so, and that's even too much money.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Psilos on October 19, 2006, 05:06:02 PM
Well, I can't imagine this whole thing could be fixed for less than $700 or so, and that's even too much money.
Unless you (or a friend) can do the work without paying a garage just parts should be less than that...
Will

Rupert

Yeah, I'm not gonna do that. We'll see after this weekend what the fate of the Trooper shall be.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Danish

Oh man that sucks.

Just like VTEC said, you really dont know how bad the damage is until the heads come off...
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Rupert

Hrm, yeah.

It looks like the family is gonna help out, but not for a few months. I dunno if I wanna fix this engine, buy a new engine, or buy another Trooper. I'll try to get both heads machined, and all the valves replaced, if this engine is good enough. I really don't wanna buy *another* Trooper, and an engine ain't cheap. Though it won't be the best option in terms of money, I might be able to get a diesel engine in there. I'm thinking I'll have the mechanic start with the valve thing, but also give it all a good looking over and kinda evaluate what is worth doing.

Rupert

The mechanic says that they don't make something or other that might be needed for the valve replacement anymore. That means that I could pay them to take it apart and discover it needs something they can't get. I'd have a broken engine in pieces, and a huge labor bill to boot.

I'm going to put in a new ignition module, which will get it running, and sell it for as much as I can get. I guess I'll put that towards a Trooper with the really good four-cylinder that I can have looked at by a mechanic before I buy.

heelntoe

find some unsuspecting fellow and you can get more than you paid for it.
@heelntoe

Rupert

Yeah, probably. Too bad I'm honest. x_x

I'll start by asking $1000, and tell people about the problem, and take whatever decent offer I get.

AutobahnSHO

Bummer.
Did you ditch the Volvo??
Will

Rupert

AutobahnSHO

Wanna buy an old minivan?  :lol:
I WANT to get something new(er), probably a wagon. (Volvo and subie seem most likely, I want a manual and don't see any others that would be affordable/halfway dependable.)
Will

Rupert

Lemme think about that.

OK, no. :lol:

Volvos kick ass, but so do subus. You can sleep in the back of a 240 if yer under 6'3" or so.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Psilos on October 29, 2006, 11:17:23 AM
Lemme think about that.

OK, no. :lol:

Volvos kick ass, but so do subus. You can sleep in the back of a 240 if yer under 6'3" or so.
You had to think THAT LONG about it??  I'm disappointed.    :devil:
Yeah, if I have to pick it will probably come down to that individual vehicle's condition. 
On the other hand, I'm headed to Kuwait for a year in May, which brings in an extra $300+/month, so maybe I'll just wait until I get back to go shopping..  :P
Will