2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Heavy-Duty Pickups

Started by Jawad, September 28, 2006, 07:52:36 AM

Jawad

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=116949#2

QuoteDETROIT ? General Motors has now released details on the heavy-duty versions of its 2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, noting that the two trucks will be offered with different interiors, luxury models and enhanced powertrains, including a choice of gasoline or diesel engines. For the first time, the Z71 off-road suspension is optional and includes additional chassis and suspension equipment, including skid plates.

The trucks are expected to hit showrooms early next year.

A new Gen-IV 6.0-liter gas V8 engine with variable valve timing and an enhanced, more powerful version of the Duramax 6.6-liter turbodiesel are the engine choices for the Silverado and Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD models. The gas engine is linked by a new Hydra-matic six-speed automatic transmission. Duramax-powered trucks get a six-speed Allison 1000 automatic transmission.

The 6.0-liter V8 is rated at an estimated 312 horsepower and 373 pound-feet of torque. The 6.6-liter turbodiesel is rated at 365 hp and 660 lb-ft of torque.

The Silverado is available in WT, LT and LTZ versions, while the Sierra is available in WT, SLE and SLT trim. The range of configurations includes three cab styles, three cargo box styles and five wheelbase lengths. GM said the trucks feature more distinct brand differentiations than any previous generation, including new grilles, headlamps, hoods and front fenders.

The two trucks feature an optional cargo-management system in the box, and a range of dealer-ordered accessories, including a sliding diamond-plate toolbox, a sliding bed divider, diamond-plate side-storage boxes and a bicycle mount.

Both trucks get new seat construction, including a stadium-style rear seat with a 60/40 split design that folds up, and under-seat storage systems. Premium interiors are standard on the uplevel Silverado LTZ and Sierra SLT and include power-adjustable heated bucket seats, leather-surface seats, leather-covered steering wheel and chrome trim.

What this means to you: GM covers the waterfront with the heavy-duty versions of its new pickups, giving the nod to off-roaders and luxury seekers alike.

omicron

The Pirate

It would look a lot better if the front bumper was all one color.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

The Pirate

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Speed_Racer

- Those are huge wheel arches for such small wheels.
- That front end is visually too large for the cabin section of the truck.
- Not a big fan of the rear whheel arches, either.

It seems like the front, middle, and rear were designed by three separate studios, but they forgot to compare notes along the way.

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on September 28, 2006, 10:01:10 AM
It would look a lot better if the front bumper was all one color.
It would look a lot better if the front bumper wasn't lower then the rocker panels.  That bumper is freaking huge!  It looks dumb.

MX793

Why'd they even bother with a wheel cutout in the rear fender?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Holy Moses those chrome slabs on the lower corners of the front end are out of place.

ifcar

sandertheshark

I'm almost sure these pictures aren't the real deal.  Everything's too far out of proportion.

TBR

I am sure they are real. SWB heavy duty trucks have always looked a little goofy and GM has historically put way too small tires on their 4x4 HD offerings.

280Z Turbo

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on September 28, 2006, 09:47:44 PM
Not for those who work construction.

or tow

I've had the opportunity to tow both boats and haulmark style trailers with a 1/2 ton and a 1 ton truck.  In terms of power, the 1/2 ton did just fine, but the 1 ton truck was better at everything else.  It's brakes weren't as fazed, handled the weight much better, was just all around more stable and predictable.  If I owned a trailer, I would definitely pony up for the HD version.

The Pirate

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 28, 2006, 01:39:25 PM
It would look a lot better if the front bumper wasn't lower then the rocker panels.  That bumper is freaking huge!  It looks dumb.

blame the safety nazis for that one

omicron

Well, very few people in Australia have anything remotely like these trucks, and yet we still manage to tow and carry things.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: omicron on September 29, 2006, 07:29:47 AM
Well, very few people in Australia have anything remotely like these trucks, and yet we still manage to tow and carry things.
That's because you guys get all the cool cars down there, like the Falcon Ute. We need to bring back the truck-cars here. And I'm not talking about the Honda Ridgeline.

And you can tow with almost any car to some extent. I have a hitch on my Fucus, it's good for 1100lbs.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

Quote from: NACar on September 29, 2006, 07:51:47 AM
That's because you guys get all the cool cars down there, like the Falcon Ute. We need to bring back the truck-cars here. And I'm not talking about the Honda Ridgeline.

And you can tow with almost any car to some extent. I have a hitch on my Fucus, it's good for 1100lbs.

This is true. The vast majority of builders down here drive either Falcon XR8 or Commodore SS utes and one-tonners; plumbers and other contractors drive either Toyota Hilux utes or Hiace vans.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on September 29, 2006, 07:55:05 AM
This is true. The vast majority of builders down here drive either Falcon XR8 or Commodore SS utes and one-tonners; plumbers and other contractors drive either Toyota Hilux utes or Hiace vans.
But can they tow a 6000 lbs boat, or a 18,000 lbs 60' travel trailer, or carry 4000+ lbs in the box?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 28, 2006, 05:49:08 PM
I'm almost sure these pictures aren't the real deal.  Everything's too far out of proportion.

Are you kidding? Have you seen the hideous cars they've been pumping out lately? I don't think it's beyond them to sell that thing as you're seeing now. After all, they have to compete with the Ram, which looks just as ridiculous.

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on September 28, 2006, 09:56:38 PM

blame the safety nazis for that one
The 2008 Ford Super Duty doesn't have a bumper that low, and neither do the Dodges or Toyota Tundra.  I think GM f---ed up with this truck.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 29, 2006, 07:58:34 AM
But can they tow a 6000 lbs boat, or a 18,000 lbs 60' travel trailer, or carry 4000+ lbs in the box?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say about 94% of people who own trucks with those capabilities will never use them.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on September 29, 2006, 07:59:22 AM
Are you kidding? Have you seen the hideous cars they've been pumping out lately? I don't think it's beyond them to sell that thing as you're seeing now. After all, they have to compete with the Ram, which looks just as ridiculous.
Are you smoking crack again?  :tounge:  Ram is by far the best looking truck on the market.  It is a polarizing design which creates reactions like yours and reactions like mine.  That's the best way to design a vehicle.  I hate vehicles that don't offend anyone, because they also don't create any passion.

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 29, 2006, 07:58:34 AM

No, they certainly can't. Maximum towing capacity for all Holden utes is just over 3500lbs.
Of course, the population is much smaller, so the need for that sort of thing is far, far smaller.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 29, 2006, 08:02:00 AM
Are you smoking crack again?  :tounge:  Ram is by far the best looking truck on the market.  It is a polarizing design which creates reactions like yours and reactions like mine.  That's the best way to design a vehicle.  I hate vehicles that don't offend anyone, because they also don't create any passion.

I prefer to find my passion while driving the vehicle, as opposed to just looking at it; but since we're talking about styling, I actually preffer the F-150. I am offended by that enourmous chrome grille on the Ram. I am not a fan of chrome, or oversized lumbering gas-guzzling trucks being used unnecessarily as daily drivers. I like how the SRT-10 looks though. It must be the crack.  :tounge:

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 29, 2006, 08:02:00 AM
Are you smoking crack again? :tounge: Ram is by far the best looking truck on the market. It is a polarizing design which creates reactions like yours and reactions like mine. That's the best way to design a vehicle. I hate vehicles that don't offend anyone, because they also don't create any passion.

For the most part, I agree entirely with your last point. There will always be some cars that everyone loves, but generally, if you want people to love a car to death it has to offend someone.

mazda6er

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

omicron

The main problem I have with these vehicles, though, as NACar refers to, is that their capabilities will rarely be exploited. The V6 Holden One-Tonner or Toyota Hilux driver will be able to do 90% of what the giant red thing can, and when a situation arises where a load exceeds their payload, there's always home delivery, or hire trucks, or other short-term alternatives.

Of course Big Red has its uses - but IMO the payoff is too great. On aggregate, mind.