***2007 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Premiers in M?hldorf***

Started by cawimmer430, October 01, 2006, 04:17:20 AM

cawimmer430

The new Mercedes-Benz CL and GL-Classes premiered in M?hldorf about a week ago. I went up to the dealership to check the event out. I'd already checked out the GL-Class. A nice SUV overall. Pretty massive and huge but thankfully available in GL320 CDI form.

Here, I also saw my second and third real-life CL-Classes - and I like what I see. You really have to see the car in person to appreciate the design.

My Impressions

Exterior:

Compared to the old C215 CL-Class, the new C216 looks visually smaller, but at the same time, it appears roomier on the inside. The fender flares are just like on the S-Class: you're not really bothered by them. At the same time, they add a nice muscular stance to the car. In the pictures, the car might appear bloated, but it's rather sleek and classy-looking, not fat at all. Like I said earlier, it appears visually smaller than the old CL. Just like the S-Class, I feel that this new CL makes the old model appear "boring". And that's saying a lot since I always considered the old C215 CL to be one of the most gorgeous cars out there.

Interior:

The cockpit is actually quite nice. I've warmed up to the W221 S-Class and now the C216 CL-Class dashboard design. Best of all, the materials are really good. The leather felt and looked lightyears ahead of the stuff you see in some current MB's. Also, the wood that decorated parts of the interior made a very high-quality impression on me. Sitting inside the car, I noticed that the layout is pretty sweet. Everything is within reach and the center console ins't as busy as in the old CL. The leather seats also felt plush and comfortable, like they should in a car of this class.

Overall:

A very nice car, given the positive initial impressions. I'm working on getting a testdrive with the car, as I'd really like to find out for myself how this baby drives. I expect it to be a fusion between comfort and sport - just like the W221 S-Class was when I drove it.

Enjoy the pics!

Due to the Distronic feature, the star upfront on this CL is plastic.  :P

CL # 2

Some GL-Class pictures. A GL320 CDI and GL420 CDI.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

nickdrinkwater

Nice pics  :praise:  I'm still undecided about the looks of the new CL.

I saw a GL Class a couple of weeks ago.  It's massive!  :confused:

cawimmer430

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on October 01, 2006, 04:59:45 AM
Nice pics  :praise:  I'm still undecided about the looks of the new CL. Wait until you see it in real life.  ;)

I saw a GL Class a couple of weeks ago.  It's massive!  :confused: Massive indeed. Won't be as popular as the ML, but thankfully it comes with a diesel engine option. The GL320 CDI will be by far the most popular GL.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

TheIntrepid

Is this an old thread? I remember Wimmer posting a sighting of the CL and GLs have been around Canada for a few months now.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Submariner

Quote from: touareg208 on October 01, 2006, 08:25:23 AM
Is this an old thread? I remember Wimmer posting a sighting of the CL and GLs have been around Canada for a few months now.

No, these are new pictures.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Quote from: touareg208 on October 01, 2006, 08:25:23 AM

CREATED TODAY  :praise:

I saw the new CL before though in my town square. And I posted some GL pictures before. But these pics are all new.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

Nice pictures, Wimmer.   I think the CL looks better in darker colors, though I will wait to pass judgement until I see one in real life.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Is it just me, or does the car look much smaller than the previous generation in this picture:

cawimmer430

Quote from: BMWDave on October 01, 2006, 08:35:17 AM
Nice pictures, Wimmer.   I think the CL looks better in darker colors, though I will wait to pass judgement until I see one in real life.

I think the regular CL in silver looks ok, but the AMG version in silver looks hot (from the pics). You're right, darker colors seem to suit this CL more.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on October 01, 2006, 08:39:54 AM
Is it just me, or does the car look much smaller than the previous generation in this picture:

Like I said. Visually, the new CL seems smaller than the outgoing model- but feels more spacious on the inside.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

thewizard16

I really like the looks of the new CL. Very attractive. I've seen several GLs around town, and they just look like bloated M-classes to me.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

IrishGuy

I love the looks of that. I'm not sure about that interior though...
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

pommes-t

I really, really like.

But somehow the old one looks nicer to me. But this was one of the sweetest cars EVER!!!  :rockon:

Maksx

CaseyNPham

Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

SVT_Power

Cheap plastic star? Talk about going downward with cheap plastic pieces  :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

omicron

I think I'll definitely have to wait until I see it in person. I didn't much like the W221, but that is starting to grow on me, so maybe the same thing will happen with this new CL.

That is still fugly, though.

cawimmer430

Quote from: thewizard16 on October 01, 2006, 01:56:41 PM
I really like the looks of the new CL. Very attractive. I've seen several GLs around town, and they just look like bloated M-classes to me.

To me, the GL doesn't look anywhere near the M-Class (except on the interior), but they're massive cars. I'm just glad that it also comes with more engine choices. When offering a car like this in Europe, you have to make sure it's got engine choices to suit a large audience.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: M_power on October 01, 2006, 09:50:17 PM
Cheap plastic star? Talk about going downward with cheap plastic pieces  :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

The grille on our current E320 is PLASTIC. A lot of luxury cars employ chrome-imitating plastic these days. You'll probably only find real chrome on the grille of a Bentley or Rolls Royce these days.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de