"Spy" sketches of the new Impala

Started by gasoline, October 01, 2006, 11:43:54 AM

gasoline

http://www.thegmsource.com/index.php?categoryid=9&p2_articleid=82

Click to enlarge:

and

(Both pictures from C. Pauwels at www.thegmsource.com for those who don't want to click through to the site).
-----------------------------------

MX793

Impala?  Try 4-door Camaro, and it'll never happen.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

lol You let me know when they actually make an Impala that looks that radical.  :thumbsup:  :rolleyes:

Catman

gasoline

I like the top sketch. They'd dare not make the below one.

MX793

Quote from: gasoline on October 01, 2006, 02:14:21 PM
I like the top sketch. They'd dare not make the below one.

Both sketches are copies of the Camaro concept with an extra set of doors slotted in there.  The top one is just the rear view with rectangular tailpipes and slightly tweaked tail lamps.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

pommes-t

Life could be soooo easy.

Or as a famous Australian singer would tell American GM managers: "I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky lucky..."  ;) :lol:

Stupid GM!!!    :banghead:

Jawad

So forget the spy pictures, lets just look at the SPY DRAWINGS.  That's like double whammy.

gasoline

Quote from: pommes-t on October 01, 2006, 05:35:15 PM

Life could be soooo easy.

Or as a famous Australian singer would tell American GM managers: "I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky lucky..."  ;) :lol:

Stupid GM!!!    :banghead:
Pommes-T, that car is too bland for America.
It smells of the mid-nineties (Lincoln LS, say)

giant_mtb

Quote from: gasoline on October 02, 2006, 12:21:20 AM
Pommes-T, that car is too bland for America.
It smells of the mid-nineties (Lincoln LS, say)

The Lincoln LS is a great-looking car.  Well, IMO.

ifcar

The bland looks of the Lincoln LS killed it in the US, when something more interesting could have been their CTS.

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on October 02, 2006, 06:32:10 AM
The bland looks of the Lincoln LS killed it in the US, when something more interesting could have been their CTS.

The tiny back seat didn't help much either.  But the LS did bring in much younger blood than previous Lincoln offerings, which generally appealed to the nursing home crowd.
Needs more Jiggawatts

ifcar

The rear seat wasn't that bad. But they really didn't bring in that many more young people, nowhere nearly the way Cadillac did with the CTS.

TBR

The only person I know with a LS is in his seventies. His other car is a Town Car and the LS replaced a Mark VIII.

mazda6er

Quote from: TBR on October 02, 2006, 08:17:22 PM
The only person I know with a LS is in his seventies. His other car is a Town Car and the LS replaced a Mark VIII.
Ten bucks says he can't even tell the difference in handling between the LS and the Town Car. My mom can't tell the difference between my car and her Taurus. :confused:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

If he was happy with a Mark VIII I imagine that he can't tell the difference.

Raza

Quote from: Catman on October 02, 2006, 08:29:32 PM
Same here.  Look hot.

I think the issue is that people think anything that isn't overstyled is bland.  Bland is lacking in character, taste, liveliness.  Bland is a last gen Toyota Camry.  This is just styled well.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I'd still take the Commodore for the stick, but I wouldn't mind revving engines with a few of those. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on October 02, 2006, 10:37:45 AM
The rear seat wasn't that bad. But they really didn't bring in that many more young people, nowhere nearly the way Cadillac did with the CTS.

Rear legroom was in compact car territory in those cars.  In fact, I think my 3 has a smidge more rear legroom.  For a car that big on the outside, I would have expected more space inside.  Then again, the BMW 5 series of that era wasn't any better.
Needs more Jiggawatts

gasoline

Quote from: Raza on October 02, 2006, 08:31:52 PM
I think the issue is that people think anything that isn't overstyled is bland.  Bland is lacking in character, taste, liveliness.  Bland is a last gen Toyota Camry.  This is just styled well.
It's not ugly. It's just "mid-nineties."

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on October 02, 2006, 08:17:22 PM

At a nearby assisted living facility, the parking lot includes the expected assortment of Regals, Cieras, and Camrys, as well as an LS and a CTS. Brand loyalty will be strong no matter who you're aiming for with the product.

Raza

Quote from: gasoline on October 02, 2006, 11:43:51 PM
It's not ugly. It's just "mid-nineties."

I don't see the connection at all.  It looks completely contemporary.  The only thing that sets it apart is the fact that the side sills aren't too high, so you can actually see out of the windows.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

It just doesn't look new. The closest thing I see to it is the 1999 Infiniti G20, and even that looked bland when it came out.

omicron

Quote from: ifcar on October 03, 2006, 05:13:51 AM
It just doesn't look new. The closest thing I see to it is the 1999 Infiniti G20, and even that looked bland when it came out.

I think it's brilliant, but then, I'm biased.

AnotherVictim

Quote from: omicron on October 03, 2006, 08:05:31 AM
I think it's brilliant, but then, I'm biased.

I'm with you. I think it looks great. The car may have styling cues from years ago... but I still find it visually appealing.