Rusty/stuck bolts...

Started by giant_mtb, October 02, 2006, 04:09:25 PM

giant_mtb

So there were fog lights on my car when I got it (aftermarket) and all the wires were cut so they weren't really in working order...so I bought new ones and want to take the old ones off, but the mounting brackets are stuck on the frame-rail of the car 'cause the bolts are stuck and rusty.  I gave them a good dose of WD-40 and I still can't get them out.  Today I cut off most of the bracket but the main mounting points are still intact and I want it off completely so I can put the new ones on...

How the heck do I get them out?

280Z Turbo

My usual routine is:

1.) Pound on end of rachet/wrench with a hammer
2.) Use PB blaster and try again
3.) Get a cheater bar and try again
4.) Try drilling them out
5.) Give up

You can also try a torch to heat the bolts up and see if that helps.

giant_mtb

Thanks...I like number one.  Dunno why I didn't think of that before.  :banghead:

MX793

Torch usually works well, but you need an acetyline torch.  Propane isn't usually hot enough.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BartsSVO

Quote from: MX793 on October 02, 2006, 05:48:45 PM
Torch usually works well, but you need an acetyline torch.  Propane isn't usually hot enough.

MAPP gas works very well.

I have also heard that melting wax and allowing it to wick its way into the threads of a stubborn fastener can help lubricate it and may help it come off easier.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BartsSVO on October 02, 2006, 06:07:30 PM
MAPP gas works very well.

I have also heard that melting wax and allowing it to wick its way into the threads of a stubborn fastener can help lubricate it and may help it come off easier.
Dremel tool- cut the end off, hammer it out with a punch, or pull with vicegrips.

In fact, if your wrench is slipping, a pair of vice grips latched on really tight will sometimes help.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

OR, get a set of these:
I found a set on line for $100. Belive me, they will grip ANY nuts. Something will happen, of course that could mean anything from breaking your socket extention or snapping the bolt or actually turning the nut. :lol:
S&K Turbo Sockets.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Turbo Sockets rawk! :rockon:

If those fail I use MAPP gas or oxacetylene, depending on the situation, often times in conjunction with the turbo sockets.  With a small fastener like that you may just have to drill it out, and then you can use self-tapping screws to fasten the new foglights. That would be cheaper than spending $100 on a tap and die set. (sp?) 

giant_mtb

Well I gave up on those stupid bolts.  First, I'm going to mount the new fog lights in a different spot so I don't necessarily need to get the old brackets off.  They aren't noticeable, anyways.  I hooked up the new lights to see if they work and I was impressed with how bright they are.  They're just those 20 dollar 55W fog lights from Wal-Mart.

The only problem is that I have to route the wires through the firewall and into the car for the switch.  No thank you!  I decided that I'm going to return these fog lights and get the ones with a wireless remote (key fob) for 20 dollars more. 

Rupert

There might already be holes in the firewall you can use...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on October 02, 2006, 09:06:43 PM
I bet the firewall in a Lumina is a lot harder to get at than one in a Trooper; especially the under the dash part. Wireless would be kinda neat. If you live in a state tought inspections, you still might have to wire a relay that shuts off the fog lights automatically when the high beams are on.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

"Belive me, they will grip ANY nuts."

It's a good thing Wimmariner isn't reading this thread. :devil:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Psilos on October 02, 2006, 09:06:43 PM

Indeed there is.  I guess you've never looked under the hood of a 3.4L Lumina or Monte Carlo before, hey?

I dunno if you can tell by that picture, but it is absolutely packed in the engine bay.  It's hard enough just getting your fingers through all that mess.  Good luck gettin' through the firewall without taking out a bunch of things.

We don't have inspections here in MI, so I don't need to worry about a relay, and the wireless remote idea is so much simpler and easier than everything else.  I dunno why I didn't just buy those ones to begin with.

VTEC_Inside

When I wired up the fog lights on my Accord I used a relay under the hood with one wire going to a factoy master cruise control switch for that factory stealth look :). I used the swich to ground the relay, so I didn't even need to find a power source inside, just go to the switch and then ground somewhere. :)
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

omicron

Quote from: ifcar on October 03, 2006, 04:33:13 AM
"Belive me, they will grip ANY nuts."

It's a good thing Wimmariner isn't reading this thread. :devil:

:lol: :lol:

I'm surprised no-one picked up on this rather humorous little insertion from you, Iffy.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: NACar on October 02, 2006, 09:18:59 PM
I bet the firewall in a Lumina is a lot harder to get at than one in a Trooper; especially the under the dash part. Wireless would be kinda neat. If you live in a state tought inspections, you still might have to wire a relay that shuts off the fog lights automatically when the high beams are on.
Which still seems retarded to me- if you have the brights on, why can't the fogs be used??
It's not like you'd be blinding anyone....

I had rewired the switch on my SHO so you could use the fogs w/ brights or even if just the parking lights were on...
Will

giant_mtb

So, I got different fog lights yesterday...wirelessly operated with a key fob.  SO much easier!  I mounted them and hooked them up in a flash and they work great.  They are surprisingly bright and the remote operation is very handy.  They're 55 watts and I could drive with just the fog lights if I really wanted to.  I didn't have to set up a relay 'cause we don't have inspections so I can use them with my brights and low beams.

I'm satisfied.

S204STi

Just because you don't have inspections in your state doesn't mean it is legal to do that.  You may want to check it out.  A cop could possibly fine you for it if is is illegal.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: R-inge on October 04, 2006, 08:35:03 PM
Just because you don't have inspections in your state doesn't mean it is legal to do that. You may want to check it out. A cop could possibly fine you for it if is is illegal.

Who cares? This is Michigan we're talking about!

Step 2: Gutting the cat! Muhahaha!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 04, 2006, 09:21:21 PM

Easier to just replace it....  :mask:
Will

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 08, 2006, 06:55:24 PM
Easier to just replace it....  :mask:

I agree, then at least you have a $800 part lying around if you need it, instead of $750 worth of monolith laying on your driveway and $50 worth of metal still intact.

Rupert

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 04, 2006, 09:21:21 PM

That's not easy to do neatly. I'd get some practice on a hamster or gerbil first...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA