What's the point of the Nissan Maxima?

Started by gasoline, October 06, 2006, 04:31:51 PM

gasoline

Against which vehicles does this car compete?

Sentra/Civic/Corolla

Altima/Accord/Camry

Maxima/What?/What?

It's just "out there" in the market, and I confuse it and the Altima up all the time (Altima? Maxima? Allegra? Boniva?)

No, but seriously...
-----------------------------------

Jawad

For this generation, its much more refined then the current Altima, though not much else.  Its suppose to compete against full size cars, or atleast that it should be doing for the next generation.  But I just wonder how anyone can mix the two up.  Yes there are similarities, but either you just dont like Nissan or you need glasses.

El Barto

Thats a good question.  When they built mine it was Maxima/Accord/Camry.  The closest car I can think of would be the Avalon.
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

ifcar

Quote from: gasoline on October 06, 2006, 04:31:51 PM
Against which vehicles does this car compete?

Sentra/Civic/Corolla

Altima/Accord/Camry

Maxima/What?/What?

It's just "out there" in the market, and I confuse it and the Altima up all the time (Altima? Maxima? Allegra? Boniva?)

No, but seriously...

Avalon, Impala, Five Hundred, LaCrosse, Azera, 300/Charger? The Passat is also pretty close, even if it doesn't match up against the lineup.

It's just an upscale large-midsize sedan.

TBR

The problem is that the Altima actually has more interior space!

afty

Back in the day, Camry and Accord were smaller and less fancy cars.  They didn't offer V6s and were about the same size as today's Corolla and Civic.  Nissan sold the Stanza, which became the Altima, to compete with them.  At that time, both Nissan and Toyota offered sedans with 6-cylinder engines that were above these cars -- the Cressida and the Maxima.  Cressida died and was later revived as the Avalon.  Maxima did very well and continued in the same market.

Over time, the Camry and Accord moved upscale.  They grew in size to match the Maxima, and they offered option V6s.  Altima was outclassed by these cars, and Maxima lost its primary advantages of size and V6 power.  So in 2002, Nissan upsized the Altima to compete directly with Camry and Accord.  Now Altima was slightly larger than these two cars, and it offered a big V6.  It sold amazingly well, more than doubling the sales of the previous generation.

But now Altima overlapped with Maxima and stole sales from its big brother.  I for one know that if the '02 Altima had not come out, I would be driving an '02 Maxima instead.  Nissan redesigned the Maxima for '04, but IMO did not separate it enough from the Altima.  It is not luxurious enough to compete with the Avalon and Lucerne, and it is not as sporty as either the Altima or the G35.  Nissan needs to think hard about what they want to do with the Maxima in '09.  I think they need to abandon the old "4-door sports car" image and push full-out for luxury.  Maybe give it AWD to separate it from the new Altima.

TBR

The problem is that full out luxury wouldn't fit in with the Nissan brand. I would like to see them make sort of a budget M35 out of it.

280Z Turbo

I think the Datsun Maxima (810) was originally supposed to be a some sort of affordable semi-sporty sedan with its 2.4L Z-car based motor, independent suspension, and RWD.

Check this out for some in depth answers:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=104713

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on October 06, 2006, 10:13:50 PM

The Malibu rear seat is at least as comfortable as the Impala's, the G6's is better than the Grand Prix.

TBR

Raza

Quote from: TBR on October 06, 2006, 10:13:50 PM

The bigger problem is that the Maxima is a crap car and a shame to its lineage.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on October 07, 2006, 06:42:07 AM
Well that's GM for you...

My point is that it's not just Nissan. And both of the Nissans are roomy enough that it doesn't matter, unlike the GMs.

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on October 07, 2006, 05:06:00 AM
The Malibu rear seat is at least as comfortable as the Impala's, the G6's is better than the Grand Prix.

I suspect some of that is due to the Malibu and G6 riding on much much newer platforms with better space efficiency than the Impala and GP.  Hopefully the rear seat space in the larger cars will be improved when GM finally moves them off the old W platform.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

If their replacements are style-focused RWD cars, I can't say I picture space efficiency improving substantially.