Started by BMWDave, May 30, 2005, 07:33:11 AM

Was i-Drive a flop?

yes
8 (61.5%)
no
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

BMWDave

Take all things into account...price increase vs. price decrease, and keep in mind that although you may not like the actual interface, I am talking about the general idea of i-Drive.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SJ_GTI

:praise:

Anyway I don't think its a flop. Its fairly easy to use IMHO, though I wouldn't want to mess with it while I was in motion.

The main thing I am not fond of though, is the dash placement. I think the "center hump" messes up the style of the interior. I know its ergonomically better, but I am shallow so design is more important to me than functionality in this instance.  B)  

Raza

Was the system a flop? In its original form, yes.  However, the idea was quite revolutionary.  So no, iDrive is not a flop.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Speed_Racer

I think it was a flop. The whole purpose was to reduce disorganization on the dash, and allow a lot of items to be controlled from one spot.

THe problem was that it was to difficult to control. Most items could not be safely changed while driving, and some couldn't even be found by the average buyer. To have to read a huge manual before driving your car solely on the i-Drive is rediculous. Most people want a car that they can hop in and drive.

THen, add in the complexities of the rest of the car (starting and actually moving the car), and BMWs quality and reliability issues (due to the electronics),  and its a wonder the whole new lot of BMWs didn't flop. But as long as it has the propellor on the hood...

A guy who owns a business next door to the one I work for bought one of the new BMW 5series last summer. He is already looking to trade it in for Audi because of all the times he has had to bring his car in for electronic glitches. Kind of sad, especially considering the pricetag on that kind of car.

Just my $0.02 worth.

ifcar

It's impossible to measure the results of the system. So far as I know, sales of the 5 and 7-Series have increased after their redesigns, but there is nothing to suggest that the iDrive availability either caused that or prevented further increases.

However, considering the number of complaints generating from the system, and how much that BMW had to spend to develop and then modify it, I'd certainly not call it a success.

TBR

I think it is a decent system for changing small detail options and work a nav system (thought I still think a touch screen would do that stuff better), but for day to day stuff it isn't a very good solution, as BMW has apparantly found out.  My main problem is with how idrive and idrive type systems dictate that the interior be designed a certain way. First, since the screen is used all the time it has to be at the top of the dash and can easily become an eyesore (see BMWs and Acura RL). Second, since most manufacturers chose to put it the control knob on the center stack the other buttons have to be squashed together doing nothing but enhancing the cluttered look (see Acura RL and, to a much less extent, the Infiniti M). Third, if you put the knob on the center console you have to design the centerstack in a way that really makes the redundant buttons look even more jumbled. So, because idrive (and idrive type systems) doesn't get rid of button jumble and instead makes it even worse I don't think it is a good system.

Run Away

I think it is...cool idea, poor execution.
They would have sold more cars had they not used it.

BMWDave

QuoteI think it is...cool idea, poor execution.
They would have sold more cars had they not used it.
You can never be sure of that.  The previous gen didnt have i-Drive and yet sold less units overall.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

the idea itself was ok, but the execution was a flop. it cleared up the dash, but made it harder to use.

cozmik

I voted yes, but it was also a success as well. It did eliminate a lot of dash clutter, which was the main goal that was advertised, but for the common folk, it was/is hard to use as well. It requires too much thinking to be used while driving as well. It is almost a potential safety issue. Overall it neither succeeded or failed, it just kind of is.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Lorinser

I thought it was a really neat idea on BMW's part, but the idea was not executed very well.

IrishGuy

Depends on how you look at it. If you take into consideration that it was meant to clean up the dash with central functionality then yes, it was a success - it allowed the control of the usual dash functions via a central location and device. If you take into consideration any aspect of easier usability by the vehicle owner then no, it was not a success on that merit. Does that answer the question?
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

BMWDave

QuoteDepends on how you look at it. If you take into consideration that it was meant to clean up the dash with central functionality then yes, it was a success - it allowed the control of the usual dash functions via a central location and device. If you take into consideration any aspect of easier usability by the vehicle owner then no, it was not a success on that merit. Does that answer the question?
I was asking for opinions on the matter, and you gave one, so yes it answers the question ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

Laconian

I don't think it's a flop. Is Microsoft Windows a flop? I bet you're using it now, so no it's not. But did you ever try using Windows 1.0? What a pile!

The point is, the first versions of anything tend to suck and it's the early adopters that pay the price. Eventually the infotainment kiosks are going to be so transparent and intuitive that we will hardly even know they're there. Kudos to BMW for having the balls to step into uncharted territory.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raghavan

QuoteI don't think it's a flop. Is Microsoft Windows a flop? I bet you're using it now, so no it's not. But did you ever try using Windows 1.0? What a pile!

The point is, the first versions of anything tend to suck and it's the early adopters that pay the price. Eventually the infotainment kiosks are going to be so transparent and intuitive that we will hardly even know they're there. Kudos to BMW for having the balls to step into uncharted territory.
true. good point.

ifcar

QuoteI don't think it's a flop. Is Microsoft Windows a flop? I bet you're using it now, so no it's not. But did you ever try using Windows 1.0? What a pile!

But what about the use of a rotary menu system instead of standard button or voice-activated controls do you think will improve to the point where it is the system of choice in most vehicles? IMO the iDrive system has gone as far as it can, and the latest upgrades have been introducing additional redundant systems.

Laconian

But what about the use of a rotary menu system instead of standard button or voice-activated controls do you think will improve to the point where it is the system of choice in most vehicles? IMO the iDrive system has gone as far as it can, and the latest upgrades have been introducing additional redundant systems.
Ah, I'm not defending the knob, no way. The thread topic instructs for us to debate the idea of iDrive, not necessarily the interface... :)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Ah, I'm not defending the knob, no way. The thread topic instructs for us to debate the idea of iDrive, not necessarily the interface... :)
So where exactly do you see this concept improving to? What will change, and why will those changes make it a better system than what most cars already have?

Raghavan

So where exactly do you see this concept improving to? What will change, and why will those changes make it a better system than what most cars already have?
probably the software.

ifcar

probably the software.
Right, but what could they do to make it good enough that it is actually better than button/voice-ac controls? The upgrades to the system that they've done so far were to limit the need for it, not a sign of a strong system.

Raghavan

probably the software.
Right, but what could they do to make it good enough that it is actually better than button/voice-ac controls? The upgrades to the system that they've done so far were to limit the need for it, not a sign of a strong system.
ditch the knob, and have buttons that control the idrive.

SJ_GTI

I think having something like iDrive will allow automakers to give owners better control over the settings in their cars. Things that you may have gone to the dealer to change previously could now be done through the system. In performance cars it could be used to customize the  settings for the engine. For luxury cars  you could adjust things like steering ratios, suspension settings, DSC intervention, etc...

I think having a system like iDrive opens up a world of possiblities that automakers haven't considered before. Personally I just think most reviewers are too old and against change to give iDrive a chance.  :praise:  

TBR

QuoteI think having something like iDrive will allow automakers to give owners better control over the settings in their cars. Things that you may have gone to the dealer to change previously could now be done through the system. In performance cars it could be used to customize the  settings for the engine. For luxury cars  you could adjust things like steering ratios, suspension settings, DSC intervention, etc...

I think having a system like iDrive opens up a world of possiblities that automakers haven't considered before. Personally I just think most reviewers are too old and against change to give iDrive a chance.  :praise:
What exactly does idrive allow you to do that a good touch screen system wouldn't?  

SJ_GTI

QuoteI think having something like iDrive will allow automakers to give owners better control over the settings in their cars. Things that you may have gone to the dealer to change previously could now be done through the system. In performance cars it could be used to customize the  settings for the engine. For luxury cars  you could adjust things like steering ratios, suspension settings, DSC intervention, etc...

I think having a system like iDrive opens up a world of possiblities that automakers haven't considered before. Personally I just think most reviewers are too old and against change to give iDrive a chance.  :praise:
What exactly does idrive allow you to do that a good touch screen system wouldn't?
I don't understand your point. Touch screen is a different interface but is the same type of system.

So, in theory iDrive doesn't do anything you can't theoretically do with a touch screen. But then I ask...why is a touch screen better than a control wheel. Certainly outside of cars the "mouse" is more popular than touch screens.

TBR

QuoteI think having something like iDrive will allow automakers to give owners better control over the settings in their cars. Things that you may have gone to the dealer to change previously could now be done through the system. In performance cars it could be used to customize the  settings for the engine. For luxury cars  you could adjust things like steering ratios, suspension settings, DSC intervention, etc...

I think having a system like iDrive opens up a world of possiblities that automakers haven't considered before. Personally I just think most reviewers are too old and against change to give iDrive a chance.  :praise:
I don't understand your point. Touch screen is a different interface but is the same type of system.

So, in theory iDrive doesn't do anything you can't theoretically do with a touch screen. But then I ask...why is a touch screen better than a control wheel. Certainly outside of cars the "mouse" is more popular than touch screens.
The reason mouses are more popular than touch screens is quite simple, touch screens are much more expensive and with bigger screens they require more effort. But when you are talking about a smaller screen they are a much better solution, especially in a car. You don't have to concentrate as much plus they are more flexible.