Why choose a Camry over a Passat?

Started by gasoline, October 15, 2006, 12:02:17 PM

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on October 18, 2006, 06:22:18 PM
Have you driven it? It really does feel clumsy compared to the B5, with that high seating position and whatnot.

Nope, but I did spend an hour or so sitting in one.  So I can tell you that the cabin isn't as high quality as the B5's. 

If I were to buy another Volkswagen, it would a GTI, but if I were to make a straight replacement of my Passat, the GLI would be the best fit.  Get inside, and it even feels like my Passat.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

I don't like the GLI. The new Jetta just doesn't do it for me like the old one did -- the design falls apart at the C-Pillar. I'd rather have a GTI.

I personally felt that the interior was HQ but the whole layout made it feel like you were driving a truck. Steering was noticably more numb than the B5. Leatherette is standard, btw - though that might not be such a good thing. But yeah, I'm dissapointed. And I don't feel like the Jetta fills the B5s shoes despite having similar dimensions.

I wish I had pictures of our Passat. I took many, and i think I lost them somewhere between my old laptop and this one. I pushed that thing hard, and on shitty pavement. The lack of law enforcement overseas was wonderful, too. Maybe next summer I'll take it to Lebanon and bolt a turbocharger on, or swap for a 1.8T. Pipe dreams...

The Pirate

Quote from: The Pirate on October 17, 2006, 10:42:32 AM

Raza, how has the 1.8T engine proved as far as reliability and fuel consumption?  There is a local used dealer with an 03  or so Jetta wagon with a 5 speed and that engine.  It's pretty much equipped exactly as I would want too, so I might have to go check it out.

If it can get close to 30 mpg on the highway, I can live with that

Look, I'm quoting myself!

Anyways, I went and test drove it yesterday after work.  It was an 03, and had 86K miles, which is a little on the high side.  It's 3 years newer than my car, but the mileage is too close for me to do the whole debt thing again.  It was a great car though, nice drivetrain and VW switchgear is awesome.  It was silver though, I'd rather have a different color.  If I can find another wagon with power goodies, cruise, a sunroof and preferably cloth seats, and lower mileage, I'll probably go for it.

The only other thing that makes me leery of a VW is lack of a dealership close by.  I'm not expecting perfect reliability from it, and most indie guys around here are hesitant to work on a German car.  We'll see though, I need to do some more research.

I might just keep my car and get a bike or truck as well.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.