Why choose a Camry over a Passat?

Started by gasoline, October 15, 2006, 12:02:17 PM

gasoline

To me, the Passat looks way better and is more thoughtfully put together. You could never get an umbrella in a Camry. Besides, it's not as if the mags hate the Passat.

Assuming most Camry/Accord buyers are influenced by Consumer Reports, what did Consumer Reports have to say about it?
-----------------------------------

Raza

Consumer Reports, ironically, gets really excited about the Camry.

But at times, the Passat is more expensive, especially the B6, and it's more upscale. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

The Passat is more upscale. In Canadian prices, a 2.0T Passat manual base model goes $31,000.

For 2007 Camry, you get a 2.4L LE with like 6 standard airbags and an MP3 Stereo and a 5-speed auto for $25,800.

For that $31,000 Passat 2.0T price, you can get a $30,995 Toyota Camry SE V6, with the 268hp 3.5L V6, a hot looking body kit, and a 6-speed auto (with manumatic)...and many more standard features and crap.

Camry > Passat if you want Value for Money.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

gasoline

Quote from: Raza on October 15, 2006, 12:12:09 PM
Consumer Reports, ironically, gets really excited about the Camry.

But at times, the Passat is more expensive, especially the B6, and it's more upscale. 
But the Camry isn't exactly cheap. Isn't the average transaction price for one about $27,000? Or am I smoking?
I doubt the payments would be much higher either.

I think it could has to do with lack of advertising and a smaller dealer network.
-----------------------------------

TBR

Quote from: touareg208 on October 15, 2006, 12:15:08 PM
The Passat is more upscale. In Canadian prices, a 2.0T Passat manual base model goes $31,000.

For 2007 Camry, you get a 2.4L LE with like 6 standard airbags and an MP3 Stereo and a 5-speed auto for $25,800.

For that $31,000 Passat 2.0T price, you can get a $30,995 Toyota Camry SE V6, with the 268hp 3.5L V6, a hot looking body kit, and a 6-speed auto (with manumatic)...and many more standard features and crap.

Camry > Passat if you want Value for Money.

There is nothing hot looking about the Camry in any form. And, yeah, I would definitely take the Passat there, it is the better car (plus manual >>>>>>>> automatic).

SJ_GTI

I'd probably go with the Passat myself. I'd rather have the 6MT and 2.0T than the 6AT and 3.5 V6. The Passat isn't exactly an exciting car, but it is the same basic platform as the GTI and Jetta, so there are plenty of upgrades.

AKL

Quote from: gasoline on October 15, 2006, 12:02:17 PM
To me, the Passat looks way better and is more thoughtfully put together. You could never get an umbrella in a Camry. Besides, it's not as if the mags hate the Passat.

Assuming most Camry/Accord buyers are influenced by Consumer Reports, what did Consumer Reports have to say about it?

Not ME  :lol:

The Passat is expensive though. It wasn't even out when I bought my Accord anyways. I don't intend on shopping in this segment for my next car. Hopefully a BMW E46 or Audi A4 for my next car - or even the GTI :ohyeah:
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

ifcar

Camry is much less expensive, has more interior space, rides more softly, and has a better reliability rep. Those are some of the most important factors to family sedan buyers.

For what it's worth, CR has ranked the Passat over the Camry since the 1997 redesign, but those are rankings that don't factor in either reliability or price.

ro51092

The Passat is way too much $$. It might be a better car, but, for instance the V-6 Camry is in its mid-$20k's, whereas the V-6 Passat is in low-mid $30k's. To get a comparably equipped Passat for V-6 Camry money, you can "only" get the 2.0T. Just my $0.02.

SaltyDog

When you get into Passat money territory a 9-3 is a better choice.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ro51092

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 15, 2006, 05:56:34 PM
When you get into Passat money territory a 9-3 is a better choice.

Yeah, but when you get into 9-3 territory, there are also way better cars for the money.

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on October 15, 2006, 06:05:15 PM
Yeah, but when you get into 9-3 territory, there are also way better cars for the money.

The B6 Passat sits in a different market than the B5 Passat.  It's the type of car that is compared to something like an ES350.  It's softer than the old model, bigger, more comfortable.  It's not a sport sedan anymore.  That's what the Jetta is for.  Interior dimensions are almost exactly the same as the B5 Passat.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ro51092

Quote from: Raza on October 15, 2006, 06:48:35 PM
The B6 Passat sits in a different market than the B5 Passat.  It's the type of car that is compared to something like an ES350.  It's softer than the old model, bigger, more comfortable.  It's not a sport sedan anymore.  That's what the Jetta is for.  Interior dimensions are almost exactly the same as the B5 Passat.

You really considered the B5 a sport sedan??!! :confused:

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on October 15, 2006, 06:50:10 PM
You really considered the B5 a sport sedan??!! :confused:

Yes it is.  As someone who has pushed it to its limit and beyond, it's simply a FWD A4, if not bigger.  If a FWD A4 is a sport sedan, why isn't the Passat? 

I've done things in that car you couldn't even imagine possible in a family saloon like that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza on October 15, 2006, 06:58:26 PM
Yes it is. As someone who has pushed it to its limit and beyond, it's simply a FWD A4, if not bigger. If a FWD A4 is a sport sedan, why isn't the Passat?

I've done things in that car you couldn't even imagine possible in a family saloon like that.

Troll. No seriously a Passat isn't that upscale. My uncle drives a 2003 (loaded with every option) and it's not nearly as smooth, roomy, sporty, or luxurious as even my Camry. The only advantage it may have is a more ergonomic dash...but it's boring and black.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: touareg208 on October 15, 2006, 07:03:40 PM
Troll. No seriously a Passat isn't that upscale. My uncle drives a 2003 (loaded with every option) and it's not nearly as smooth, roomy, sporty, or luxurious as even my Camry. The only advantage it may have is a more ergonomic dash...but it's boring and black.

We're talking about the B6 here.  I never said the B5 was luxurious.  Certainly better put together than any other car in its class, though.

And it's funny that you're calling me a troll, and then calling the Camry sporty.  I haven't driven the new model yet, but the last Camry was downright dangerous at its limits. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

The B5 Passat is about the same size as the previous generation A6 (the one saxonyron used to have). Its bigger than the A4.

Is it a sports sedan? In certain configurations absolutely. Its questionable in others, but relative to the Camry there is no question its the sportier of the two.

But, as raza said the B6 moved upscale from the B5. I still think in certain trims it can be a sport sedan...the 3.6 AWD model comes with a sport suspension. The base model 2.0T comes with a 6-speed manual. The Passat weighs about the same as the Jetta GLI despite its extra wheelbase, so given a firm enough suspension it could hang with it. And as I said, i would take a 6MT and the 2.0T over a Camry V6 any day of the week. There is already plenty of aftermarket support for the Passat to upgrade its suspension if desired.

Raza

My car in particular is undertired, an issue I'd have addressed were I keeping the car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza on October 15, 2006, 08:14:06 PM
My car in particular is undertired, an issue I'd have addressed were I keeping the car.

Almost every new car is undertired.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SJ_GTI

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on October 15, 2006, 08:42:30 PM
Almost every new car is undertired.

I think its just the version he got. I am pretty sure the Passat V6 got the same wheel/tire combo as my A4 (235/45R17) and the W8 got the same basic tires as well.

Of course all the wheel/tires are practically interchangable with VAG. He could pull the wheels off an S4 and stick them on his Passat if he wanted. I think those are 235/40R18's.

JYODER240

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 15, 2006, 09:28:58 PM
I think its just the version he got. I am pretty sure the Passat V6 got the same wheel/tire combo as my A4 (235/45R17) and the W8 got the same basic tires as well.

Of course all the wheel/tires are practically interchangable with VAG. He could pull the wheels off an S4 and stick them on his Passat if he wanted. I think those are 235/40R18's.

I wasn't refering to just his car, i think the majority of new cars sold should have better rubber on them than what they do.

sportyaccordy

Bleh...like everything on this side of the pond it's too big for my tastes. A 2.0T Jetta is ideal. And appearance wise, I prefer the new Camry. Say what you want about it...I think it's sharp in contrast to the strange Jetta.

I wish the B5 Passat wasn't so...new age CT residing young dad-ish. A sport version would have broadened it's appeal, IMO. The B4 VR6 version was kinda cool.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 15, 2006, 09:28:58 PM

Yep, back in the day, Passat GLs and GLSs came stock with 15" rims (steel ones on the GL), and I have a GLS.  The new rubber I put on them go a long way, otherwise the old 195/65 MXV4s were too squashy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 15, 2006, 08:12:59 PM
The B5 Passat is about the same size as the previous generation A6 (the one saxonyron used to have). Its bigger than the A4.

Actually looking at it, according to MSN, the contemporary A4 was 179", the A6 was 192" (2" longer than my E class, as I recall), and the Passat was 185", slotting nicely between the two in length.  It's narrower than either, though, and the Passat was easily the lightest of the three, though the A4 and A6 are burdened by AWD.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Car Zeus

I think the Passat is OK but it still looks boring to me.

Just upgrade and get the A4.

The new Camry looks a lot better. SE trim makes it almost look sporty than the vanilla flavor of old.

93JC

Quote from: Car Zeus on October 16, 2006, 07:19:23 AM

The new Camry looks a lot better. SE trim makes it almost look sporty than the vanilla flavor of old.

:nutty:

Car Zeus

ChrisV

As anecdotal evidence, my boss has had 3 VWs, the last being a Passat. Vewry nice to drive, but all of them spent a lot of time at the dealership. He finally returned the Passat early on it's lease, paid the penalty, and got a Subaru.

Personally, I find the Passsat the better looking in the Camry/Passat comparo, but I'vebeen a VW fan since the old aircooled days, so I know I'm biased a bit between them. The Camry is cheaper and has a better reputation for reliability (thugh it's probably no more reliable in reality), and it doesn't look bad, just slightly less proportional to me. So, there are reasons people might choose one over the other.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

JYODER240

Quote from: Car Zeus on October 16, 2006, 07:19:23 AM

almost.

omicron

In Oz, at least, the price difference is far too great to encourage cross-shopping - irrespective of the advantages offered by the Passat.

A new Jetta is probably too small, and far less publicised to be considered that often as a Camry, either.