Spy Shots: 2007 Wrangler

Started by ifcar, May 31, 2005, 05:29:20 AM

ifcar

After many years and unexpected delays, Jeep will finally redesign the aging, yet classic Wrangler.

A redesigned Wrangler will debut for the 2007 model year in both the traditional two-door configuration as shown here, as well as a new four-door variant sitting on a longer wheelbase. A pickup derivative is a likely addition sometime during the next Wrangler's lifecycle.

Codenamed TK, the upcoming Wrangler may have a fixed top with removable panels, instead of the soft and/or hardtop offerings. A fold-down front windshield and removable doors, of course, are expected.

We are also expecting the new Wrangler to be powered by a 2.4-liter four-cylinder with 150 horsepower, or an optional 3.7-liter SOHC V-6. A 4.7-liter V-8 may follow a year or so after the Wrangler's launch.

Although traditional in its styling, look for some cues from the Jeep Rescue concept to make it all the way to the production Wrangler.

Catman

Looks nice so far.  You can actually see a little Rescue in the shape.

Raghavan

GMPenguin

That's not a spy shot!  Half the jeeps I see are covered in tarp. :rolleyes:  :P  

Fire It Up

Wow! It looks so different!  :rolleyes:  :P  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

R33 GT-R

It will now be boasting the same engine currently used in the E320 CDI.   :rockon:  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Speed_Racer

At least its still square. The 4.0L is past its prime. I recently spent a week with a Wrangler with the I-6. It had a lot of torque, and moved that Jeep quickly. But when it came time to fill that sucker, my wallet was crying. I think I got about 16-18 mpg. For some of you, that's normal, but I am used to 33-34 mpg.

Just to see something that small drink so much gas, it ruined the fun.

What they really need is to throw that diesel they have in the Liberty. Torque, and efficiency! Voilee!

ifcar

QuoteWow! It looks so different!  :rolleyes:  :P
It shouldn't have been designed to look anything like the current Wrangler; different is always better, right?  :rolleyes:  

Speed_Racer

If they changed the designs too radically, they would have alienated the diehard Jeepers. Now there's a group you don't want to piss off.

Take away their Cherokee, give them the soft-roader Liberty, but don't screw with their Wrangler.

And I agree. A Wrangler is a Wrangler, whether you like it or not.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteWow! It looks so different!? :rolleyes:? :P
It shouldn't have been designed to look anything like the current Wrangler; different is always better, right?  :rolleyes:
Should the Wrangler ever change its general appearance or dimensions it will be a sad day.  It's truly a niche vehicle that if deviated from would piss off millions who have owned or rode in them over the past 65 years.  From the 1940 Bantam Pilot Model to the latest version many things have changed as well as stayed the same.  Who doesn't remember their first ride in a Jeep without the top, good or bad.

Bantam Pilot
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BMWDave

Looking very good.  Those chunky tires point to some serious off roading ability.  Overall, looks great.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteAt least its still square. The 4.0L is past its prime. I recently spent a week with a Wrangler with the I-6. It had a lot of torque, and moved that Jeep quickly. But when it came time to fill that sucker, my wallet was crying. I think I got about 16-18 mpg. For some of you, that's normal, but I am used to 33-34 mpg.

Just to see something that small drink so much gas, it ruined the fun.

What they really need is to throw that diesel they have in the Liberty. Torque, and efficiency! Voilee!
the 4.0 I6 is a great engine. old, yet bulletproof. :praise:  

Fire It Up

QuoteWow! It looks so different!  :rolleyes:  :P
Sarcasm

Raghavan

Sarcasm
thank you, captain obvious. :rolleyes:  

Fire It Up

QuoteWow! It looks so different!? :rolleyes:? :P
Sarcasm
Any time.  :lol:  

Raghavan

Sarcasm
Any time.  :lol:
:D  :D  

Run Away

QuoteA 4.7-liter V-8 may follow a year or so after the Wrangler's launch.
Will they bring back the name Renegade? That would be neat.

Raghavan

why? just a name.

giant_mtb

why? just a name.
Marketing...I guess it would be sorta like Dodge or whoever bringing back the "HEMI" name...the name alone gets more people to buy it, and if Chrysler/Jeep used the name Renegade sales could benefit becasue of it.

Tom

giant_mtb

QuoteDiesel option, please!
Not a bad idea...would it sell?  Most likely.

280Z Turbo

I love the 4.0L inline 6 and so do Jeep fans! I wish they could just update it instead of replacing it with a V6.

Raza

Looks about the same.  Good.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteLooks about the same.  Good.
Yup.  Jeep would be wise not to change or do anything drastic with the wrangler.  It has too loyal a following for them to permit any significant change.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Here is an edmunds article:

America's foremost off-road manufacturer should be given a lot of credit for sticking to its guns with the 2007 Jeep Wrangler. Even though the upcoming Wrangler will be built on the brand-new "TK" platform, Jeep has realized that it would alienate its core audience by eliminating the vehicle's inherently boxy and upright shape on this ground-up redesign.

Those who might have worried that the 2007 Wrangler would start to resemble the more genteel Jeep Liberty can rest assured that the next incarnation of the Wrangler will remain more G.I. Joe than Eddie Bauer. Jeep has wisely decided to leave the feminine appeal to the Liberty, which already has a distinctly different, largely female consumer base than the Wrangler.

Rather than softening the Wrangler's appearance in its next version, Jeep could very likely import styling cues from some of its more militaristic concepts of recent years. Even though the Jeep Rescue and Jeep Gladiator designs might never find a proper home in Jeep's lineup, their combined legacy could very well live on in the form of the next-generation Wrangler.

True, these photos of the spied 2007 Wrangler may not look that much different than the current version of the vehicle, although there are more changes in store than immediately evident. Jeep will most likely do away with the soft- and hardtop configurations of the vehicle and instead place removable panels on the roof of the redesigned Wrangler.

The Transformer-like qualities don't end here, as Jeep is also planning on giving the 2007 Wrangler removable doors and a fold-down windshield. Both are traditional and unique Jeep Wrangler features.

As if these quirky exterior features weren't enough, Jeep also plans on building a special four-door version of the Wrangler to accompany the standard two-door variants of the vehicle. The 2007 Wrangler four-door will feature a considerably longer wheelbase and increased width from both the current and future two-door Wranglers.

The base engine on the 2007 Wrangler will be a 2.4-liter four-cylinder with a 3.7-liter SOHC V6 available as an option. Jeep might also offer some sort of V8 on the upcoming Wrangler, and maybe even a diesel if it can drum up enough consumer enthusiasm with the Jeep Liberty CRD. All of these engines will most likely be paired with either the typical five-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission.

When the 2007 Jeep Wrangler goes on sale in the middle of 2006, it will be offered in the company's Laredo and Rubicon trim levels. Despite the vehicle's ingrained ruggedness, expect to see a greater degree of safety and luxury than found on any previous generation of the Wrangler.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

TBR

Getting rid of the 4.0l I6 is a mistake, but at least they aren't venturing far from the traditional Jeep look.

BMWDave

QuoteGetting rid of the 4.0l I6 is a mistake, but at least they are venturing far from the traditional Jeep look.
they arent.  I believe thats a typo though.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteGetting rid of the 4.0l I6 is a mistake, but at least they are venturing far from the traditional Jeep look.
they arent.  I believe thats a typo though.
Sure enough, I will fix it.