My rant

Started by TheIntrepid, October 18, 2006, 03:34:05 PM

TheIntrepid

Okay I have one question.

WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT THE MAZDA6 and Mazdaspeed6?

It's a generic mainstream import sedan. It's the competitor to a Camry, Accord, Altima, Sonata, Optima, etc.

Why is everyone suggesting Mazda6's?

No sorry my real question is...what does the Mazda6 have that's "special" that the Camry, Accord, or Altima don't offer at similar prices as the Mazda?

No trolling here, honestly, just wondering.  :confused:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

cawimmer430

Mazda 6 = FUN TO DRIVE

Camry = SLEEPING PILL

:devil: :devil: :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

TheIntrepid

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 18, 2006, 03:35:33 PM
1985 Camry = FUN TO DRIVE

1985 300SE = Sleeping pill, when it decides to start

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Wow thanks Wimmer:)

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SaltyDog

Camry- boring, costs a lot
Accord- costs a lot, it's a Honda
Altima- doesn't handle well
Sonata- boring
6- the best mainstream sedan out there.  Boo ya!

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 18, 2006, 03:52:38 PM
Camry- boring, costs a lot
Accord- costs a lot, it's a Honda
Altima- doesn't handle well
Sonata- boring
6- the best mainstream sedan out there. Boo ya!

SaltyDog

Quote from: touareg208 on October 18, 2006, 03:53:30 PM

sarcasm?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

TheIntrepid

No.. honesty.

edit: i mean it.  :ohyeah: :rockon: :cheers:

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

93JC

Quote from: touareg208 on October 18, 2006, 03:34:05 PM
Okay I have one question.

WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT THE MAZDA6 and Mazdaspeed6?

It's a generic mainstream import sedan. It's the competitor to a Camry, Accord, Altima, Sonata, Optima, etc.

Why is everyone suggesting Mazda6's?

No sorry my real question is...what does the Mazda6 have that's "special" that the Camry, Accord, or Altima don't offer at similar prices as the Mazda?

No trolling here, honestly, just wondering.? :confused:

Better question: what do any of the import sedans offer over, say, a Malibu or Fusion?

I think that's a much trickier question.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on October 18, 2006, 03:56:59 PM
Better question: what do any of the import sedans offer over, say, a Malibu or Fusion?

Reliability.

unless you're being sarcastic...then i'm an idiot

93JC

No, I'm quite serious.

According to many, including the Toyonda-worshipping Consumer Reports, if you want the most reliable car you need a Buick. So why doesn't everyone drive Buicks?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on October 18, 2006, 04:02:36 PM
No, I'm quite serious.

According to many, including the Toyonda-worshipping Consumer Reports, if you want the most reliable car you need a Buick. So why doesn't everyone drive Buicks?

Because they're floaty, large, and made for old people. My mom has an Allure (LaCrosse) in Edmonton and actually thinks the Camry's a stiff-suspensioned sports car when she comes home from her business trips.

ifcar

93JC, while reliable, the LaCrosse has serious problems with interior packaging and no inexpensive fuel-efficient engine option. The Camry and Accord have the best 4-cylinders in their basic price range.

MX793

Quote from: 93JC on October 18, 2006, 04:02:36 PM
No, I'm quite serious.

Brand perception.  Buicks are thought of as soft, floaty cars for old people.  Toyota is seen as a little more trendy. 

Further, even if the domestics did improve their quality and reliability to levels above Toyota or Honda, it would take a few years for consumers to catch on especially if the Japanese are still building vehicles that are good enough to keep people from looking elsewhere.  Stigmas die hard, and the Big 3 (or 2.5 now) earned a bad one that they are still trying to recover from.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

Yeah, but consumers (around here) don't buy four-banger Camrys, they buy top-o'-the-line models (whatever they are... XLE V6/SE?). Lower-end four-bangers are rentals. If people want inexpensive, fuel-efficient cars they buy Civic and Corolla (which, I must admit, do get very good fuel economy).

As for the so-called boatness of the Allure, touareg208, has your mum driven an Allure CXS? From what I'm told it's a whole other animal compared to the CX and CXL.

TheIntrepid

60% of Camry sales are 4-cylinders. I may have seen a total of 10 V6 Camrys in the new body style...mine included.

93JC

Quote from: touareg208 on October 18, 2006, 04:17:33 PM
60% of Camry sales are 4-cylinders. I may have seen a total of 10 V6 Camrys in the new body style...mine included.

80% of the new Camrys I've seen have been rentals. Of the handful of consumer Camrys, all have been V6s.

'Cept one, a hybrid.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on October 18, 2006, 04:14:35 PM
Yeah, but consumers (around here) don't buy four-banger Camrys, they buy top-o'-the-line models (whatever they are... XLE V6/SE?). Lower-end four-bangers are rentals. If people want inexpensive, fuel-efficient cars they buy Civic and Corolla (which, I must admit, do get very good fuel economy).

As for the so-called boatness of the Allure, touareg208, has your mum driven an Allure CXS? From what I'm told it's a whole other animal compared to the CX and CXL.

I see relatively few V6 Camrys, even most of the XLEs are 4-cylinders.

And while the LaCrosse/Allure isn't any more of a boat than the non-SE Camry in any form, it has other problems.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on October 18, 2006, 04:26:31 PM
80% of the new Camrys I've seen have been rentals. Of the handful of consumer Camrys, all have been V6s.

'Cept one, a hybrid.

How can you tell?

Raza

Toyonda, that's a new one.

That said, the Camry is the best car ever made, especially in SE trim.  It may lose in straights to a Ferrari 430, but it definitely corners faster.  It is to this day unsurpassed as a sporting machine, and even though countless efforts from European luxury companies to surpass its comfort and performance (BMW M5, Mercedes E55/E63, Audi S6/RS6) they are much, much more expensive, and even at three times the price, only come close the Camry's dynamism.  Interior appointments are also unmatched, while the Camry offers the best quality in luxury and technology, all its European and other Japanese competitors can come up with are superfluous gizmos and cheap plastic tchotchkes. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on October 18, 2006, 04:29:01 PM
How can you tell?

The new generation V6's have dual exhaust tailpipes. The Hybrids have HYBRID on the sides and "Hybrid Synergy Drive" emblem on the back.

ifcar

I meant about the rentals. Hybrids have different taillights and the V6s have the dual exhaust, but aside from the little stickers, there's nothing distinguishing about a rental car.

TheIntrepid

Most of the rentals in Alberta (93JC's land) have Enterprise, National, Budget, or Discount stickers on them. If not stickers, their front plates are ads for the rental company.

93JC

Roughly 8/10 Camrys I've seen have had big "Enterprise", "Discount" and "Budget" stickers on the back? All of 'em have had a wheezy, four banger exhaust sound? All the other ones without big stickers on the back have had six-cylinder exhaust notes?

I don't know. :huh:

(:lol:)

Danish

Quote from: MX793 on October 18, 2006, 04:10:35 PM
Toyota is seen as a little more trendy. 

I never thought I'd see this statement on the forums
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

The Pirate

Quote from: 93JC on October 18, 2006, 03:56:59 PM

A manual transmission.  If I could get a Pontiac Grand Prix or a Dodge Charger with a manual tranny (even with the smaller engine), I would buy one in a second.  I realize that the Fusion has a manual tranny, but try finding one.  It's a lot easier to find a 5 speed import.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

93JC

People don't, as a rule in this part of the continent, buy cars with manuals anyway.