New VW Jetta

Started by Catman, May 31, 2005, 06:15:14 AM

Catman

This weekend I saw two Jetta's on the road, the first I've seen outside the net.  I will say that I was much more impressed than I was when I saw the first pics.  It doesn't look as long in real life.  It's not tremendous or anything but certainly not as disappointing as I thought.  It will definately need some clear mask over that grill chrome though.

Fire It Up

Yeah, I've seen a few of those, and theire good-looking, but theres something about it that should be changed, yet I cant put my finger on it... And have you noticed this?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

SJ_GTI

They are very popular here in Montreal. I see several per day just commuting to/from work. I think they look great in person, though they are rather large. I think they are about the same size as my A4 now (maybe this is a good thing for Jetta buyers though).

Raghavan

rear over hang is ghastly...

TBR

I guess they look okay, but my real problem with them is their high price and poor performance.

pnwbeers

I agree that they look much better in person than in pictures.  When the diesel and turbo models are released, I'll take a more serious look.

Raza

I don't mind them.  They're just too expensive.  Unless VW is planning to slot a new model below the Jetta, they're moving too far upmarket with this car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteYeah, I've seen a few of those, and theire good-looking, but theres something about it that should be changed, yet I cant put my finger on it... And have you noticed this?

Approximately everyone has noticed and mentioned that.  ;)  

ifcar

As to the car, it seems nice enough, like a Corolla but a tad more refined and sportier. But at the prices that they're asking, anyone who looks at what other vehicles can be had for the same price will probably end up in another vehicle.

Seriously, who here would chose the Jetta over the TSX, A4, or 9-3? A Mazda3 or a Corolla are similar cars for much less.  

mazda6er

QuoteAs to the car, it seems nice enough, like a Corolla but a tad more refined and sportier. But at the prices that they're asking, anyone who looks at what other vehicles can be had for the same price will probably end up in another vehicle.

Seriously, who here would chose the Jetta over the TSX, A4, or 9-3? A Mazda3 or a Corolla are similar cars for much less.
I don't know about sportier. The previous version was certainly sportier than a Corolla, but I'm not sure that's still true.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteAs to the car, it seems nice enough, like a Corolla but a tad more refined and sportier. But at the prices that they're asking, anyone who looks at what other vehicles can be had for the same price will probably end up in another vehicle.

I don't know about sportier. The previous version was certainly sportier than a Corolla, but I'm not sure that's still true.
The Jetta has better steering feedback, but that's about it.  

BMWDave

That very much sums it up.  VW should have priced it a lot more competitively.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Catman

Yeah, the price is not competitive at all.   :(  

Raghavan

price is also ghastly...

SJ_GTI

I am not thrilled by the current version, but when the GLI is released I would expect that I could choose it over a TSX, 9-2X, or a few others (like the Accord, Camary, Etc...). I would take a 9-3 or A4 over a Jetta, but then they are priced higher when similarly equipped. I would probably take a loaded Jetta GLI over a totally stripped A4 Frontrak with no options for now that I think about it though.

Raghavan

QuoteI am not thrilled by the current version, but when the GLI is released I would expect that I could choose it over a TSX, 9-2X, or a few others (like the Accord, Camary, Etc...). I would take a 9-3 or A4 over a Jetta, but then they are priced higher when similarly equipped. I would probably take a loaded Jetta GLI over a totally stripped A4 Frontrak with no options for now that I think about it though.
getting a frontrak is a disgrace...

SJ_GTI

QuoteI am not thrilled by the current version, but when the GLI is released I would expect that I could choose it over a TSX, 9-2X, or a few others (like the Accord, Camary, Etc...). I would take a 9-3 or A4 over a Jetta, but then they are priced higher when similarly equipped. I would probably take a loaded Jetta GLI over a totally stripped A4 Frontrak with no options for now that I think about it though.
Disgrace might be a little harsh, but I agree it takes away the point of buying an Audi. At that point you may as well get the Passat and save your money.

Raghavan

Disgrace might be a little harsh, but I agree it takes away the point of buying an Audi. At that point you may as well get the Passat and save your money.
exactly. and it's a disgrace because audi is know for their excellent quattro.

BMWDave

Hell, if a guy wants FWD its not a disgrace.  Is every Acura sold a disgrace??

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

no, but like mtl said, if you're gonna get a frontrak, you might as well get a passat. it's also a disgrace because audi's known for their quattro.

ifcar

In the mind of someone who thinks that front-wheel-drive is inherently bad in all ways and should be phased out of all vehicles ASAP, with cost not an object, yes.  

Raghavan

In the mind of someone who thinks that front-wheel-drive is inherently bad in all ways and should be phased out of all vehicles ASAP, with cost not an object, yes.
i told you before that i wanted a CRX, which is FWD...

ifcar

I didn't think that a smilie was really necessary to convey what post was intended to be.  ;)  

Raghavan

I didn't think that a smilie was really necessary to convey what post was intended to be.  ;)
you were obviously referring to me, as i'm the only one here who has an intense hatred of FWD.

BMWDave

you were obviously referring to me, as i'm the only one here who has an intense hatred of FWD.
Why the intense hatred?

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Why the intense hatred?
cos it's not balanced.

ifcar

It was so obviously a joke, that a " :lol: " smilie would have been overkill. But I suppose next time I'll have to keep your intellect in mind when posting.  :o  

Raghavan

It was so obviously a joke, that a " :lol: " smilie would have been overkill. But I suppose next time I'll have to keep your intellect in mind when posting.  :o
i got flamed when i made a joke and didn't put a smiley on it. Dave was pretty pissed, even though i told ihim that it was a joke over and over.

BMWDave

i got flamed when i made a joke and didn't put a smiley on it. Dave was pretty pissed, even though i told ihim that it was a joke over and over.
Now you are changing the story...you said all LR's a junk and unreliable, and I flamed you for that.  Then you said it was a joke, and there was a personal war, but once you said it was a "joke" albeit a bad one, I knew what your intention was.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Now you are changing the story...you said all LR's a junk and unreliable, and I flamed you for that.  Then you said it was a joke, and there was a personal war, but once you said it was a "joke" albeit a bad one, I knew what your intention was.
but you didn't understand it was a joke for a while.