Idiots can't read street signs, I swear.

Started by S204STi, October 21, 2006, 03:29:52 PM

S204STi

So today I went down to my shop to tinker on my ride, and on the way back came to a familiar intersection that can be a bit confusing for some people.  I will try to explain it for you so you can understand my rant:  The four north/south lanes are divided by a low concrete divider, not quite a median but close.  Just before the main intersection there is a small access road which intersects the north/south lanes on the left when facing north, so the median is opened up for that section.  The left turn lane extends back before this opening, so there is a sign saying "Do not block intersection."  This makes sense, because if somebody is trying to go east out of that access road if somebody is parked in front of the only opening there he would have to go south and make a U-turn.

Well, I come up to this and stop as usual at the access road.  The light lasts a couple of minutes, but not 30 seconds into my wait some idiot blows their horn at me.  The lane in front of me is packed, so I can't go forward without blocking the intersection.  So I casually point at the sign that reads "Do not block intersection."  About 20secs later another horn.  This time the finger makes his first appearance and I point again at the sign.  The next horn is like 5 seconds later from the D.C. behind me, so I lean out and yell "Can't you read a f!cking sign?!" accompanied by my friend the bird.  The next thing that is fun is that this cat in a Magnum tries to fly around and cut me off as the light turns green, so I deftly block him out and shout at him through the glass.  Not sure he hear me, but I think he got the point which was "Fark off!" is so many words.

After that I was pretty tweaked, so I had to just breathe deep and turn Phish WAY up for the rest of my trip home.  Luckily there were no more shortbus riders to disturb my peaceful rage.

Catman

dazzleman

It must have been a New Yorker looking to take in a 'relaxing' weekend in New England..... :lol:  Or maybe just a major masshole... :P
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Champ

People's inability to read merge signs and yield signs around here is terrible.  We have a bunch of entrance ramps that don't merge into traffic, but rather make their own lane.  So the highway was a 2-lane one direction, then the merge ramp comes on and it's 3 lanes now.  People will just sit and try to merge.  If you are behind them becareful because sometimes they slow down and I have seen people stop.  Yes there is a sign that shows merge into your own lane.

Sometimes it's nice because once they move you will have a wide open lane forever, considering no one moves back over right.

93JC

I fucking hate that too. I especially hate people who won't merge and just STOP dead if they can't easily pull in front of traffic. Scary shit.

MX793

The common one around here are people turning right on red at intersections that couldn't be more clearly marked as "No right on red".  They typically have signs both mounted on the stoplight and at the street corner (roughly eye level if you're in an SUV) and people still drive right up beyond the "stop here on red" line, glance at traffic and make their turn while remaining completely oblivious to the signs.

Where I went to college, it was the "Stop here on red" signs that people couldn't seem to see.  The only reason to be ahead of the "stop line" at a light is if you're going to be making a right on red, but people would put the nose of their cars right up to the intersection at a traffic light even if they were making a left turn or going straight.  This resulted in crosswalks being blocked as well as buses having a hell of a time trying to negotiate turns.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sandertheshark

Quote from: 93JC on November 15, 2006, 10:20:37 PM
I fucking hate that too. I especially hate people who won't merge and just STOP dead if they can't easily pull in front of traffic. Scary shit.
Those people are the worst.  Especially when they have a dedicated lane or a nice wide shoulder to accelerate along while they try to merge with highway traffic.  I once deliberately hit some idiot with my bike when he stopped dead, despite having 500 yards of dedicated lane ahead of him.  They guy actually got out of his honda and started yelling at me.  I just went around him and took off, leaving a nice tire mark on his bumper. :lol:

93JC

There are intersections that I now avoid altogether because people won't merge properly...

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on November 16, 2006, 09:24:39 AM
The common one around here are people turning right on red at intersections that couldn't be more clearly marked as "No right on red".

It is the opposite here in Germany. Usually you are not allowed to make a right turn at a red light here but the exceptions are marked with a green arrow. Most people do not have a clue however.