Trying To find First Car, Have Some options

Started by Maksx, October 21, 2006, 08:10:42 PM

The Pirate

Quote from: Maksx on October 22, 2006, 02:58:22 PM
lol i totally understand, now i know probably every teen says this, but i will be the few who take care of my car....trust me i  have a pretty strict father...so if if its not in good condition all teh time *smack*...

anywya yeah i even watched this segment on top gear....100 pound cars ...lol they ran pretty well

one of my friend bought an inifniti i35 for $1000 and now being pimary driver he has to pay about $2500 of insurance every 6 months..lol even more than the car :P

Well, definitely get some insurance quotes before you buy anything.  In theUSA, Mazdas aren't the cheapest car to insure.  If it was me, I would probably go for a Focus ZX3 or ZX5.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Maksx

how much would it cost to insure a veyron for a teenager?  :devil:

ifcar

Quote from: The Pirate on October 22, 2006, 03:37:37 PM

Well, definitely get some insurance quotes before you buy anything.  In theUSA, Mazdas aren't the cheapest car to insure.

The Mazda3 is the best-selling car in Canada, or at least it was, so it probably doesn't have the same sporty-car-for-young-people insurance rates as it may have here.

The Pirate

Quote from: ifcar on October 22, 2006, 03:59:26 PM
The Mazda3 is the best-selling car in Canada, or at least it was, so it probably doesn't have the same sporty-car-for-young-people insurance rates as it may have here.

I did not know that.  I'm starting to see more and more 3's around though.  Haven't had a chance to ride in one though. 
My comment about Mazda insurance stems from the fact that I did get quotes for an 02 Protege ES and a Protege5 a few months back and it was a couple hundred bucks a year higher than what I pay now for a Civic.  The Mazdas had a lot more options and were newer though, that probably made a difference. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on October 22, 2006, 03:51:37 PM

It's a nice car, and it looks badass flying through the dirt in your sig pic (not racing, of course :lol:)? I'm not really in the market for a car right now though.

Yeah I know. I'm almost ready to take a loss and go to a dealer for a trade in. I haven't even got one call on it yet nd it's been up for sale for almost 2 weeks. I know it doesn't make financial sense, but nothing I do ever does. I'm so impatient. :P

ifcar

I'd say you're asking too much for it. I've probably said this before, but when my parents were buying the same car (05 ZX3 S 5-speed), they got it new for just over $10,000. You can probably get an 07 now for not much more. No one will pay that much for a car that's two years and 32k miles older and has an ugly scratch on the bumper.

Do you have a CarMax store near you? They do free, no-obligations appraisals of used cars, and if nothing else, it would be something to gauge possible value by.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on October 22, 2006, 04:17:56 PM
I'd say you're asking too much for it. I've probably said this before, but when my parents were buying the same car (05 ZX3 S 5-speed), they got it new for just over $10,000. You can probably get an 07 now for not much more. No one will pay that much for a car that's two years and 32k miles older and has an ugly scratch on the bumper.

Do you have a CarMax store near you? They do free, no-obligations appraisals of used cars, and if nothing else, it would be something to gauge possible value by.

Carmax said $6500, they were also trying sell a couple of 2000 Miatas for $15k. I must say Carmax is like the Walmart of used cars. I asked for a tour of the facility, and it's impressive how effecient it is. I do like how honest they were, but there's no way I would pay their "no haggle" prices. They obviously make a lot of money.

I can't afford to sell it at the Carmax price (negative equity :banghead:).
I could do down to $7800 right now.? $8300 is below KBB and NADA, but not Edmunds TMV which is around $7500 IIRC.
I know for a fact it will be harder to sell because it's a 5spd and has no options except A/C. Manual windows/locks, etc. Most people are suprised they even makes cars like that anymore.

Before pricing it I did search the area w/in 100 miles or so, and my Focus is the cheapest one around.

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on October 22, 2006, 04:31:10 PM

I know for a fact it will be harder to sell because it's a 5spd and has no options except A/C. Manual windows/locks, etc. Most people are suprised they even makes cars like that anymore.

My car is the same way.  I've got A/C and nothing else.  No cruise control even.  I wouldn't mind having cruise, but I could take or leave the other stuff.  It just adds complexity and is one more thing to break.

Maksx

Quote from: ifcar on October 22, 2006, 03:59:26 PM

wasnt it a civic?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: TBR on October 22, 2006, 03:09:12 PM
Must be an I30, not an I35, the I35 is 2002+ I believe.

I know the guy he's talking about, and yes it's an ancient I30t... and it's horribly rusted out and in shit condition ;)

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

FlatBlackCaddy

I thought about a used I35 for awhile, nice cars. The heated seats(front AND REAR) and heated steering wheel are nice up here in minnesota.

USA_Idol

Quote from: Maksx on October 21, 2006, 08:10:42 PM
Well me and my father went this saturday to look at some first cars for myself...my father is really against used cars so i get a new one, lucky

since we only have one car in teh family so far so anyway we looked at a few oprions, and my dad really like the civic coupe and i did too, i want

the Si but there is a waiting list and manual would be quite hard since my mom doesnt know how to drive stick if she needs it, plus its my first car

and my parents want me to have aut as a first car. So so far we're pretty much down to the Civic ex coupe, the volvo s40 and the mini

cooper...are there any more i could include, we sort of ruled mazda3 and the new camry and the corolla out.. so any "positive" info would help

lease and thanks? :ohyeah:

Granted, they're not the most refined cars in their class nor the roomiest.  They are not the highest-quality, either.? But the Cobalt SS and G5/Pursuit coupes are not bad-looking, they've got a decent ride/handling mix and the 2.4-liter engine should give them decent pep even with the automatic transmission.? Their prices seem reasonable, too.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on October 22, 2006, 12:57:49 AM
I dunno, but I've never encountered an Auto with a shifting feature that I bothered to use after the first five minutes. It just feels awkward.

I use mine 100% of the time. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza on October 22, 2006, 09:45:19 PM
I use mine 100% of the time. 

Should have gotten a proper manual transmission then.

;)

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on October 22, 2006, 09:53:50 PM

Should have gotten a proper manual transmission then.

;)

Yes, I should have.  But some things are out of my control. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza on October 22, 2006, 09:57:34 PM
Yes, I should have.  But some things are out of my control. 

You can't win them all.

It's still a nice car though, I sense that a 1.8T equipped vehicle is in my near future. 

TheIntrepid

mazda6er

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Champ

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 22, 2006, 08:10:38 PM
I thought about a used I35 for awhile, nice cars. The heated seats(front AND REAR) and heated steering wheel are nice up here in minnesota.
Completely off topic, I will note some Infiniti Oddities  :)

I30/35 - available with heated seats + heated stearing wheel.

Q45 - available with heated seats only.

M45 - available with heated AND cooled seats only.

You could only get these options.  The stearing wheel only came with the 'I' series.  The flagship Q45 could only get heated seats, while the M45 could get cooled.  Neither could get the stearing wheel heat.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

gasoline

Quote from: touareg208 on October 21, 2006, 09:13:51 PM
edit:

Mazda3
Enough said!
And if that doesn't work, the S40 looks awesome and is Volvo-safe. Live a little, get a Mazda.
-----------------------------------

TheIntrepid

Quote from: gasoline on October 23, 2006, 02:41:24 PM
Enough said!
And if that doesn't work, the S40 looks awesome and is Volvo-safe. Live a little, get a Mazda.

The S40 or the Jetta GLi should be on the top of your list Maksx. I retract my previous statement, as you can do much better than a shitty-ass Mazda3, ignoring our Spin Mazda Troll, gasoline ;)

The Pirate

Quote from: touareg208 on October 23, 2006, 02:54:48 PM
The S40 or the Jetta GLi should be on the top of your list Maksx. I retract my previous statement, as you can do much better than a shitty-ass Mazda3, ignoring our Spin Mazda Troll, gasoline ;)

Listen here Camry-boy, the Mazda 3 is by no means shitty!

:devil:

ifcar

Quote from: Champ on October 23, 2006, 10:02:09 AM
Completely off topic, I will note some Infiniti Oddities  :)

I30/35 - available with heated seats + heated stearing wheel.

Q45 - available with heated seats only.

M45 - available with heated AND cooled seats only.

You could only get these options.  The stearing wheel only came with the 'I' series.  The flagship Q45 could only get heated seats, while the M45 could get cooled.  Neither could get the stearing wheel heat.

The Maxima is also available with the heated steering wheel.

Raza

Unless luxury is your thing, or you want AWD, I see no reason to get an S40 over a Mazda3.  Especially when the MS3/Mazda3 MPS runs two or three grand cheaper than an S40 2.4 FWD.

What about a car like an Impreza 2.5?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

WHy don't you convince your dad to let you buy a stickshift and then you could teach your mom. That opens up possibilities, and besides, manuals get better mpg usually.

Maksx

Well heres the thing....i asked my mom if she wanted to learn....

shes just like "why would i want to learn, i know how to drive automatic, i dont want to elarn anything else"...i was like  :confused: