Trying To find First Car, Have Some options

Started by Maksx, October 21, 2006, 08:10:42 PM

Maksx

Well me and my father went this saturday to look at some first cars for myself...my father is really against used cars so i get a new one, lucky

since we only have one car in teh family so far so anyway we looked at a few oprions, and my dad really like the civic coupe and i did too, i want

the Si but there is a waiting list and manual would be quite hard since my mom doesnt know how to drive stick if she needs it, plus its my first car

and my parents want me to have aut as a first car. So so far we're pretty much down to the Civic ex coupe, the volvo s40 and the mini

cooper...are there any more i could include, we sort of ruled mazda3 and the new camry and the corolla out.. so any "positive" info would help

lease and thanks  :ohyeah:

Catman

Nothing wrong with a Civic Coupe and they actually look good, unlike the sedan.

FlatBlackCaddy

Why did you rule out the 3, its a great car.

I drove a 4 door 2.3 automatic mazda 3 when i was at the mazda dealer(drove it to get a feel for the cars size, i was looking at the MS3).

Anyway i found it to be really nice, the 2.3 and the 5 speed auto match nicely and for a "economy" car it was pretty nice.

I wouldn't rule that out.

Maksx

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 21, 2006, 08:21:52 PM
Why did you rule out the 3, its a great car.

I drove a 4 door 2.3 automatic mazda 3 when i was at the mazda dealer(drove it to get a feel for the cars size, i was looking at the MS3).

Anyway i found it to be really nice, the 2.3 and the 5 speed auto match nicely and for a "economy" car it was pretty nice.

I wouldn't rule that out.

okay well perhaps my dad and i will take that back into consideration, id prefer the hatch over the sedan though, thanks

SaltyDog

Since you can't get a manual I'd atleast look for an auto with a good shifting feature.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Maksx on October 21, 2006, 08:28:12 PM
okay well perhaps my dad and i will take that back into consideration, id prefer the hatch over the sedan though, thanks

I just picked one to check driver space, but i agree a hatch is nicer not to mention the added cargo versatility.

Should be in the price range of the civic, maybe alittle nicer equipped considering the small premium honda's normally have.

Maksx

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 21, 2006, 08:29:40 PM
I just picked one to check driver space, but i agree a hatch is nicer not to mention the added cargo versatility.

Should be in the price range of the civic, maybe alittle nicer equipped considering the small premium honda's normally have.

hmmm mazadspeed3 :)

TheIntrepid

edit:

Mazda3

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Maksx

Quote from: touareg208 on October 21, 2006, 09:13:51 PM
In my opinion buying a 17 year old kid (especially you who's failed his driver's test;)) a new car even before he has his license.... or a brand-new car as a first car even if you DO get your license soon, is stupid. I've already told you that, and I'm sure most of the guys on the forum will agree. A pre-owned car from a reputable dealership is a much better bet than a new one, and will save you tons of money and even the initial depreciation.

why do you always attack me bro?

i cant stress the number of times ive said..i cant get used...ive already been told that...besides, its not like its coming out of you pocket so why

should money concern you...i need an opinoon rather...so please, either give a "positive" suggestion that falls within these guidlines.....or

kindly stay out of this thread, please im trying to be ncie about it, dont bash

thank you,

Maksx

The Pirate

I think your first plan of attack should be to get insurance quotes for every single vehicle that is a contender.  Being a young male with no driving experience, your insurance will not be cheap.  My guess is the Volvo will be the cheapest as far as insurance costs.  But get some numbers, and that may determine what you end up with.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

mazda6er

That's a pretty, um, eclectic list of possibilities you've got there.  :confused:

I'm not sure why the 3 is ruled out, while the S40 is an option. The Focus is totally out of the picture for some reason it seems? How do you feel about a Rio hatch? Scion TC? Maybe even an Eclipse? I really don't know what your criteria is/preferences are, so it's hard to make any recommendations...could you fill us in? I assume you want something sporty and "young"?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

jadewolf123

Maksx, wtf is wrong with the spacing  in your posts. They are almost unreadable.
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

850CSi

850CSi

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 21, 2006, 08:29:07 PM
Since you can't get a manual I'd atleast look for an auto with a good shifting feature.

I dunno, but I've never encountered an Auto with a shifting feature that I bothered to use after the first five minutes. It just feels awkward.

Maksx

Quote from: mazda6er on October 21, 2006, 11:06:17 PM
That's a pretty, um, eclectic list of possibilities you've got there.  :confused:

I'm not sure why the 3 is ruled out, while the S40 is an option. The Focus is totally out of the picture for some reason it seems? How do you feel about a Rio hatch? Scion TC? Maybe even an Eclipse? I really don't know what your criteria is/preferences are, so it's hard to make any recommendations...could you fill us in? I assume you want something sporty and "young"?

focus is fine, il look and tc they dont sell in canada i belive and eclipse sounds good thanks :)

and very sorry jadewolf...i like double spacing (makes it easier to read), sorry though ill try and get back to single space.

EDIT: and by popular demand  the mazda 3 is back on the list ppl!  :ohyeah:

ifcar

The Eclipse is crap. It's overpriced and its only strength is the V6 power, which I imagine is out of your price range. Insurance will be terrible, too.

Make sure you consider the Mazda3 (cheaper S40), Focus (cheaper Mazda3), and VW Rabbit.

TheIntrepid

No, he should not consider the Focus;). Rabbit and Mazda3 are good choices though. Focii are crap, and basically he shouldn't buy a NEW domestic. Since he's buying a new car, he should get an import (and I'm pretty sure he wants to), because that way the depreciation won't hit him that hard.

mazda6er

Quote from: ifcar on October 22, 2006, 06:36:51 AM
The Eclipse is crap. It's overpriced and its only strength is the V6 power, which I imagine is out of your price range. Insurance will be terrible, too.

Make sure you consider the Mazda3 (cheaper S40), Focus (cheaper Mazda3), and VW Rabbit.
Yeah, but he's young, he cares about image. And I think it's stretching it a little to call the Eclipse crap. Perhaps "overrated" or "style over substance", but not crap. The high school chicks will dig it.  :tounge: That's the only reason I suggested that, just as a wildcard I guess. I'm sure his parents are intelligent enough to weed out the good from the bad should they test drive one.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SJ_GTI

Since you have to get an Automatic, I think my top suggestions would be:

Mazda 3 5-door - Nice engine torque, 5-speed auto
VW Rabbit - Fun to drive, strong engine, 6-speed auto

If you could somehow talk them into getting a stickshift, I would consider the above plus add:

Cobalt SS (not supercharged) - 2.4i engine has good power and reasonably good fuel economy
Pontiac G5 GT - Same as the Cobalt, but maybe you would like the Style better
Civic - Small engine is well-matched to its nice manual transmission
Impreza RS - AWD would be a plu in Canada I think
Ford Focus - Incredibly inexpensive, really good ride/handling

Or if you are willing to spend a bit more (since you mentioned an Si and S40):

S40 - More expensive version of the Mazda 3
Jetta 2.0T - If you had to get an automatic, at least with this you could get the DSG...absolutely best automatic in a mainstream car
Audi A3 - Same basic car as the Jetta but more upscale + hatchback

mazda6er

Quote from: touareg208 on October 22, 2006, 07:54:37 AM
No, he should not consider the Focus;). Rabbit and Mazda3 are good choices though. Focii are crap, and basically he shouldn't buy a NEW domestic. Since he's buying a new car, he should get an import (and I'm pretty sure he wants to), because that way the depreciation won't hit him that hard.
Not a very intelligent post, sorry.  :ohyeah: Focii are fine. Well, not just fine. They're still far above average in their class and a good value to boot. I'm pretty certain they have above average reliability as well.
--Mark

TheIntrepid

I agree with you, except here in Toronto, the Focus has absolutely no style factor, no cool factor, and for a 17-year old looking for a first car, I'm betting he wants it to be stylish. Also, in his high budget of the high $20Ks (Canadian), he can do a lot better than a Focus.

850CSi

TheIntrepid

Rabbit is good...but wouldn't VW reliability kill him? How about a Matrix 4WD?

The Pirate

Quote from: touareg208 on October 22, 2006, 08:30:53 AM
I agree with you, except here in Toronto, the Focus has absolutely no style factor, no cool factor, and for a 17-year old looking for a first car, I'm betting he wants it to be stylish. Also, in his high budget of the high $20Ks (Canadian), he can do a lot better than a Focus.

The Focus is a nice car, a lot of young people around here drive them with no "style" issues.

My honest opinion for his first car is to go buy a $500 beater.  Very few people take care of their first car, and it's probably just going to to be abused and wrecked anyway.  My first car cost me $400, and I drove it for two years.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Maksx

Quote from: The Pirate on October 22, 2006, 02:49:06 PM

The Focus is a nice car, a lot of young people around here drive them with no "style" issues.

My honest opinion for his first car is to go buy a $500 beater.  Very few people take care of their first car, and it's probably just going to to be abused and wrecked anyway.  My first car cost me $400, and I drove it for two years.

lol i totally understand, now i know probably every teen says this, but i will be the few who take care of my car....trust me i  have a pretty strict father...so if if its not in good condition all teh time *smack*...

anywya yeah i even watched this segment on top gear....100 pound cars ...lol they ran pretty well

one of my friend bought an inifniti i35 for $1000 and now being pimary driver he has to pay about $2500 of insurance every 6 months..lol even more than the car :P

TBR

Must be an I30, not an I35, the I35 is 2002+ I believe.

pommes-t

Why in the world do your parents not want you to drive stick??????????

I really don't get it. What's wrong about this? I think one should start driving stick, otherwise one might have problems to drive it later...

That they don't want you to drive a used one is weired, too, but I can understand it a little bit (as long as they pay it shouldn't be your problem...).

All I'd recommend as a first car would be used ones...

Since you live in the USA I don't know much about the new car market there. But: Get yourself something cheap! When you're young you like to push your car hardly and there might get something broke. I was lucky until now (really lucky), but if you wreck something expensive, you'll have a problem.

S204STi

Quote from: touareg208 on October 22, 2006, 07:54:37 AM

The Focus may be cheap, but it isn't crap.  VW's reliability record is nothing to write home about.

Maksx

Quote from: pommes-t on October 22, 2006, 03:23:33 PM
Why in the world do your parents not want you to drive stick??????????

I really don't get it. What's wrong about this? I think one should start driving stick, otherwise one might have problems to drive it later...

That they don't want you to drive a used one is weired, too, but I can understand it a little bit (as long as they pay it shouldn't be your problem...).

All I'd recommend as a first car would be used ones...

Since you live in the USA I don't know much about the new car market there. But: Get yourself something cheap! When you're young you like to push your car hardly and there might get something broke. I was lucky until now (really lucky), but if you wreck something expensive, you'll have a problem.

i live in canada actually but yeah i understand...to bad they dont sell polos here

pommes-t

Quote from: Maksx on October 22, 2006, 03:32:42 PM
i live in canada actually but yeah i understand...to bad they dont sell polos here

You've made my day!  :lol: