Why do the Japanese hate Honda?

Started by gasoline, October 25, 2006, 04:59:23 PM

gasoline

Who can explain the finer points of Japanese business culture?
-----------------------------------

thewizard16

Quote from: gasoline on October 25, 2006, 04:59:23 PM
The Japanese.

I actually find the way they think and feel about business very interesting, but I've only read about it and wouldn't pretend to know enough to comment on it.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

bobwill

I didn't even know that the japanese didn't like Honda.

gasoline

Quote from: bobwill on October 25, 2006, 06:00:42 PM
I didn't even know that the japanese didn't like Honda.
Honda does "poorly" in Japan and is seen as "maverick".
-----------------------------------

Danish

Maybe its because Honda doesn't just make cars, they make lawn mowers, motorcycles and they even have a jet airplane concept? :huh:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

red_shift

I don't know if many Japanese feel that way, but on my last trip (two years back), a fellow I was working with there
remarked he likes Nissan more, because of the 'interiors'. He said Honda makes good engines, but
Nissan makes better interiors.  :nutty:
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

93JC

I wouldn't be surprised if Honda was becoming less popular in Japanese business circles and at large because it is slowly but surely becoming more "American". The powerbase in Honda itself is shifting away from Japan and to American Honda. More major business decisions are being made by American Honda, and American Honda is dictating most of the product development in Honda's most important market: the U.S.

Japanese companies in my experience are xenophobic of 'foreigners', if not outright racist. It's a slap in the face to a Japanese businessman to have to take orders from a gaijin.

Maxxum

Quote from: 93JC on October 25, 2006, 07:08:24 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Honda was becoming less popular in Japanese business circles and at large because it is slowly but surely becoming more "American". The powerbase in Honda itself is shifting away from Japan and to American Honda. More major business decisions are being made by American Honda, and American Honda is dictating most of the product development in Honda's most important market: the U.S.

Japanese companies in my experience are xenophobic of 'foreigners', if not outright racist. It's a slap in the face to a Japanese businessman to have to take orders from a gaijin.
Then they should dislike Toyoya because they became more American IMO, though I don't know about their internal command line. They should dislike Nissan because he sold out to a French company. They should dislike Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki as all of them got controlled by a foreign company? maybe, I dunno how they sell their product in their home market.

It has to do with Honda's product or their company ethics in some way.
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")

93JC

Quote from: Maxxum on October 25, 2006, 07:18:30 PM
Then they should dislike Toyoya because they became more American IMO, though I don't know about their internal command line.

Not really. Most of the big decisions are still made in Japan. Almost all of the engineering is done in Japan.

QuoteThey should dislike Nissan because he sold out to a French company.

A lot of them were pretty upset that Renault took over. Especially after Renault installed Ghosn as CEO. That didn't really go over well, until Nissan started reaping huge profits on their new product. Then most was forgiven.

(Nissan seems pretty fucked in my opinion. A lot like Chrysler, actually. They've ridden the popularity of a few good products, and now there's nothing left in the pipeline.)

QuoteThey should dislike Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki as all of them got controlled by a foreign company? maybe, I dunno how they sell their product in their home market.

Mitusbishi and Suzuki were/are quite independent, actually. Chrysler owned a portion of Mitusbishi to gain access to Mitsubishi technology, not to tell them what to do. Suzuki partnered with GM in order to get a beachhead in North America, which worked. Suzuki still makes most of its own decisions. A lot fo their US products are Daewoo rebadges, which a lot fo people think was forced upon them by GM, but Suzuki actually owns a portion of GMDAT independently, and Suzuki made the decision to use Daewoo rebadges in the States and Canada.

Mazda's a pretty awkward situation. Legally Ford doesn't own a controlling interest, they never did. Ford owns enough of an interest in the company to veto any board decision they want, which can be good or bad. Ford doesn't really want to muck up Mazda though. They don't make a lot of the big decisions.

It has to do with Honda's product or their company ethics in some way.

Which goes back to what I said. The product is becoming more American. The new Accord (Inspire in Japan) for example. The new Legend. These are North American products, not Japanese. They were designed for the States, designed for the most part in the States, and in the case of the Accord built in the States.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Danish on October 25, 2006, 07:01:07 PM
Maybe its because Honda doesn't just make cars, they make lawn mowers, motorcycles and they even have a jet airplane concept? :huh:

The HondaJet hasnt been a concept for a while.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=625115
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MX793

Toyota dabbles in all kinds of stuff.  Housing, boats, agricultural biotechnology, finance...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AKL

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 27, 2006, 08:17:47 AM

:ohyeah:

HAHAHHA
I love how his rims are still stock  :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I found a hilarous ricer. I didn't have my camera! I had my camera phone, but my memory is at 100%  :banghead:

It was a completely stock Honda Civic Coupe (01') , with Type R stickers, Mugen, and
"Honda Racing" stickers ALL OVER. He added some Walmart plastic (chrome look-a-like) wheels. It may be a joke considering the ultra use of stickers!
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

cawimmer430

It gets even worse.  :(

Submariner's car. You do know Submariner, right?
  :mask:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

AKL

Oh GOD!  :mask:

Where's the barf emoticon!
---------------------
---------------------

omicron

The Pirate

That's a sweetass car and a foxy dude right next to it, I have no idea what you guys are all bent out of shape about.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

AKL

Quote from: The Pirate on October 27, 2006, 08:54:07 AM
That's a sweetass car and a foxy dude right next to it, I have no idea what you guys are all bent out of shape about.

Dude, what are you smoking?  :confused:
---------------------
---------------------

The Pirate

Quote from: AKL on October 27, 2006, 09:24:10 AM
Dude, what are you smoking? :confused:

You drive a Honda too, you know what I'm talking about.

:devil:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

AKL

---------------------
---------------------

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raghavan

Not to mention an awesome looking DH bike.

sandertheshark

Quote from: gasoline on October 25, 2006, 04:59:23 PM
"Business is war.  And if war is your business, then business is always good." - Chikuhei Nakajima, founder of Nakajima Aircraft (later Fuji Heavy Industries.)

TurboDan

But they do the same thing in the U.S. too.  Nobody seems to mind here.  But perhaps it's different in Japan, in that they have a different image of Honda than we do; much like Mercedes doesn't sell alot of their products here because they don't want to dilute the luxury brand image?

The lawn mowers and snowmobiles are one thing - but Honda's non-car bread and butter in the U.S. is becoming their marine engine offerings.  They're blowing away the competition in every category, from performance to weight to reliability. 

Here's the Civic Engine:

Here's the Acura RSX engine:

That 225HP Honda outboard hangs off the transom of EVERY United States Coast Guard boat that takes an outboard engine.  Actually, two of them do to make 450HP so they can FLY in pursuit of drug dealers and such.  Those engines are the most badass Honda product I've ever seen.

TheIntrepid

The Japanese here (and Asians in general) only use Accords, Odysseys, Corollas, Camrys, and Siennas.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: touareg208 on November 05, 2006, 06:59:54 AM
The Japanese here (and Asians in general) only use Accords, Odysseys, Corollas, Camrys, and Siennas.

Yeah, same here.  Asian kids all have Japanese cars.  Indians all drive Camrys.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

Quote from: Raza on November 05, 2006, 12:23:52 PM
Indians all drive Camrys.
not true

they drive siennas/odessy's if they have kids.
@heelntoe