Mercedes Benz S65 AMG

Started by Raghavan, May 31, 2005, 10:51:59 PM

Raghavan

Mercedes Benz says that it's S65 AMG is that fastes four door sedan in the world, with a 0-60 mph time of 4.2 seconds. Is the S65 really the fastest? Mitsubishi's 405hp EVO has a 0-60 time of 3.5 seconds.
I'm confused. who's right?

Run Away

Many variations on the meaning of "fastest".
Don't let Kayani see this. ^_^

Raghavan

QuoteMany variations on the meaning of "fastest".
Don't let Kayani see this. ^_^
top speed of the evo is 175 i think. dunno top speed of other car. can't be much more.

Run Away

I doubt the EVO can go 175, that's quite fast. The Benz is probably limited to 155 as per normal Benz cars.

EVO has bad aerodynamics, and is also probably restricted due to gearing.

Raghavan

QuoteI doubt the EVO can go 175, that's quite fast. The Benz is probably limited to 155 as per normal Benz cars.

EVO has bad aerodynamics, and is also probably restricted due to gearing.
from topgear.com: 15/20
# We say: Truly remarkable ability on the road with lots of well-balanced power. But is it worth all the extra cost?
# Price: ?46,999
# On your drive for: ?1,154pcm
# Performance: 0-60mph in 3.5sec, max speed 175mph, n/a mpg
# Tech: 1997cc 4cyl, 4WD, 405bhp, 355lb ft, n/a kg, n/a CO2

BMWDave

I am quite sure that if the Benz wasnt limited to 155mph, it would be able to go 195.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteI am quite sure that if the Benz wasnt limited to 155mph, it would be able to go 195.
yet it's still restrained, so technically, the evo is the fastest.
jesus... 3.5 seconds to 60! :o  carrera GT does 3.3...

Raghavan

and the evo's quite cheap. $57,827.60

TBR

Is the 405 hp Evo MR even on the market? Also, I suspect MB's claim was that the S65 AMG is the quickest sedan available, big difference there.  

Raghavan

QuoteIs the 405 hp Evo MR even on the market? Also, I suspect MB's claim was that the S65 AMG is the quickest sedan available, big difference there.
in car and driver, it said that mb says that it's the fastest four door ever. and the evo is still quicker.

TBR

QuoteIs the 405 hp Evo MR even on the market? Also, I suspect MB's claim was that the S65 AMG is the quickest sedan available, big difference there.
in car and driver, it said that mb says that it's the fastest four door ever. and the evo is still quicker.
Yes, I understand that, but this is the first time I have ever even heard of a 405 hp Evo. Let me ask again, is it currently for available in the USA?  

BMWDave

Yes, I understand that, but this is the first time I have ever even heard of a 405 hp Evo. Let me ask again, is it currently for available in the USA?
I certainly dont think so, and I believe it is only sold in Japan.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

That is what I thought.  

Run Away

It's available in Europe too.
It's called the FQ400

Famous from that Top Gear video where they had a professional racer come in and drive a Mucielago around a race track, then they had one of their editors follow him, and the Lambo couln't pull away, the driver actually spun the car driving so hard trying to pull away.

Run Away

7339rpms the engine would be turning at 175mph, so I guess it is possible. Just really suprising that a box like that could hit that speed, I d?dn't think it had the gearing to do so.

Raza

The definition of fastest is not set in stone.  The Mclaren F1 is the fastest car in the world, but its 0-60 time has been surpassed several times now, by production vehicles.  But the top speed is still the highest.

I'd love to see the 0-100 times of the two cars as well.  AWD sucks power at high speeds.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

That is what I thought.
i SAID that mercedes said that it was the fastest in the WORLD. doofuses.

BMWDave

That is what I thought.
Ok, and he just asked if the Evo was available in the US. :rolleyes:  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

That is what I thought.
Are you refering to when I said that MB probably called the S65 the quickest sedan in the world, not the fastest? In which case, provide me with a quote that says MB said that, otherwise I am 99% sure that I am right.  

Raghavan

That is what I thought.
Are you refering to when I said that MB probably called the S65 the quickest sedan in the world, not the fastest? In which case, provide me with a quote that says MB said that, otherwise I am 99% sure that I am right.
ummm. you got your old C/D mags? look in the April 05 issue with the new 3er on it. on page 43, you'll see the S65 info.

TBR

That is what I thought.
ummm. you got your old C/D mags? look in the April 05 issue with the new 3er on it. on page 43, you'll see the S65 info.
Fine, I'll look it up in a few minutes.  

Fire It Up

fastest, quickest; what is the difference?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

Quotefastest, quickest; what is the difference?
quickest is the quickest car to 60 mph, but if a car can get to 60 in 2 seconds and is limited to 100 mph, while another car can get to 60 in 4 seconds but can go 180, then the 100mph car is not the fastest.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Quotefastest, quickest; what is the difference?
quickest is the quickest car to 60 mph, but if a car can get to 60 in 2 seconds and is limited to 100 mph, while another car can get to 60 in 4 seconds but can go 180, then the 100mph car is not the fastest.
but the evo is the quickest and fastest.

giant_mtb

According to a formula I used...the Evo would have to have approximately 540 HP in order to feasibly acheive 195 MPH.

BMWDave

QuoteAccording to a formula I used...the Evo would have to have approximately 540 HP in order to feasibly acheive 195 MPH.
ok B)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteAccording to a formula I used...the Evo would have to have approximately 540 HP in order to feasibly acheive 195 MPH.
what formula?

TBR

That is what I thought.
The little paragraph does indeed say fastest. However, it may not be inaccurate. The S65 could be ungoverned as Audi publicly broke the gentlemen's agreement with the introduction of the RS6 Plus and now the RS4.  

Raghavan

That is what I thought.
The little paragraph does indeed say fastest. However, it may not be inaccurate. The S65 could be ungoverned as Audi publicly broke the gentlemen's agreement with the introduction of the RS6 Plus and now the RS4.
oh. i didn't know that. then you and MB are probably right. Thanks. :)  

giant_mtb

what formula?
A formula someone over at C/D gave me to figure out how much HP is needed to achieve a certain speed...

(Speed You Want to Achieve / Speed the Car can Already Achieve)^3*HP the car already has.

(^3 = to the third power)

So say I want my 405 HP Evo to go 195...

(195 / 175 ) ^3 * 405...you get approx. 540.