2005 BMW 545i: Introduction

Started by BMWDave, June 01, 2005, 10:22:01 AM

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Have we heard any news about whether or not the 545i will become the 550i for '06?  

BMWDave

QuoteHave we heard any news about whether or not the 545i will become the 550i for '06?
Nope, not yet.  I assume it would though.

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

Is this an old review? They are talking like its a new model or something.

TBR

QuoteIs this an old review? They are talking like its a new model or something.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking initially, but I think it is just a long term test car introduction.

Raghavan

QuoteHave we heard any news about whether or not the 545i will become the 550i for '06?
would it use the 4.8l, or a new 5 liter?

BMWDave

There is no 5.0 litre V8 in BMWs lineup. <_<  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteIs this an old review? They are talking like its a new model or something.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking initially, but I think it is just a long term test car introduction.
Thats what this is.  I saw it in this weeks Autoweek, so its not old for sure.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

that's why i said NEW genius. :rolleyes:
besides, they could bore out the 4.8 to make a 5.

BMWDave

Why would they make a whole new engine?  Any reason behind the statement, or just a vain blab with no reason?

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Why would they make a whole new engine?  Any reason behind the statement, or just a vain blab with no reason?
because in BMW models, it's the model name (3,5, etc), then the engine designation (30=3.0l, 25=2.5l) of course, BMW is straying away from that a little (545i = 4.4l)

BMWDave

because in BMW models, it's the model name (3,5, etc), then the engine designation (30=3.0l, 25=2.5l) of course, BMW is straying away from that a little (545i = 4.4l)
They wouldnt make a new engine just to adhere to a model name.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

:shrugs: they'd still make a bigger engine to put in.

BMWDave

Put it this way...BMW has the 4.8 and will not make another V8 anytime soon.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

that's what i meant. ;)
a 560i would be sweet though.

BMWDave

that's what i meant. ;)
a 560i would be sweet though.
It wouldnt happen, and there would be no need for it.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

They may not make a new engine to adhere to a model name, but they would make a new engine for more power. He didn't make a stupid comment at all, but as usual you just assumed that he didn't know what he was talking about.  

BMWDave

They may not make a new engine to adhere to a model name, but they would make a new engine for more power. He didn't make a stupid comment at all, but as usual you just assumed that he didn't know what he was talking about.
Take it easy here, pal.  We were having a civiilized argument.  If this was a flame war, then I would understand you saying that, but hell, were just having a normal conversation.  Back off.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

And tell me, TBR, why would BMW make a new engine?  For more power? Please.  They already have a 360hp V-8 that is brand new, and to make a V8 with signigicantly more power trespasses into V-12 territory.   They'll make a V-8 with more power when this engine gets old, and I have to assume thats what you mean, since your statements lack any vestige of reason.

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

While model designations do give you an idea of the engine displacement, it isn't really exact.

The old 323i had a 2.5L engine, the old 540i had a 4.4L, the current 325 has a 3.0L, etc...

TBR

QuoteAnd tell me, TBR, why would BMW make a new engine?  For more power? Please.  They already have a 360hp V-8 that is brand new, and to make a V8 with signigicantly more power trespasses into V-12 territory.   They'll make a V-8 with more power when this engine gets old, and I have to assume thats what you mean, since your statements lack any vestige of reason.
Perhaps Raghaven thought the new 4.8 was actually a 5.0l. And, you always get in a big huff about little tiny details and it annoys me, but this is the first time I have actually said something.  

BMWDave

QuoteAnd tell me, TBR, why would BMW make a new engine?  For more power? Please.  They already have a 360hp V-8 that is brand new, and to make a V8 with signigicantly more power trespasses into V-12 territory.   They'll make a V-8 with more power when this engine gets old, and I have to assume thats what you mean, since your statements lack any vestige of reason.
Perhaps Raghaven thought the new 4.8 was actually a 5.0l. And, you always get in a big huff about little tiny details and it annoys me, but this is the first time I have actually said something.
Perhaps you missed how I said to him there was no 5.0l V8 in BMWs lineup, and he said "a new one, genuis".  Read posts first of all, before you criticize.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteAnd tell me, TBR, why would BMW make a new engine?  For more power? Please.  They already have a 360hp V-8 that is brand new, and to make a V8 with signigicantly more power trespasses into V-12 territory.   They'll make a V-8 with more power when this engine gets old, and I have to assume thats what you mean, since your statements lack any vestige of reason.
nah, i knew the 4.8 was a 4.8, but i though that bmw maybe could bore it out to 5.0l, and then dave got all huffy. :shrugs:

TBR

Perhaps you missed how I said to him there was no 5.0l V8 in BMWs lineup, and he said "a new one, genuis".  Read posts first of all, before you criticize.
I did read the posts, you are always very rude when you correct errors and it is extremely annoying.  

BMWDave

QuoteAnd tell me, TBR, why would BMW make a new engine?? For more power? Please.? They already have a 360hp V-8 that is brand new, and to make a V8 with signigicantly more power trespasses into V-12 territory.?  They'll make a V-8 with more power when this engine gets old, and I have to assume thats what you mean, since your statements lack any vestige of reason.
I did read the posts, you are always very rude when you correct errors and it is extremely annoying.
You obviously did not read the posts or you would not have said "Perhaps Raghaven thought the new 4.8 was actually a 5.0l. "  And I have stated that I was not in a "flame war" with Raghavan, just a regular conversation.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

While model designations do give you an idea of the engine displacement, it isn't really exact.

The old 323i had a 2.5L engine, the old 540i had a 4.4L, the current 325 has a 3.0L, etc...
it gets sort of confusing, but i just use it to see which is the higher or lower model.

TBR

You obviously did not read the posts or you would not have said "Perhaps Raghaven thought the new 4.8 was actually a 5.0l. "  And I have stated that I was not in a "flame war" with Raghavan, just a regular conversation.
Yes, but your regular conversation mode is way to close to your flame war mode. You quite often say stuff in a way that makes it sound like you think other people are either stupid or their opinion isn't worthy and I am tired of it.