2006 Lotus Exige

Started by BMWDave, June 01, 2005, 09:49:11 PM

BMWDave

Reviews: Coupe New Car Reviews    
2006 Lotus Exige
Link with Pictures

Hethel, England- The essence of the new Lotus Exige is that of a racing car. Even compared with the Elise, this bewinged coupe is a hard-core driving experience-and we mean that in a good way. What's curious is that from the same set of basic components-190-hp, 1.8-liter, four-cylinder Toyota engine; click-clack-shifting six-speed manual gearbox; extruded aluminum chassis; plastic body-Lotus has created a pair of cars sufficiently different in character that the coupe version can be regarded as a genuinely separate model. A quicker, more extreme, yet separate model.

In many ways, Lotus's recently announced decision to bring the Exige to the States is a brave one. As a convertible, the Elise can count on the residual glow of the golden years of British roadsters, with the added edge of being fantastic to drive. The Exige has only the latter. So, while Lotus moves 2000-plus Elises per year in America, it expects to sell only 200 to 300 Exiges.

Those 200 to 300 enthusiasts will be getting an out-and-out driver's car. Where the Elise evokes delicacy, intimacy, and fluid motion, the Exige is a much more physical machine. It's not brutish or raw or clumsy but more alert and instantly responsive, more aggressive in its steering and ride.

The way the Exige turns into corners seems shockingly brisk for the first few miles, but then you learn to appreciate how its precision can almost laser-guide you to an apex, how its immediacy can teach you to be a more conscientious helmsman. On crumbly-edged roads, you start off thinking that the little Lotus coupe is being guided by road irregularities, and then you realize that you're not actually fighting with the plump-rimmed wheel; its wriggling and writhing is merely letting you know what's going on.

You can test your nerves on a few challenging corners. The Exige's custom bodywork-lengthened nose, front splitter, covered roof, new rear wing (only the door panels are shared with the Elise)-was engineered to increase downforce for better cornering. Additionally, the Exige runs on Yokohama A048 rubber-pretty much racing slicks with a few grooves-and their grip even on public roads is immense. On dry roads, at least. The Exige's chassis tuning mirrors that of the Elise with the Sport package. Despite the suspension's firmness, it refuses to let the Lotus get knocked off-line by mid-bend bumps. Once adhesion limits are eventually reached, mild understeer takes over-unless you're on the track, where lifting off and booting the throttle will encourage the tail out, although you'll need a bit of practice to keep it sliding without a spin.

Because the coupe's back end traps the sound inside the car more than in the Elise, the Exige makes you further aware of the Toyota engine. There remains a degree of frustration that you have to wait until 6200 rpm before it unleashes its full complement of horses, but, as with old-school turbos, there's also a sense of involvement in having to keep the revs in the zone; either you can cope with that, or you can't. And once the engine is spinning to its giddy upper reaches, you'll have no complaints about the performance.

The brakes are somewhat abrupt at low speeds thanks to their servo assistance, but once you're on a charge, they're easier to modulate, and the ABS cuts in satisfyingly late for aggressive drivers.

On a track or an extended stretch of winding road, even a Porsche 911 would have to work hard to keep pace with the Exige; there are few more enthralling or dynamically capable cars for any price. But before you buy, make sure you can live with such a small, specialized car with only four cylinders. If you can, you'll have a wild time.

SPECS

Price: $54,000 (est.)
Engine: 1.8L DOHC I-4, 190 hp, 138 lb-ft
Drive: Rear-wheel

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

you can get an elise with a hardtop, right?

BMWDave

Quoteyou can get an elise with a hardtop, right?
The Exige is the Elise with the fixed hardtop.  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

For another $10,000? Forget it.  

BMWDave

QuoteFor another $10,000? Forget it.
You can almost buy a Z06, or for sure a Corvette, with that money.  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

I really like the Exige...there really isn't a point to paying a bunch more money for an Elise with a hardtop, but it's still a sweet car...I like it better with the hardtop.

BMWDave

QuoteI really like the Exige...there really isn't a point to paying a bunch more money for an Elise with a hardtop, but it's still a sweet car...I like it better with the hardtop.
Cosmetic wise?

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

Isn't the Elise available with a removable hard-top anyway?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteIsn't the Elise available with a removable hard-top anyway?
Yeah, I believe it is.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

i mean you can get an elise with a removealbe hardtop.

BMWDave

i mean you can get an elise with a removealbe hardtop.
you can.

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

Sure, on a private couse a Lotus would be a blast, but would you really want to drive one on public road and risk getting run over by some guy in his lifted Escalade?

giant_mtb

QuoteSure, on a private couse a Lotus would be a blast, but would you really want to drive one on public road and risk getting run over by some guy in his lifted Escalade?
Or any stock SUV...

BMWDave

QuoteSure, on a private couse a Lotus would be a blast, but would you really want to drive one on public road and risk getting run over by some guy in his lifted Escalade?
Or any stock SUV...
or any car for that matter.

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

Or any stock SUV...
Or even any large bicycle :lol:  

BMWDave

Or any stock SUV...
:lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Or any stock SUV...
:lol:
:rolleyes:  

Raza

QuoteFor another $10,000? Forget it.
You can almost buy a Z06, or for sure a Corvette, with that money.
Fuck a Corvette...for that money you can do engine and suspension work to a regular Elise and probably make it faster than a Exige.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Escalades...  :rolleyes:

SUVs... :rolleyes:

Fear of the above...  :rolleyes:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

You wouldn't be worried driving amist a population of ignoramisses behind the wheels of 6k ilb vehicles?

Raza

You wouldn't be worried driving amist a population of ignoramisses behind the wheels of 6k ilb vehicles?
Not any more than I am now.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

I was never afraid driving my Z3 around big rigs and SUV's, and there are plenty of those in SJ.  <_<

A z3 is bigger than an Elise of course, but I don't think I would feel any different in an elise.

Raza

QuoteI was never afraid driving my Z3 around big rigs and SUV's, and there are plenty of those in SJ.  <_<

A z3 is bigger than an Elise of course, but I don't think I would feel any different in an elise.

:rockon:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tom

QuoteI was never afraid driving my Z3 around big rigs and SUV's, and there are plenty of those in SJ.? <_<

Ok, but most drivers will get into an accident atleast once or twice in their lives, even if it's not their fault.  Odds are you'll lose in an Elise.

Raza

QuoteI was never afraid driving my Z3 around big rigs and SUV's, and there are plenty of those in SJ.  <_<

Ok, but most drivers will get into an accident atleast once or twice in their lives, even if it's not their fault.  Odds are you'll lose in an Elise.
Not if I can avoid them through nimble movements.  

SUVs... rokon.gif  rokon.gif  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteI was never afraid driving my Z3 around big rigs and SUV's, and there are plenty of those in SJ.? <_<

Except that you cant always avoid them.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

No matter what you drive...

That's my point.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

That's my point.
If the time comes when you are in an accident, god forbid, I think most people would rather be in pretty much any other car than an Elise.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

That's my point.
If the time comes when you are in an accident, god forbid, I think most people would rather be in pretty much any other car than an Elise.
Okay man, your call.  But sooner or later, you'll have to come out of your bubble.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

That's my point.
Okay man, your call.  But sooner or later, you'll have to come out of your bubble.
Look, what I'm saying is that once you are in an accident (whether you can avoid it or not is a different argument) you are safer in pretty much any car than the Lotus.

2007 Honda S2000