NEW CAR BABY!!!!

Started by ro51092, November 05, 2006, 04:57:01 PM

The Pirate

Quote from: touareg208 on November 14, 2006, 06:47:29 AM
:mask: ;)

If I even said the "v" word around my traditional Indian parents... I wouldn't be here in this world anymore. :praise:

My parents are not traditional Indians, and if I had called them that, I wouldn't be around anymore either.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MrH

Wow.  This thread really is amazing.  If you think you have to pull your e-brake to successfully drive a FWD car in bad weather, you're a moron.  Plain and simple.  You guys are acting like you're doing some impossible feat of getting your car around in the snow.  It's not that incredibly hard.

And I'd always take a FWD car over RWD car in the winter.  Driving wheels isn't as important as weight distribution in my mind.  I prefer having as much weight over the drive wheels to start, and as much over the front wheels once I'm going.  Understeer is definitively easier to correct and control in bad weather.  Stop thinking you're Michael Schumacher by saying you prefer RWD in the winter.  You're not impressing anyone.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on November 14, 2006, 01:58:06 PM
Stop thinking you're Michael Schumacher by saying you prefer RWD in the winter.? You're not impressing anyone.

I was pretty impressed... :confused:

:lol:

Raza

Wow.  This thread really is amazing.  If you think you have to pull your e-brake to successfully drive a FWD car in bad weather, you're a moron.  Plain and simple.  You guys are acting like you're doing some impossible feat of getting your car around in the snow.  It's not that incredibly hard.

And I'd always take a FWD car over RWD car in the winter.  Driving wheels isn't as important as weight distribution in my mind.  I prefer having as much weight over the drive wheels to start, and as much over the front wheels once I'm going.  Understeer is definitively easier to correct and control in bad weather.  Stop thinking you're Michael Schumacher by saying you prefer RWD in the winter.  You're not impressing anyone.

Wow, a voice of reason.

:rolleyes:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Does it snow where you live?

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

850CSi

Wow.? This thread really is amazing.? If you think you have to pull your e-brake to successfully drive a FWD car in bad weather, you're a moron.? Plain and simple.? You guys are acting like you're doing some impossible feat of getting your car around in the snow.? It's not that incredibly hard.

And I'd always take a FWD car over RWD car in the winter.? Driving wheels isn't as important as weight distribution in my mind.? I prefer having as much weight over the drive wheels to start, and as much over the front wheels once I'm going.? Understeer is definitively easier to correct and control in bad weather.? Stop thinking you're Michael Schumacher by saying you prefer RWD in the winter.? You're not impressing anyone.

I think they meant that they felt better using an E-Brake because it helped simulate the dynamics of an RWD car. I could believe it if someone said they prefered RWD in the snow especially, if, like Raza, their first car was RWD.

Personally, I've never had much experience with FWD so I can't say. Although the problem with weight over drive wheels can be solved pretty easily with a few sandbags (that's that they used to do before Traction Control came along).

The Pirate

? If you think you have to pull your e-brake to successfully drive a FWD car in bad weather, you're a moron.? Plain and simple.? You guys are acting like you're doing some impossible feat of getting your car around in the snow.? It's not that incredibly hard.

What I meant is that there are certain situations where the front of the car will plow straight ahead, when you intend to turn.? This will happen more often with a FWD car.? In that specific scenario, steering and throttle, in conjuction with e-brake use to manipulate the rear of the car, can be beneficial in getting the car to avoid whatever it was plowing towards, be it a curb, mailbox, etc.

And, it's just plain fun in snowy parking lots.

Nowhere in my post did I state that e-brake use was the only way I could successfully navigate in winter, nor did I use it all the time.? But, in certain scenarios, it is one way of getting the vehicle to respond.