Foose and Ford Team Up!!!

Started by SVT666, November 06, 2006, 12:44:46 PM

SVT666

Maksx

Honestly how much money does Chip Foose make, the dudes being commissioned by everyone  :confused:

sandertheshark

Quote from: Maksx on November 06, 2006, 05:09:38 PM
Honestly how much money does Chip Foose make, the dudes being commissioned by everyone  :confused:
He deserves it.  He makes the nicest Mustangs around.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza on November 06, 2006, 09:49:07 PM
I think they're the ugliest.

I've seen worse but his has too much of the "custom" look. Cars such look like they should have come that way from the factory when modded.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on November 06, 2006, 09:59:08 PM
I've seen worse but his has too much of the "custom" look. Cars such look like they should have come that way from the factory when modded.
Except for the paint, what doesn't look "factory" on his cars?  Foose Stangs are sweet as hell.

ChrisV

IIRC, Foose had a hand in the lines on the production Mustang as well. I love about everything he's done. But then again, I don't think there's any mass produced, committee designed production car that can't be customized to make it more personal and better looking. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Nethead

Quote from: ChrisV on November 17, 2006, 09:23:14 PM
IIRC, Foose had a hand in the lines on the production Mustang as well. I love about everything he's done. But then again, I don't think there's any mass produced, committee designed production car that can't be customized to make it more personal and better looking. ;)
ChrisV: Good, thoughtful posting here by ChrisV! The Nethead here would caution anyone who wants to customize their ride--there is a tendency to overdo it...If you customize a vehicle you like well enough to keep for decades, then save every one of the OEM parts as you've destroyed it's "classic" resale value some decades down the road.? Usually, no matter how slick you think you've done the modifications, virtually no one else will appreciate them or how much you spent to get them right in your eyes.? Those vehicles considered to be "restored" bring shitloads more at Barrett Jackson than those vehicles considered to be "customized" (consider the stock HemiCuda convertible that brought $3 million at BJ's).? Don't go pounding on the Nethead here for an explanation for this--people either want it as it came from the factory umptydozen years ago or they want it close to OEM so they can modify it the way THEY think it should be done.?
If you keep a vehicle four or five years and then have to move on, this pristine "OEM-ness" is not particularly an issue--you won't have kept it long enough for it to have attained "classic" value above and beyond its Blue Book value as a used car.

So what would smartass Mr. Nethead here do to a car??

Take a Mustang GT as an example (preferably at night when the owner is across town at a bar drinking with his buddies).?
Step one would be to remove that awful faux gascap on the center of the rear of the car (waaaay back when, that IS where the gascap was on early Mustangs, but it's tacky ornamentation today).
NOTE #1: Don't toss the faux gascap into the nearest dumpster--one day those collectors referred to as "restorers" will pay BIG bucks for it!? Idiots...
Step two would be to remove those "GT" emblems from the front fenders, and then refer back to Note #1.
Step three would be to remove that rear wing, if your GT has the rear wing. Refer back to Note #1.
Step four would be to fill any holes resulting form steps one, two, and three; smooth out any sheetmetal irregularities you might find in the area that was behind that faux gascap; and paint those areas properly to match the color of the car.
Step five would be to get showcar-dark tinting on all windows, the clear covers over the headlights, and the taillights.? The amber front turn signals don't have to be tinted, but that's personal preference.? Prepare to bribe Highway Patrol officers to not include "improper equipment - tinting" as a further violation on your speeding tickets.
Step six is strictly an individual thing:? add a lip-type spoiler (there are several in the aftermarket to choose from) to the decklid and paint it properly to match the color of the car.
Step seven is deciding if you want the car pure solid color or if you want the car striped.? You can see from the Shelby GT-H that gold stripes are beautiful on a black Mustang, but you may prefer a simple pinstripe near the top of the bodywork down each side.? Either of these three motifs work great on a Mustang GT.
Step eight is deciding if you are happy with the ride height--you ain't, so think about wheel & tire combinations that you'd like to see on yours.? Carl Sagan will assure you that there are "billions and billions" to choose from.? To do it really, really right you may need to go to aftermarket rear wheel tubs to fit tires much wider than 285s.? This is a huge project, and it will mean you need to let the pros take care of it--this probably means expensive mods to the car's interior since the fold-down rear seat may be adversely affected by the intrusion of the tubs and suspension mounts into the trunk.? Also, Western Motorsports of Calgary had to cut and reweld portions of their Mustang's frame to fit tubs big enough to get 345s into the rear wheel wells.? This ain't a project for you and your soldering iron on a rainy week-end!? Choose your custom shop wisely--and ask if they've ever tubbed an S197 Mustang.? If yes, tell 'em you want to see the owner of the Mustang(s) they've tubbed to see if he or she is happy with the results.? If no, find another custom shop--you don't want your Mustang GT to be low on their learning curve...
Step nine is the details--Do you want hood release pins?? Mustang FR500Cs need four, and you should plan on having four, too.? Do you want slicker side mirrors than the somewhat chintzy jobbies that come on current Mustangs?? Replace the radio antenna--by either having a retractable installed or by removing the radio and antenna permanently.? You might want one of those billet fuel filler doors, which I think were on the Bullitts of around 2004 (slap the Nethead here around if this is wrong), but that's adding shiny where shiny don't belong so look at some S197s with these billet fuel filler doors and see if they belong on yours--they're right on some and wrong on others.? See Note #1.

So now you're set to upgrade the interior (which needs little) and the running gear--which needs little, or needs an extra thousand or so horsepower if you've got the wad in your hip pocket--see the FRPP catalog for inexpensive but effective upgrades for the former and Sean Hyland Motorsports of Canada for the latter.? Or see a psychiatrist for some anger management if Sean Hyland is booked up for the season.
So many stairs...so little time...

ChrisV

Quote from: Nethead on November 19, 2006, 10:09:48 AM
ChrisV: Good, thoughtful posting here by ChrisV! The Nethead here would caution anyone who wants to customize their ride--there is a tendency to overdo it...If you customize a vehicle you like well enough to keep for decades, then save every one of the OEM parts as you've destroyed it's "classic" resale value some decades down the road.

I only agree with that for newer cars that are limited production, like my SVT Contour was. But others, no. My '63 Comet is going to have precious little stock parts, and what stock stuff I'm taking off is already damaged/rusted/or even already missing.

Yeah, that convertible HemiCuda brought a pile of money, but there were only 6 of them made originally. I can still get the same year 'Cuda in non-Hemi form in nice shape for VASTLY less, and it's non-musclecar siblings for a pittance. Even stock, non-performance, classic Mustangs are still dirt cheap, and not just in comparison to the original Shelby cars.  Modern ones, especially the V6 models, will simply never achieve that status.

Another example. How much does a perfectly restored, stock Model A go for at auction? Now, how much does even a normal street rod version go for? Yup, the modded one gets more money in the same overall condition by over double every day and twice on Sundays. A street rodded version of a '36 Packard 8 coupe will bring double the money of a stocker restored at the same cost to the owner. My '61 Falcon is worth about $2500-3500 restored to stock specs. Customized for less money, it'll bring $4000-5000, and I'll have half that into it. Been doing this for 30 years and the trends have simply not changed. If it's rare when new, make sure you save the stock parts. If it's not rare when new, then do what you want as the values aren't going to skyrocket even if they become "survivors."
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

sandertheshark

I agree with Chris.  My Fairlane was 60% junk when I bought it for a thousand bucks.  It ran, but not well.  The 302 was making only around 100 horses and the frame was slightly bent and the whole thing rattled and squeaked like a giant baby toy.  The only OEM part I was able to salvage from the drivetrain was the driveshaft itself.  The suspension was held together with a compound mixture of rust and grime, and the springs were absolutely beyond saving.  On the inside, only dashboard and the seats were worth keeping and they still had to be reupholstered.  I think I also kept the original window cranks but that was pretty much it.  The body went back together okay but the rest of the car had to be fitted with custom parts pretty much by necessity.  Not that I mind.  A stock restored 68 hardtop coupe with a 302 and a manual goes for about $10,000.  A Cobra clone with performance mods can easily fetch upwards of twenty-five thousand.   Someone once offered me $50,000 for my car.  I'm not ever planning to sell my CJ but if I do, she's worth a lot more now than she ever would have been with stock parts.

Nethead

ChrisV & sandertheshark:? Dudes, we all agree! The Nethead here is not into restorations, with the possible exception of somehow coming into possession of a genuine '64 or '65 427 Cobra.? My motto is "Build it the way you want it!"? Intercourse the "classic" value down the road!? If you long to be driving a restored classic, buy two Mustang GTs--put one on blocks for thirty years and drive Hell out of the other one.? Then, thirty years hence, get the first one off the blocks!? And it'll have all the original parts, which some collectors value highly and pay for accordingly.? Make a mint on it at Barrett Jackson and use some of the proceeds to fund the seventh rebuild of the one you've been driving the Hell out of for thirty years!? And use the rest to PAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

omicron

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 20, 2006, 11:46:27 AM
I agree with Chris. My Fairlane was 60% junk when I bought it for a thousand bucks. It ran, but not well. The 302 was making only around 100 horses and the frame was slightly bent and the whole thing rattled and squeaked like a giant baby toy. The only OEM part I was able to salvage from the drivetrain was the driveshaft itself. The suspension was held together with a compound mixture of rust and grime, and the springs were absolutely beyond saving. On the inside, only dashboard and the seats were worth keeping and they still had to be reupholstered. I think I also kept the original window cranks but that was pretty much it. The body went back together okay but the rest of the car had to be fitted with custom parts pretty much by necessity. Not that I mind. A stock restored 68 hardtop coupe with a 302 and a manual goes for about $10,000. A Cobra clone with performance mods can easily fetch upwards of twenty-five thousand. Someone once offered me $50,000 for my car. I'm not ever planning to sell my CJ but if I do, she's worth a lot more now than she ever would have been with stock parts.

I'll give you New Zealand for it.

Raza

Quote from: omicron on November 21, 2006, 05:09:14 AM

Fuck that, I'll give him New Zealand for it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Nethead

Last night The Nethead here was delighted to read that Chip Foose has come to his senses (Hello!) and is now offering supercharging as an option on the Stallion! Failure to do this beginning with Stallion Number One indicates to me that prolonged exposure to acetylene fumes may be hazardous to your judgment.

sandertheshark

Quote from: omicron on November 21, 2006, 05:09:14 AM
What the hell would I co with all those sheep?

SVT666

sandertheshark

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 07, 2006, 07:57:27 AM
Use your imagination :P
Well, I could have one big barbeque or- Hey, wait a minute! :nono: :pullover:

SVT666