Disconnecting power steering

Started by TBR, November 07, 2006, 03:13:23 PM

TBR

Okay, so what are you guys thoughts on disconnecting the Preludes power steering to save gas? I quite often turn the car off while it is still rollling at parking lot speeds just to save that little bit of gas (I am fanatical at times) and have no problem manuevering. It is much easier than to steer with the power off than it was in the Neon (even with its enormous steering wheel) or the Durango (makes sense considering the weight difference). So, my thought is why not get rid of the power steering altogether (or disconnect the belt anyway)? Is there a possibility that for some reason it stays pressurized even after the car is turned off? (keep in mind it is variable assist, if that makes a difference). How difficult is it to do and would I actually see any gas savings?

280Z Turbo

Don't do it. A mechanical engineer friend of mine explained it to me once...I don't quite remember what he said, but the jist of it was that you're putting more stress on parts that aren't used to it. And remember the parts are used to getting fluid pumped to them.

Belt-driven accesories don't take that much power at all. The power difference would be too small to measure and there's no way it would affect gas mileage.

93JC

:wtf:

Your attempts at saving gas would do more harm than good. Sheesh buddy, turning off the car while still rolling? You're saving maybe 0.00003 mpg worth of gas and being a hazard to yourself and others in the process. Never, EVER, turn the car off before you've finished parking it. That's as crazy as turning your car off at every stop light: who knows if you might have to move all of a sudden?

And don't unhook the belt from your P/S pump: your car's rack isn't designed to work without the help of the pump.

J86

Dude, I'd just relax about the gas...turning the car off at parking lot speeds?

280Z Turbo

Relax 93JC,

I used to turn off the Ranger halfway down my street and coast into the driveway all the time. The power brakes still work after the engine is shut off because of the check valve.

93JC

Maybe I don't have your perspective, since I don't live in Bumfuck, USA, but you'd have to be insane or stupid to do that between 5:00am and 12:00am on any given day here. :lol:

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on November 07, 2006, 05:08:48 PM
Maybe I don't have your perspective, since I don't live in Bumfuck, USA, but you'd have to be insane or stupid to do that between 5:00am and 12:00am on any given day here. :lol:

lol...sheesh :lol:

I would say that one way to overcome the stress issue would be to completely purge the fluid out of the system as well, but then you may expose internal components to corrosion which may not have occured with fluid in the system.  So there is pretty much no good way to do it, unless you completely remove and replace the rack with a dedicated manual system.

TBR

There is absolutely nothing dangerous about it, as noted I can still stop and turn just fine. But, if I am not going to see any kind of fuel economy improvement then I won't bother.

sparkplug

Oh no!!! We are all gonna die. aahahhaahhahaahahahahahhahahahahaha

If you ever drove a vehicle without power steering then you would realize it is also hard to turn the steering wheel. A vehicle designed with power steering is going to be tough to drive without it. The steering wheel is smaller. You have less leverage. I was driving a car once and lost the power steering and power brakes because the car mysteriously cut off. I was pretty lucky I didn't wreck. And that was a rear wheel drive car. The front wheel drive car would be be impossible to steer because the drive line goes through the front wheel. You might break off the steering wheel. :P

280Z Turbo

QuoteI was driving a car once and lost the power steering and power brakes because the car mysteriously cut off. I was pretty lucky I didn't wreck. And that was a rear wheel drive car. The front wheel drive car would be be impossible to steer because the drive line goes through the front wheel. You might break off the steering wheel. :P

Errrr...

You shouldn't have lost power brakes if the check valve was working properly on the booster. And I believe Run Away ran his Prelude with no power steering for a long time.

sparkplug

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 07, 2006, 08:49:25 PM
Errrr...

You shouldn't have lost power brakes if the check valve was working properly on the booster. And I believe Run Away ran his Prelude with no power steering for a long time.

Well the brakes probably worked. But steering sure didn't. It was a Lincoln and it caught me off guard with the steering. Power steering is kind of important in that it allows you the ability to manuever your vehicle better in an emergency.

The Pirate

In terms of unboosted steering ease, there is a big difference between a Lincoln and a Honda Prelude, regardless of drive wheels.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JYODER240

Sometimes i wish my car didn't have power steering, the steering would probabaly communicate what going on so much better.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

S204STi

Errrr...

After the engine shuts off the vacuum booster has a reserve good for one or two applications of the pedal.  So yes, with the engine off you WILL loose vacuum assist, usually after two applications of the pedal, so you have to make every one count.

S204STi

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on November 07, 2006, 10:12:00 PM
Sometimes i wish my car didn't have power steering, the steering would probabaly communicate what going on so much better.

Yeah, but your caster angle would have to be so low that your car would wander over every irregularity of the road, especially under braking.  Only in a light weight car could you get away with normal caster angles and no power assist, such as a Lotus or Caterham 7.

MX793

And I believe Run Away ran his Prelude with no power steering for a long time.

Did he simply disconnect the PS pump or did he do a proper steering rack swap to a non-PS steering rack?  There's a bit of a difference.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

He just disconnected it.

And, I can palm the steering wheel while the car is off, it is that easy to turn. As far as the brakes, yes after generally 2 applications they don't do anything, timing is essential.

Raza

Braking isn't the same as avoiding an accident.

Dude, relax on the gas.  If you stick to the basics, you'll do fine.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

The best technique to save gas:
Don't drive

The second best technique for saving gas:
Buy a smaller car

Sorry folks, but that's just the way it is!

TBR

Quote from: Raza on November 10, 2006, 07:54:00 PM
Braking isn't the same as avoiding an accident.

Dude, relax on the gas.  If you stick to the basics, you'll do fine.

That doesn't make the least bit of sense. If the brakes and the steering both work then there will be no accident...

And, I trying to get the thing paid off as soon as possible so that I can do some repairs to it (abs sensor or something related, mirror cover (stupid deer ran right into the thing), and there is a leak somewhere) and every bit helps.

heelntoe

Quote from: TBR on November 10, 2006, 10:55:08 PM
That doesn't make the least bit of sense. If the brakes and the steering both work then there will be no accident...

And, I trying to get the thing paid off as soon as possible so that I can do some repairs to it (abs sensor or something related, mirror cover (stupid deer ran right into the thing), and there is a leak somewhere) and every bit helps.
sometimes, you need to accelerate the fuck out of someones way to avoid an accident. keeping the engine on might help in that.
@heelntoe

ro51092

DO NOT disconnect the power steering. Do you know what that's like in an FWD car? The steering becomes immensively heavy, to the point where you're fighting the wheel, and getting more of a workout driving, than at the gym. Oh, and it won't save you much gas. If you needed to save gas, why not bike to work? (note that I don't know your circumstances, and don't flame me if you really DO need the car.)

That's not all. The parts aren't designed for not using power steering, and will wear out, and get damaged. That costs A LOT more than saving a few measly miles per gallon.

TBR

Quote from: heelntoe on November 11, 2006, 03:51:45 AM
sometimes, you need to accelerate the fuck out of someones way to avoid an accident. keeping the engine on might help in that.

In my driveway or in a parking lot?  :confused:

And, biking to work isn't an option, unfortunately. My commute is almost 30 miles each way plus the climate here isn't too accommodating (except for between November and March). And, I would think that the steering would get lighter with speed? I have no problem turning even at 5 mph with the car off. But, yeah, I am not going to disconnect it, I didn't realize that it could effect the steering rack.

heelntoe

Quote from: TBR on November 11, 2006, 09:35:24 PM
In my driveway or in a parking lot?  :confused:
i mean in general, if there are a lot of drive ways near yours, then it might be helpful. if somebody backs up without noticing you and you are directly behind them. of course, you can probably see them comming from a distance though.

at your drive way it wouldnt matter much but at a parking lot or otherwise, keep the engine on.
@heelntoe

TBR

My driveway is probably an eighth of a mile long, no issues with other traffic. And I can't think of any situation where you would need to speed up as you are pulling into a parking space.

ifcar

There's no reason to turn it off anyway. You're not saving that much gas. Just keep it on until you're stopped.

TBR

Your right, but it is habit at this point. As soon as I develop the habit of turning on the lights at night (the gauges always stay lit) I'll work on getting rid of that one.

ifcar

That's why I have the habit of always turning on the lights.

heelntoe

Quote from: TBR on November 12, 2006, 11:15:22 AM
Your right, but it is habit at this point. As soon as I develop the habit of turning on the lights at night (the gauges always stay lit) I'll work on getting rid of that one.
have a pic of the gauges? they always intrigued me.
@heelntoe