Road Test: 2004 Panoz Esperante GTLM

Started by BMWDave, June 01, 2005, 09:59:45 PM

BMWDave

Link

Road Test: 2004 Panoz Esperante GTLM
Valet This, Dude: Exclusivity is the name of this game--and this car could be the MVP

By Frank Markus
Photography by Brian Vance
Motor Trend, April 2005

Who cares how well a boutique exotic car performs? Ordinary tax-paying enthusiasts do, but they're not writing the down-payment checks. Exotic-car buyers tend to live in Beverly Hills, Manhattan, and Miami Beach, places where performance is measured in valet-parking proximity to the bistro entrance.

Fewer than 400 of these svelte coupes and roadsters have been produced since 2000--creating so little awareness that owners could fabricate their own pedigree for them at cocktail parties.

"It's an Esperante, lovingly assembled in total silence by Cistercian monks in Spain."

The all-aluminum Panoz Esperante is instead designed, built, and raced by a small company in NASCAR country, an hour north of Atlanta. Prices start at $93,756 for the roadster, $99,729 for the fixed-roof coupe.

This year, the company is introducing a hotted-up version dubbed GTLM. For an additional $29,070, the GTLM swaps the standard Esperante's naturally aspirated 4.6-liter DOHC Ford V-8 for a supercharged version handbuilt by Ford SVT and bolted to a Tremec T56 six-speed manual. Rated at 420 horsepower and 390 pound-feet, this combo bolsters the base model by 115 horses, 70 pound-feet, and one cog. The new drivetrain adds about 160 pounds, which required some retuning of the shocks and springs. A new rear suspension (shared with the base car) features longer and lighter tubular control arms and coil-over-damper units mounted to a more rigid subframe with no rear anti-roll bar. Lower unsprung weight and longer suspension travel improve ride quality despite fitment of larger 18-inch footwear (up from the base car's 17s).

GTLMs get aero bodywork tuned to reduce lift on the race cars. Five-inch-longer front and rear fascias also afford room for the five-mph bumpers and quieter muffler required to meet Canadian and European regulations (the car is now certified in Canada, Mexico, and the U.K.). Brake-cooling ducts are incorporated into the new fascias, too. Sill extensions hide side exhausts on the racers, but are just for looks here. Supportive new Recaro sport seats and a host of billet-aluminum trim bits distinguish the interior. For those who can live without the blower and the six-speed, a new GT model offers the rest of the GTLM kit for just $5104.

Without valet-parking opportunities or trendy boulevards to cruise in rural Georgia, the Esperante's performance had to be measured the old-fashioned way, and it turned out to be engaging to drive and well-behaved at the limit, wagging its tail gradually and only after giving plenty of notice. The tires (all-season Michelin Pilot Sports) are the limiting factor in any handling test, in this case generating 0.86 g of lateral grip on the skidpad and helping stop the car in 125 feet from 60 mph. Were one interested in such things, simply switching to a performance tire would broaden the Esperante's handling envelope at some cost to ride quality and foul-weather performance.

The tires may have limited acceleration performance, but probably not as much as tall gearing does. Even with the axle ratio shortened from 3.27:1 to 3.55:1, first gear ends up 22 percent taller than in the five-speed. As a result, the best launch to 30 mph just tied the base Esperante's. Still straining against an eight-percent-taller second gear, the supercharged engine managed to hit 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.2--four-tenths ahead of the base car at both marks with a 3.5-mph-faster trap speed.

Tromp the throttle at any speed, and the GTLM responds instantly with a moan from the supercharger, a bark from the exhaust, and right respectable spinal pressure. Structural rigidity is on par with competitors like the Maserati Spyder and Jaguar XKR, with just a bit more cowl quiver than in a Porsche or Mercedes roadster. Driven hard on a racetrack, the neutral GTLM responds with textbook precision to trail braking, throttle steering, and all those other tricks racing instructors preach. The steering wheel is slightly offset from the driver, but it faithfully reports what's happening at the road surface and points the car intuitively. The brakes withstood repeated hard stops during cornering photography without suffering serious fade. The tachometer, located at the far right of the center-mounted binnacle, is difficult to monitor on a track.

The exhaust roar, which sounds great ripping up through the gears, becomes a burdensome drone around 2000 rpm, or 70 mph in sixth, which encourages the driver to use fifth on the highway. (Opting for the Euro mufflers trims 10 dBA.) The outboard A/C vents can't be aimed and don't blow on the occupants, so they're ineffective at top-down cooling, and the cabin takes forever to feel cool with the top up.

The Esperante GTLM is more convincing as a sports car than as a grand tourer; it lacks such de rigueur amenities as stability control, heated and cooled power seats, concert-quality stereo, a one-touch top, and so on. But Panoz will build a car any way you like it. Go for the blown motor, five-speed tranny, and short axle ratio bolted into the standard, less-cluttered Esperante bodywork with stickier 18-inch tires, and maybe 100-pounds-less sound deadening but with the quietest Euro muffler.

Your valet will never guess its pedigree and performance.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

BMWDave

Quoteit's a bit ugly and too expensive.
I also dont like the looks so much, but its very, very exclusive.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

for much less than that costs, you can get a Noble M12 GTO-3R which accelerates to 60 as fast as a carrera gt. of course it's a kit car, but who cares?

BMWDave

for much less than that costs, you can get a Noble M12 GTO-3R which accelerates to 60 as fast as a carrera gt. of course it's a kit car, but who cares?
Its strange that the coupe costs more than the vert...usually its the other way around.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Its strange that the coupe costs more than the vert...usually its the other way around.
i think its the same with the viper.

Raza

Esperante's a super hot car.  Don't know if I'd buy it over a Viper though.  However, I did a project on Panoz, and as a customer, they sure do take care of you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteEsperante's a super hot car.  Don't know if I'd buy it over a Viper though.  However, I did a project on Panoz, and as a customer, they sure do take care of you.
What type of project?

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

A little too expensive for a 4.7 second run to 60 and 13.2 quarter mile...For that money, I would also take a Viper instead.  But...then again, Panoz is a very prestige and worthy brand...but I'd still take a Viper.  :praise:

I'll take a slightly modded STi if I wanna run 4.7 and 13.2 and pay 10's of thousands less.  ;)  

Raza

QuoteEsperante's a super hot car.  Don't know if I'd buy it over a Viper though.  However, I did a project on Panoz, and as a customer, they sure do take care of you.
What type of project?
It had to do with operational systems and technology.  An evaluation of needs and uses for technology of the company.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteA little too expensive for a 4.7 second run to 60 and 13.2 quarter mile...For that money, I would also take a Viper instead.  But...then again, Panoz is a very prestige and worthy brand...but I'd still take a Viper.  :praise:

I'll take a slightly modded STi if I wanna run 4.7 and 13.2 and pay 10's of thousands less.  ;)
You could probably do that with a stock STi.  But, you won't be parked anywhere near the front of the Rodeo Drive cafe.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

QuoteA little too expensive for a 4.7 second run to 60 and 13.2 quarter mile...For that money, I would also take a Viper instead.  But...then again, Panoz is a very prestige and worthy brand...but I'd still take a Viper.  :praise:

I'll take a slightly modded STi if I wanna run 4.7 and 13.2 and pay 10's of thousands less.  ;)
You could probably do that with a stock STi.  But, you won't be parked anywhere near the front of the Rodeo Drive cafe.
Exactly...Panoz is a prestige and rare car...which is why the price is so high...but for the performance I could pay thousands less and just get my STi...is what I meant.

Raza

QuoteA little too expensive for a 4.7 second run to 60 and 13.2 quarter mile...For that money, I would also take a Viper instead.  But...then again, Panoz is a very prestige and worthy brand...but I'd still take a Viper.  :praise:

I'll take a slightly modded STi if I wanna run 4.7 and 13.2 and pay 10's of thousands less.  ;)
Exactly...Panoz is a prestige and rare car...which is why the price is so high...but for the performance I could pay thousands less and just get my STi...is what I meant.
The price is high because of economics.  If they could build it cheaper, they'd sell it cheaper.  This is a handbuilt boutique car, not a Porsche, not even a Ferrari can be as special as a Panoz.  This car comes from a company with around 50 employees that's based in Georgia.  It costs 90K because it's extremely expensive for Panoz to stay in business.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

The price is high because of economics.  If they could build it cheaper, they'd sell it cheaper.  This is a handbuilt boutique car, not a Porsche, not even a Ferrari can be as special as a Panoz.  This car comes from a company with around 50 employees that's based in Georgia.  It costs 90K because it's extremely expensive for Panoz to stay in business.
That too...

TBR

Has anyone read Egan's piece in the July issue of R&T about his trip to Sebring in an Esperante?  

Raza

QuoteHas anyone read Egan's piece in the July issue of R&T about his trip to Sebring in an Esperante?
No, I haven't.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteHas anyone read Egan's piece in the July issue of R&T about his trip to Sebring in an Esperante?
No, I haven't.
Pretty good, as always, but I didn't think it was quite as interesting as the moose country article last month or even his column.  

Raza

No, I haven't.
Pretty good, as always, but I didn't think it was quite as interesting as the moose country article last month or even his column.
R&T's the oversized mag, right?  I hate that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

No, I haven't.
I agree that a smaller format would be nice, but it has the best writing and photography of any of the American car mags and Egan is no doubt the best American car journalist.  

BMWDave

No, I haven't.
I agree that a smaller format would be nice, but it has the best writing and photography of any of the American car mags and Egan is no doubt the best American car journalist.
I like R&T the best of any American car mag.  I dont mind the extra size...it just makes the pictures easier to see.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

No, I haven't.
I like R&T the best of any American car mag.  I dont mind the extra size...it just makes the pictures easier to see.
I think I like C/D a bit more just because of they test a much larger variety of cars than R&T, but I won't be canceling either subscription any time soon.

Raza

No, I haven't.
I think I like C/D a bit more just because of they test a much larger variety of cars than R&T, but I won't be canceling either subscription any time soon.
Automobile is the best, in my opinion, and now Motor Trend is really making leaps and bounds in the writing.  C&D, I think, is written either poorly or average every time.  I mean, Jamie Kitman is probably a much better writer than anyone on the C&D staff.  Plus, Automobile is a way for me to keep an eye on Ezra Dyer, my chief rival (spiritually), who also happens to be a good writer.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteAutomobile is the best, in my opinion, and now Motor Trend is really making leaps and bounds in the writing.  C&D, I think, is written either poorly or average every time.  I mean, Jamie Kitman is probably a much better writer than anyone on the C&D staff.  Plus, Automobile is a way for me to keep an eye on Ezra Dyer, my chief rival (spiritually), who also happens to be a good writer.
Do you subscribe to R&T? If not, I would recommend it since their taste in cars is probably more similar to your's than C/D's is (they very rarely test suvs and I don't believe I have ever seen them do a full test on a truck).  

Raza

QuoteAutomobile is the best, in my opinion, and now Motor Trend is really making leaps and bounds in the writing.  C&D, I think, is written either poorly or average every time.  I mean, Jamie Kitman is probably a much better writer than anyone on the C&D staff.  Plus, Automobile is a way for me to keep an eye on Ezra Dyer, my chief rival (spiritually), who also happens to be a good writer.
Do you subscribe to R&T? If not, I would recommend it since their taste in cars is probably more similar to your's than C/D's is (they very rarely test suvs and I don't believe I have ever seen them do a full test on a truck).
I read R&T sparsely, but I ought to do it more often.  But it's owned by the same company as C&D.  That seems weird to me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteAutomobile is the best, in my opinion, and now Motor Trend is really making leaps and bounds in the writing.  C&D, I think, is written either poorly or average every time.  I mean, Jamie Kitman is probably a much better writer than anyone on the C&D staff.  Plus, Automobile is a way for me to keep an eye on Ezra Dyer, my chief rival (spiritually), who also happens to be a good writer.
I read R&T sparsely, but I ought to do it more often.  But it's owned by the same company as C&D.  That seems weird to me.
They couldn't be more different. Besides the difference in the cars they test, R&T is more serious, generally has better writing, and donates a lot more room to pictures (which are a lot better than C/D's as well as those in every other car mag I have seen). That, by the way, is the reason for the unusual size.