Transmission Fluid Question.

Started by Galaxy, November 10, 2006, 02:15:25 AM

Galaxy

Ist ATF III the same as ATF + III? The man in the store told me so. What concerns me is that on the back of the bottle under specifications it states: GM Dexron III G, ZF TE-ML 04 D, 17C; Voith 55.6335.32 (fr?her G 607), Allison C4, Ford Mercon, Caterpillar TO-2.

It has been pounded into my head from various sources that one should not use Dexron in a Chrysler transmission. These specificatrions could mean that it can simply be used as a substitute to GM Dexron III without being Dexron but I want to be sure.?

Thanks.

AutobahnSHO

Please note that this page only covers the four-speed automatic. While a fluid change is good in a three-speed, it doesn't seem to have the same beneficial effect; and problems such as the bump-shift and delayed downshifting can have different causes.

A painless way to fix a "bad" transmission!When you change your transmission fluid, always use the recommended (in the manual) fluid. (1989-91 owners, ignore the manual and use ATF+3).

Don't just assume your mechanic or dealer knows what fluid to use. Ask them what they will use and make sure it's the right one. (Some people recommend watching the mechanic pour it in, and for good reason! We have been told about mechanics who said they were using ATF+3 when they were not. Is a customer's transmission worth the $10 for better fluid?)

All Chrysler four-speed automatic transmissions* are very sensitive to the quality of the transmission fluid. Only use the ATF+[3 or 4] in these transmissions. Do not use Dexron or Mercon.
Several companies now sell "universal" fluids, often using a synthetic base, which they say will work with just about all vehicles. If they note that they are compatible with ATF+3 and ATF+4 - and most do - they may work well, especially for those unsure of which fluid to use. As far as we know, Chrysler doesn't endorse any particular non-Mopar fluid.

Dexron is not a universal fluid. Chrysler four-speed automatics only use ATF+3 (ATF+4 for newer vehicles), regardless of what the dipstick or owner's manual says.

Do not use Dexron with an additive. Richard Widman passed us an extensive report from reputable gas company Chevron, which compared ATF+3 fluid with Dexron plus various additives. They found that neither of two major brands matched ATF+3's performance specs.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's lots more on that site, I'd recommend reading the whole thing.
I didn't look at others but I googled "chrysler transmission fluid" and got some good-looking hits.
Will

Galaxy

The thing is they had ATF Dexron and the ATF III which happens to meet Dexron specifications. I am pretty sure I did not buy Dexron. I am just not sure just what I bought.   :lol:

93JC

Sounds like you bought Dexron III.

Dexron is so overwhelmingly popular that often bottles of it are simply marked "ATF", as it's compatible with almost every other fluid. There have been revisions to Dexron over the years (I think new GM transmissions use Dexron IV): some fluid bottles containing Dexron II are marked "ATF II", and some containing Dexron III are marked "ATF III".

Chrysler transmissions use ATF+3 (newer ones use ATF+4). If it doesn't specifically say "ATF+3" or "Type 7176", take the stuff back for a refund, because you don't want it.

Galaxy

AutobahnSHO

You'd think this wouldn't be so confusing...

From what I've read the incorrect fluid is the cause of a large majority of Chrysler tranny problems.
The guy I bought my grey van from did a lot of his own work, he gave me a Chrysler shop manual with it, a couple bottles of tranny fluid, an extra starter (still sitting in my garage,) nd a waterpump he "hadn't had time" to put on. 

He said he changed the fluid/filter every couple years- and it's got 115k miles on it and seems to be running great. (besides the ancient-ness..)
Will

93JC

Yeah, besides just being "old", my Spirit works just fine. Burns more oil than I like, and I think it's leaking it too. And it's developed this squealing noise from around 1200-1500rpm. I think it might be the waterpump. :mask:

But not too bad for a 17-year-old car. Not bad at all. Hasn't left me stranded, which is just fine be me from a 17-year-old car.

My transmission is rock solid, which is, if you believe what any Consumer Reports-subscribing, Toyota-buying boob has to say, statistically impossible. :rolleyes: :lol: :praise:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 93JC on November 10, 2006, 10:24:40 AM
Yeah, besides just being "old", my Spirit works just fine. Burns more oil than I like, and I think it's leaking it too. And it's developed this squealing noise from around 1200-1500rpm. I think it might be the waterpump. :mask:

But not too bad for a 17-year-old car. Not bad at all. Hasn't left me stranded, which is just fine be me from a 17-year-old car.

My transmission is rock solid, which is, if you believe what any Consumer Reports-subscribing, Toyota-buying boob has to say, statistically impossible. :rolleyes: :lol: :praise:

Not impossible...

...just highly improbable. ;)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on November 10, 2006, 10:24:40 AM

I had some noise last year then the pulley that keeps the serpentine belt tight (tensioner pulley) busted on me. (In the middle of a move, before I bought the white van.   :banghead: )
Will

93JC

I thought of that too, 'cause I replaced the alternator a few months ago and the squealing started shortly after that...

it was a royal pain in the ass to back off the tensioner, too. Damn A/C line was in the way. :rage:

Hard to say. I'm fairly sure it's something in, on or around the engine, at the very least. :tounge: Pretty sure it's not a transmission issue, as it coincides with engine rotational speed in every gear. If it was a tranny thing I'd expect it to be more... constant. I could be wrong though.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on November 10, 2006, 04:01:55 PM
I thought of that too, 'cause I replaced the alternator a few months ago and the squealing started shortly after that...

it was a royal pain in the ass to back off the tensioner, too. Damn A/C line was in the way. :rage:

Hard to say. I'm fairly sure it's something in, on or around the engine, at the very least. :tounge: Pretty sure it's not a transmission issue, as it coincides with engine rotational speed in every gear. If it was a tranny thing I'd expect it to be more... constant. I could be wrong though.
You can get a "mechanic's stethoscope" (instead of a disc at the end it's a rod, you touch parts of the engine and it can give you an idea where the most noise is coming from) or just put your ear on the handle of a screwdriver and touch the tip to the engine.

Carefuly you don't touch any moving parts- especially on the last one.   :lol:
Will