Car UK Luxury Sedan Comparo

Started by BMWDave, June 02, 2005, 05:16:31 AM

BMWDave

This is straight from ClubLexus.com Credit goes to 1SickLex

Final Order:
1. 530 (New Engine)
2. GS300
3. CLS350

Well the GS did fairly well in this small 3 car comparo. The summary is the Benz is sharper than the E-class but not as well built as the Lexus and not as fun as the BMW.

The Lexus is basically the car to buy, it fantasticlly well built and a rewarding drive. The 5 is just more rewarding.

About the GS, the reviewer didn't like the styling and called it bland  . But this is what happened during the review.
1. A Bentley Continental GT drives by than stops and reverses. The owner leaps out and rushs to the Japanese car "The new GS? It looks very very good!" Not bad that a new Bentley owner in teh U.K recognizes the car, that speaks VOLUMES.
2. The reviewer admits out the 3 cars the LEXUS is getting the most attention.
3. Another person stops buy and says he owned a 1LS but it wasn't the styling that won him over but the meticulous engineering and the way it felt as though it could clock up jumbo jet mileage.
3. An IS 200 owner says "its shaped like a coupe, not a four door".

The reviewer says "the quality is ASTONISHING". You simply cannot buy a new car that feels better bolted together. The back seat though you can't fit your feet under the seats. Head and shoulder room is good.

"The new model is a step forward over the older model with driving dynamics. The steering has decent feel particularly off centre, where it weights up progressively. The damping is a little softer than the BMW but no less controlled and the chassis is agile, although it vibrates slightly at speed. The GS V6 is the least powerful and reflected in the 0-602 time (7.2 seconds). It has superb mechanical refinement that neither of its rivals can match, making it by far the most relaxing drive".

"The new 5 engine is slighly more racous than the GS but it has more character".

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

I dont know what theyre talking about by the CLS being less quality than the Lexus.  Reliability aside, the CLS I sat in felt bulletproof, with outstanding quality and a solid feel to it.  The Lexus I sat in, while probably definitely reliable, nowhere nearly mathched the solid feel of the MB, so I would reverse the order of those two.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Remember the price difference. Even an E500 starts at $9k over the GS, and the CLS widens the gap to $18k.  

BMWDave

QuoteRemember the price difference. Even an E500 starts at $9k over the GS, and the CLS widens the gap to $18k.
True, but do you understand the build part?  Do you feel the CLS is put together worse than a GS?  I hardly think so.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteRemember the price difference. Even an E500 starts at $9k over the GS, and the CLS widens the gap to $18k.
True, but do you understand the build part?  Do you feel the CLS is put together worse than a GS?  I hardly think so.
It's not a matter of being put-together worse, which implies that one is bad. They were simply thrilled with the way their GS's materials fit together, and less so from the Mercedes. Perhaps they preferred the Lexus's simplicity, or maybe it just is put together better. Either way, it would be very close, both have excellent interior quality.

BMWDave

It's not a matter of being put-together worse, which implies that one is bad. They were simply thrilled with the way their GS's materials fit together, and less so from the Mercedes. Perhaps they preferred the Lexus's simplicity, or maybe it just is put together better. Either way, it would be very close, both have excellent interior quality.
From my view, and I was in both a CLS and a GS, the MB felt more solidly put together.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

From my view, and I was in both a CLS and a GS, the MB felt more solidly put together.
And you're suprised that two people have had two different views?

BMWDave

And you're suprised that two people have had two different views?
Not at all, and that wasnt meant to be a condescending comment on my part.  Just stating my opinion. ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

And aesthetically, it's billions of leagues away from the GS's.

This review... :rolleyes:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaseyNPham

The CLS is a beautiful car.
Umm... I'm paying $70,000 for this thing and I can't even fit my Venti Mega Grandissimaximo Giganto de Humongo-Rama-Lama-Ding-Dong decaf into the cupholder! And where in the world will my palm pilot go??  :P  
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

Raza

You jest, Casey, but one of the biggest complaints about Mercedes cars is that the cupholders are too small.  What do you expect?  Germans don't give a crap about cupholders.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

QuoteYou jest, Casey, but one of the biggest complaints about Mercedes cars is that the cupholders are too small.  What do you expect?  Germans don't give a crap about cupholders.
Hey, theyre trying to sell to Americans. I mean, look at us...

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteYou jest, Casey, but one of the biggest complaints about Mercedes cars is that the cupholders are too small.  What do you expect?  Germans don't give a crap about cupholders.
Theyre putting more emphasis on them now, though.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteYou jest, Casey, but one of the biggest complaints about Mercedes cars is that the cupholders are too small.  What do you expect?  Germans don't give a crap about cupholders.
Theyre putting more emphasis on them now, though.
NA is a large market, and the only vehicles sold here are the high-end, high-profit versions. They have to care what Americans want.

CaseyNPham

oh, I didn't know that was a real big complaint. "^_^"
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

BMWDave

Quoteoh, I didn't know that was a real big complaint. "^_^"
It was...Americans need room for their drinks! :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

They were testing V6s....an E350 or CLS350 should be able to fit the bill, though the CLS competes more with the 6 series and SC.

The GS is the most relaxing drive?  If I want a relaxing drive, I'll buy an Avalon.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i