Where did the Dodge Nitro come from?

Started by gasoline, November 10, 2006, 07:40:15 PM

gasoline

Is it on sale?
This vehicle just appeared out of the blue. I never knew it was ever being considered for production.
-----------------------------------

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm sure 93 will give you the low down.

All i know is that i remember a Nitro concept about a year ago, it had 4 wheel steering(i think) and a hemi.

Other than that its just another shitty jeep.  :lol:

ifcar

Quote from: gasoline on November 10, 2006, 07:40:15 PM
Is it on sale?
This vehicle just appeared out of the blue. I never knew it was ever being considered for production.

It was always a near-production concept. It's based on the next Liberty.

gasoline

Interesting...
Thanks. I remembered the concept but just as quickly forgot about it.
To me it looked so ludicrous and not-needed that I thought it was simply a styling exercise (no to be rude or anything).
-----------------------------------

SVT666

I saw one for the first time last week and it looks pretty good in person.  Too bad it can't go offroad.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 10, 2006, 11:27:02 PM
I saw one for the first time last week and it looks pretty good in person.  Too bad it can't go offroad.

It can't?

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ifcar

Well, considering that there is no vehicle sold besides the Wrangler that Jeep purists consider "like a real Jeep", how is that a surprise?

MX793

The Liberty was "trail rated", so it's not completely useless off road.  Not going to be a serious rock crawler like a Wrangler, but it'll fare better than a Rav4.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raghavan

Quote from: ifcar on November 11, 2006, 05:59:04 AM
It can't?
It's more of a street truck with those big blingy wheels that would be useless offroad.

ifcar

Right, large wheels are useless off road. :rolleyes:

It's sold as a street truck, but the platform that was lying around when they designed it was designed to get around off-road as well as any other current compact SUV save the Wrangler.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on November 11, 2006, 03:17:33 PM
Right, large wheels are useless off road. :rolleyes:

It's sold as a street truck, but the platform that was lying around when they designed it was designed to get around off-road as well as any other current compact SUV save the Wrangler.
At best, it's a soft-roader.  Dirt roads and nothing more...and large wheels suck ass off road.

ifcar

A Camry can handle a dirt road. :rolleyes:

And big wheels certainly don't seem to be a major hindrance off road, or a Google of "jeep off road" wouldn't show dozens of images like this:

93JC

Yes, but you see, that Jeep has big wheels to accommodate big tires.

The Nitro has 245/50R20s....

ifcar

The difference is obvious, but the distinction was not made.

Raghavan

Quote from: ifcar on November 11, 2006, 05:35:49 PM
The difference is obvious, but the distinction was not made.
When i say wheels, i mean the metal circular thingies that bolt on to the  hubs. ;)

ifcar

mazda6er

Where did the Dodge Nitro come from? Well gasoline, when a husband and a wife love each other very much...

...and then the stork delivers it.

;)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

nickdrinkwater

I saw one at the British Motor Show back in the summer.  It has presence, in a hideous way.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 10, 2006, 07:42:01 PM

All i know is that i remember a Nitro concept about a year ago, it had 4 wheel steering(i think) and a hemi.

Um I may be wrong, but I think the one you're thinking of was the Jeep Gladiator Concept or some shit like that. It had dual 5.7L Hemis and 4-wheel steering. Basically looked like a Wrangler on steroids.

The Nitro concept was always damn close to the production model...IMHO looks like crap.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on November 11, 2006, 05:24:22 PM
A Camry can handle a dirt road. :rolleyes:

And big wheels certainly don't seem to be a major hindrance off road, or a Google of "jeep off road" wouldn't show dozens of images like this:

Most large (33" and up) "serious" off-road tires come in 15" to 17".  The ones in that picture are probably 17" (maybe 18") and the tires look to be 35" or 37".  short sidewalls and tall wheels are definitely NOT ideal for off-roading.

Catman

Not sure but it should go back from wherever that is. :P

280Z Turbo

I saw a base model one on campus the other day.

I barely noticed it. It was incredibly bland looking and had that cheap bastard gray plastic trim everywhere.

Raza

I watched part of the Speed Test Drive on it today.  Apparently it's awesome.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza on November 12, 2006, 10:09:29 PM
I watched part of the Speed Test Drive on it today. Apparently it's awesome.

:lol:

I wonder how much they payed them for that lovely commercial.

ifcar

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 12, 2006, 10:59:34 PM
:lol:

I wonder how much they payed them for that lovely commercial.

Those things are always so positive they're sickening.  It's like eating too much chocolate that's too sweet.  They're just absolutely convinced that the 300C is practically a sports car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 11, 2006, 05:21:13 PM
At best, it's a soft-roader.  Dirt roads and nothing more...and large wheels suck ass off road.

Sorry, but not totally true.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Of course, these were range Rovers, not Nitoros, so theri offroad ability is a bit more... able... even with big diameter wheels and short tires.  ;)

Try getting a Camry through this...

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...