CR offers it's two cents once again

Started by Tom, June 02, 2005, 05:49:28 PM

ifcar

QuoteSo the best selling truck in the country for however many years (15? 20?) didn't even get on the "main" list?  How is that realistic?!  :angry:   Woohoo...I want a Ridgeline with an in-bed trunk that leaks!  :rolleyes:
The best selling beer in the country is Budweiser.  Does that make it the best beer?
No, but the F-150 is the best truck out there for 95% of truck buyers. It is quiet, high quality, rides good, and handles pretty well. It is a much better, more well rounded vehicle than the Ridgeline.
But better-rounded doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best for most people, it just means that most people could be happy with it. But for people who wouldn't be using it for heavy-duty work, a compact/midsize pickup might be better. And that's more than 5% of the population.
Except when a midsize or compact isn't big enough (as is the case for pretty much anyone with kids over 10).  And, the F-150 beats the Ridgeline in refinement or quality (or comes close), has more room, and is cheaper if you want 2wd.
Not necessarily true, only the Colorado and Frontier have cramped rear seats, at least in the crew cab form. And where did I mention the Ridgeline in my post?  ;)  

TBR

QuoteSo the best selling truck in the country for however many years (15? 20?) didn't even get on the "main" list?  How is that realistic?!  :angry:   Woohoo...I want a Ridgeline with an in-bed trunk that leaks!  :rolleyes:
The best selling beer in the country is Budweiser.  Does that make it the best beer?
No, but the F-150 is the best truck out there for 95% of truck buyers. It is quiet, high quality, rides good, and handles pretty well. It is a much better, more well rounded vehicle than the Ridgeline.
But better-rounded doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best for most people, it just means that most people could be happy with it. But for people who wouldn't be using it for heavy-duty work, a compact/midsize pickup might be better. And that's more than 5% of the population.
Except when a midsize or compact isn't big enough (as is the case for pretty much anyone with kids over 10).  And, the F-150 beats the Ridgeline in refinement or quality (or comes close), has more room, and is cheaper if you want 2wd.
Not necessarily true, only the Colorado and Frontier have cramped rear seats, at least in the crew cab form. And where did I mention the Ridgeline in my post?  ;)
I disagree, the Tacoma also has a cramped interior, though the Dakota's is pretty good. And, I am arguing that the F-150 is a better truck than your pick for most people.  

ifcar

I disagree, the Tacoma also has a cramped interior, though the Dakota's is pretty good. And, I am arguing that the F-150 is a better truck than your pick for most people.
Even if it is, it certainly is not the best truck for 95% of the truck-buying public. Most truck-buyers don't need anything that heavy duty, some want more power, others want compact dimensions, others want to pay only $15k.

TBR

Even if it is, it certainly is not the best truck for 95% of the truck-buying public. Most truck-buyers don't need anything that heavy duty, some want more power, others want compact dimensions, others want to pay only $15k.
Pretty much anyone that want a crew cab truck wants people space, and you can't expect anyone to willingly spend much time in the back seat of most midsizers.  

ifcar

Pretty much anyone that want a crew cab truck wants people space, and you can't expect anyone to willingly spend much time in the back seat of most midsizers.
So 95% of pickup buyers require back seat room? Sales stats disagree with you.  

TBR

I'm talking about the typical suburbanite truck buyer (should have been more clear).  

ifcar

I'm talking about the typical suburbanite truck buyer (should have been more clear).
The typical suburbanite buyer is even less likely to need much towing capacity. The smallest and least expensive pickup with at least some bed space, refinement, and rear seat room would probably be the best suburbanite vehicle.
And I'd disagree that the new Tacoma lacks rear-seat room, the seat is just too low.

TBR

The typical suburbanite buyer is even less likely to need much towing capacity. The smallest and least expensive pickup with at least some bed space, refinement, and rear seat room would probably be the best suburbanite vehicle.
And I'd disagree that the new Tacoma lacks rear-seat room, the seat is just too low.
When did I mention towing capacity? I am sorry, but the Dakota and Ridgeline are the only midsizers that have decent rear seat room imho. And, the Ridgeline is as wide as the F-150 which is imho probably the most important dimension for city navigation.  

ifcar

When did I mention towing capacity? I am sorry, but the Dakota and Ridgeline are the only midsizers that have decent rear seat room imho. And, the Ridgeline is as wide as the F-150 which is imho probably the most important dimension for city navigation.
The Tacoma and Sport Trac also have space back there.

TBR

The Tacoma and Sport Trac also have space back there.
I still don't agree with the Tacoma, but you are right, the Sport Trac does have pretty decent room.  

ifcar

Anyway, I'd be willing to believe that adult-sized rear seat space isn't a huge priority for many suburbanite shoppers anyway. Children will fit comfortably in anything larger than an extended-cab compact, and in case adults or older children need to be driven in comfort, another vehicle can be used (few suburbanite families would own just a pickup). But from your priorities, it looks as though the next Sport Trac will be "the best pickup for 95% of suburbanite buyers".

Tom

This is taken from CR's Ridgeline review:

The roomy cab has lots of storage.  The controls are large and easy to operate, even if you're wearing work gloves.

:lol: