CR offers it's two cents once again

Started by Tom, June 02, 2005, 05:49:28 PM

Tom

In July's issue CR compares trucks ranging from the 5cyl Colorado to the 5.7 Ram.  Problem number one: comparing trucks of different size and class.  Problem 2: THE RIDGELINE WINS!!!  WTF??  It was praised for its comfortable ride, cute innovations, and versatility.  The Ridgeline might be good at whatever it's supposed to be, but it sure isn't a truck.  This is what CR says:

Ridgeline
Highs: Ride, handling, powertrain refinement, rear seat access, in-bed trunk, light dual-action tailgate, standard safety equipment and AWD, composite bed
Lows: Road noise, turning circle

Frontier
Highs: Engine and tranny, acceleration, agility
Lows: Rear seat room, heavy tailgate, turning circle

Tacoma
Highs: Off-road ability, braking, acceleration, composite bed, telescopic steering wheel
Lows: Ride, seat comfort, driving position, high step-in

Dakota
Highs: Roomy Cabin, access
Lows:  Acceleration, fuel economy, lack of agility, road and wind noise, turning circle

Colorado

Highs: Modest dimesions
Lows: Acceleration, engine noise, ride, braking, body flex, fit and finish, towing capacity, turning circle

How about that for a load of BS.  They also compared the Tundra, Avalanche, F-150, Explorer Sport Trac, Silverado, and Ram and recommended the Ridgeline, Tundra, Avalanche, Tacoma, Titan, and Silverado.  Predicted reliability of the F-150 is by far the worst in the group with a "poor."  Huh?  If anything, hopefully this comparison can provide you with a good laugh.  If you need a truck, here's the ticket:

BMWDave

I've never had much respect for cr.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

Tom

Quotethey are being realistic though.
Sometimes these publications make me wonder if they're being payed off in some way or another by a certain manufacturer.

But it goes to show you that you're best off taking objective information along with a thorough test drive in multiple trims of a model and forming your own opinion.

giant_mtb

So the best selling truck in the country for however many years (15? 20?) didn't even get on the "main" list?  How is that realistic?!  :angry:   Woohoo...I want a Ridgeline with an in-bed trunk that leaks!  :rolleyes:  

ifcar

I see you saying that something doesn't make sense, but it isn't entirely clear what. Can someone explain what is particularly odd about any of this?

Tom

QuoteI see you saying that something doesn't make sense, but it isn't entirely clear what. Can someone explain what is particularly odd about any of this?
It's just an overall bitch about how CR just doesn't get it.  For one, the trucks compared are not in the same class and shouldn't be in direct competition.  An then there are little details that leave me puzzled.  For example, the F-150 is expected to be "poor" in reliability?

TBR

QuoteI see you saying that something doesn't make sense, but it isn't entirely clear what. Can someone explain what is particularly odd about any of this?
It's just an overall bitch about how CR just doesn't get it.  For one, the trucks compared are not in the same class and shouldn't be in direct competition.  An then there are little details that leave me puzzled.  For example, the F-150 is expected to be "poor" in reliability?
It has already been out almost 2 years, isn't that long enough for them to figure out how reliable it is?  

ifcar

Ridgeline, Frontier, Tacoma, Dakota, and Colorado aren't in the same class?  :blink:

And do you have any evidence that the F-150 IS reliable? Because CR has evidence to the contrary, in the form of hundreds, possibly thousands of consumer surveys.

crv16

Sometimes these publications make me wonder if they're being payed off in some way or another by a certain manufacturer.

But it goes to show you that you're best off taking objective information along with a thorough test drive in multiple trims of a model and forming your own opinion.
If every auto reviewer gave the Ridgeline a thumbs down, and CR, out of the blue, gives the Ridgeline a thumbs up, one could understand the possibility of a bribe.  But that's not the case.  I would say that almost every single Ridgeline review I've read has been good to glowing.

The most logical conclusion is that, yes, the Ridgeline is a good vehicle, and a better choice for most people.  If you off road a lot, get a Tacoma.  If you tow a lot, get a full size.  But if you use a truck the way most mid size truck owners do, that is, occasional trips to home depot and bringing your kids gear to summer camp, then the Ridgeline is an excellent choice.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

Tom

Ridgeline, Frontier, Tacoma, Dakota, and Colorado aren't in the same class?  :blink:

And do you have any evidence that the F-150 IS reliable? Because CR has evidence to the contrary, in the form of hundreds, possibly thousands of consumer surveys.
What about a full-size Ram and light-duty Colorado?

I own CR's yearly publication on cars for the 04 year.  Next to the Tundra, the F-150 is the most reliable and has been either "excellent" or "good" in everything for the past few years.  If the new design cause a few gliches that hurts reliable a bit I wouldn't be surprised, but how can the change be that drastic?  It wouldn't be the best selling vehicle in America if it was a POS.

Tom

If every auto reviewer gave the Ridgeline a thumbs down, and CR, out of the blue, gives the Ridgeline a thumbs up, one could understand the possibility of a bribe.  But that's not the case.  I would say that almost every single Ridgeline review I've read has been good to glowing.

The most logical conclusion is that, yes, the Ridgeline is a good vehicle, and a better choice for most people.  If you off road a lot, get a Tacoma.  If you tow a lot, get a full size.  But if you use a truck the way most mid size truck owners do, that is, occasional trips to home depot and bringing your kids gear to summer camp, then the Ridgeline is an excellent choice.
In other words, the Ridgeline is a good SUV/truck crossover.  I'm not arguing that it's not good at what it is intended to be, but it's not a truck.

Tom

And another thing, CR, price matters.  A lot.  

ifcar

QuoteWhat about a full-size Ram and light-duty Colorado?

They didn't compare them back-to-back, they just put all the pickups that they've recently tested into the same ratings chart, considering how fine a line some tread between midsize and fullsize (Ridgeline and Tundra).

I own CR's yearly publication on cars for the 04 year.  Next to the Tundra, the F-150 is the most reliable and has been either "excellent" or "good" in everything for the past few years.  If the new design cause a few gliches that hurts reliable a bit I wouldn't be surprised, but how can the change be that drastic?  It wouldn't be the best selling vehicle in America if it was a POS.

First-year reliability glitches aren't uncommon, and reliability data is for the 04 F-150.

ifcar

QuoteAnd another thing, CR, price matters.  A lot.
I'd agree there, but I suppose they'd rather say how good the car is, and let the consumer chose their price point. :shrug:

Raza

I'd agree there, but I suppose they'd rather say how good the car is, and let the consumer chose their price point. :shrug:
Like you did with your luxury comparison?

<_<  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Much like IFCAR's mid-size truck review, the Ridgeline was proclaimed the best "truck" because it is the most car-like, which is more than a little counterintuitive in my opinion. IFCAR's mid-size V6 SUV review was the same ("trucky" SUVs brought up the rear because they're "trucky").

ifcar

Like you did with your luxury comparison?

<_<
I just said that I disagreed with CR's decision, but that doesn't mean that I don't understand their logic.  

ifcar

QuoteMuch like IFCAR's mid-size truck review, the Ridgeline was proclaimed the best "truck" because it is the most car-like, which is more than a little counterintuitive in my opinion. IFCAR's mid-size V6 SUV review was the same ("trucky" SUVs brought up the rear because they're "trucky").
They're all "trucky", except for the last-place Sport Trac and the tied-for-first Ridgeline.

And like CR, I reviewed them for people who won't be going far off-road, which does make up most of the population buying $30K V6-powered pickups.  

SargeMonkey

Ford = crap, the F-150 is a horrid truck, same with all the cars and trucks they make. If you look around you will see very few old ford or dodge vehicles they don't last I see alot of gm, chevy, toyota, pontiac, mitsubishi, mazda, vw, and bmw. And read the F-150 crash tests they are unsafe trucks.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Tom

QuoteFord = crap, the F-150 is a horrid truck, same with all the cars and trucks they make. If you look around you will see very few old ford or dodge vehicles they don't last I see alot of gm, chevy, toyota, pontiac, mitsubishi, mazda, vw, and bmw. And read the F-150 crash tests they are unsafe trucks.
I'm just gonna let this one go.

ifcar

QuoteFord = crap, the F-150 is a horrid truck, same with all the cars and trucks they make. If you look around you will see very few old ford or dodge vehicles they don't last I see alot of gm, chevy, toyota, pontiac, mitsubishi, mazda, vw, and bmw. And read the F-150 crash tests they are unsafe trucks.
I assume he was kidding.  

Raza

I assume he was kidding.
We can only hope.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

I assume he was kidding.
We can only hope.
My favorite part is how GM, Chevy and Pontiac are three different things.  :lol:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

I assume he was kidding.
We can only hope.
My favorite part is how GM, Chevy and Pontiac are three different things.  :lol:
Hmm, they all look the same to me :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Tom

I don't think he was joking guys :o  

crv16

QuoteSo the best selling truck in the country for however many years (15? 20?) didn't even get on the "main" list?  How is that realistic?!  :angry:   Woohoo...I want a Ridgeline with an in-bed trunk that leaks!  :rolleyes:
The best selling beer in the country is Budweiser.  Does that make it the best beer?
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

TBR

QuoteSo the best selling truck in the country for however many years (15? 20?) didn't even get on the "main" list?  How is that realistic?!  :angry:   Woohoo...I want a Ridgeline with an in-bed trunk that leaks!  :rolleyes:
The best selling beer in the country is Budweiser.  Does that make it the best beer?
No, but the F-150 is the best truck out there for 95% of truck buyers. It is quiet, high quality, rides good, and handles pretty well. It is a much better, more well rounded vehicle than the Ridgeline.  

ifcar

QuoteSo the best selling truck in the country for however many years (15? 20?) didn't even get on the "main" list?  How is that realistic?!  :angry:   Woohoo...I want a Ridgeline with an in-bed trunk that leaks!  :rolleyes:
No, but the F-150 is the best truck out there for 95% of truck buyers. It is quiet, high quality, rides good, and handles pretty well. It is a much better, more well rounded vehicle than the Ridgeline.
But better-rounded doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best for most people, it just means that most people could be happy with it. But for people who wouldn't be using it for heavy-duty work, a compact/midsize pickup might be better. And that's more than 5% of the population.

TBR

But better-rounded doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best for most people, it just means that most people could be happy with it. But for people who wouldn't be using it for heavy-duty work, a compact/midsize pickup might be better. And that's more than 5% of the population.
Except when a midsize or compact isn't big enough (as is the case for pretty much anyone with kids over 10).  And, the F-150 beats the Ridgeline in refinement or quality (or comes close), has more room, and is cheaper if you want 2wd.