Uncovered winter storage?

Started by Laconian, November 24, 2006, 06:24:08 PM

Laconian

Hey guys,

With the temperatures hovering around 32 now, it looks like it's about time to retire the Miata for the winter. :(

I will be storing it at my parents' house, but I will not be able to stow it in the garage--it's for their cars! I bought a cloth car cover earlier this year that is made especially for Miatas with this in mind. I will be cleaning it inside and out, and I had the oil and filter replaced and the suspension bits greased today. What else should I do to prepare it for four months of hibernation?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

S204STi

Air the tires up to max pressure marked on side of tire, maybe stuff a rag in the airbox ahead of the filter (where it goes into to fender) to keep rodents from making a home in your air cleaner box...maybe a bottle of fuel treatment, like winterizer or something...running out of ideas for now. :cheers:

Danish

You may also want to disconnect the battery
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

The Pirate

Drive it periodically if you can, for the sake of the brakes and hoses, belts, etc.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SaltyDog

If you drop it off at my place I'll keep it warm.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

S204STi

Oh yes, if you live in an area that will see sub-zero temps you may want to test the coolant freeze point to make sure it doesn't turn into green popsicle.

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on November 24, 2006, 10:02:27 PM
Oh yes, if you live in an area that will see sub-zero temps you may want to test the coolant freeze point to make sure it doesn't turn into green popsicle.

Hahah, funny you say that, I flushed my cooling system and took care of that today!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JYODER240

I have an extra heated garage space at my house if you want to drive it to Ohio.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Rupert

Hmm, yes, well, you see, I live an hour and a half away and I don't have a car... I'd be more than happy to do everything needed to keep it in perfect shape. :lol:

Why not drive it in the winter? As long as you don't move the top when it's really cold, everything will be A-OK. Miatas like to be driven!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Besides the airbox I read on cartalk that they recommend plugging the exhaust, too.
They said that if you change the oil, then plug the intake and exhaust, there's no reason to change the oil when it comes out of storage.  They'd recommend unplugging the spark and cranking it 10-15 seconds (to let oil circulate slowly) though before the next start. (Like a year or so.)
Will

280Z Turbo

Take the battery out and store it inside your house. That's what we do every year for the Vette and Z.

Also, you may want to dump in some fuel stabilizer.

Pancor

Hmmm...

Jack stands (no flat spots)
Fuel Stabilizer
Engine fog
Rag in the tailpipe and intake
Top up!

And don't let snow build up on the car! 

JWC

Around here, if you store a car for a few months, besides diconnecting the battery, install fuel stabilizer, and putting a cover on it,  mothballs around the engine compartment, trunk, interior, will keep rodents from making homes out of your car.

When I lived in the country, it was common to scatter mothballs under the house, at the edge of the yard, in barns etc.  Mothballs are especially good for keeping snakes away.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JWC on November 26, 2006, 07:59:14 AM
Around here, if you store a car for a few months, besides diconnecting the battery, install fuel stabilizer, and putting a cover on it, mothballs around the engine compartment, trunk, interior, will keep rodents from making homes out of your car.

When I lived in the country, it was common to scatter mothballs under the house, at the edge of the yard, in barns etc. Mothballs are especially good for keeping snakes away.

But they smell terrible and so will your car after a while.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Rupert

How's the snow in the Miata? You have to check it out!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Snow is awesome, but melted snow and ice are the suck. The car goes all skittish at speed when it hits gigantic puddles. Maybe it's because my tires suck.

I hadn't heard about the mothballs before, that's a very good idea. I'll do the fuel stabilizers too. My hardtop will probably go a long ways towards saving my soft top from weather-related wear and tear.

What's funny is that another possibility has popped up within the past few days... a relationship with someone with an extra heated garage bay! :rockon:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: touareg208 on November 26, 2006, 08:33:32 AM
But they smell terrible and so will your car after a while.

Whenever I go to old car shows, it's easy to tell which guys used moth balls.

I guess those old farts really like to use 'em!

Raza

Hire an ex-carabinieri as a 24 hour armed guard. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

L. ed foote

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2006, 04:52:25 PM

What's funny is that another possibility has popped up within the past few days... a relationship with someone with an extra heated garage bay! :rockon:

:praise:

Then kick her to the curb when the weather gets warm  :lol:
Member, Self Preservation Society

Laconian

The Miata has a winter home in a heated garage now. Thanks for the tips anyways, guys. :)