Edmunds: Inside the Cadillac Image Makeover

Started by gasoline, November 26, 2006, 10:28:21 AM

gasoline

QuoteIL Reports: Inside the Cadillac Image Makeover

Date posted: 11-24-2006

DETROIT ? It's an article of faith among enthusiasts that "product" ? irresistibly appealing vehicles ? is all that matters when it comes to attracting customers.

Perhaps no one believes this philosophy more ardently than Cadillac General Manager Jim Taylor, who has a background in engineering and product development.

Since the debacle of GM's failed era that emphasized marketing, when the company was led by experts from packaged consumer goods giant Procter & Gamble, product has been the undisputed king at General Motors.

But the company has learned, to the never-ending chagrin of the product guys, that marketing matters, too.

"A big part of the luxury game is image and fashion," said Taylor. "You are not buying transportation."

Consider the CTS entry luxury sedan. The car's first-year sales ? when hot new models rack up their highest numbers ? reached 38,000, only 2,000 cars short of the company's fondest hopes. But in subsequent years sales continued to rise, topping 61,000 in 2005. Four years after its launch, the CTS was selling 50 percent above GM's most optimistic forecast, rather than trailing off, as is the typical pattern.

Cadillac has been able to keep increasing CTS sales, mostly on the strength of marketing, as the brand shifted its image from the sleepy, stodgy, has-been choice of the Geritol generation to a more vigorous, active and, ultimately, cool image.

That can be seen by the company's measurement of consumers' opinions of the nameplate. While that image shot up with the arrival of the CTS, it began sagging back toward its original levels a year later. But the introduction of the hotrod CTS-V and the launch of that car's racing program corresponded with a rapid increase in that opinion during 2004 and 2005.

The CTS and the Escalade are also helping pull down the average age of Cadillac buyers. That stood in the low 70s five years ago, but has since dropped about five points into the upper 60s. With STS and DTS still popular in Del Boca Vista, the CTS and Escalade enjoy popularity with the prized younger customers.

Trouble with those customers is, there aren't really that many of them out there, said Taylor.

"Everybody has that target guy in mind, who is 42 and good-looking and an investment banker, but there just aren't that many of them," he said.

Instead, empty nesters in their 50s, relieved of the cost of college tuition, are the segment who actually buys most luxury cars.

Cadillac's SRX crossover SUV has lagged in sales, to Taylor's frustration. But he said he hopes that an ongoing campaign to introduce the SRX to consumers will begin to pay off. Currently the popularity of the Lexus RX 330 and Cadillac's own Escalade put the SRX in an unenviable position.

"Who knows how many SRXs we would sell if we weren't selling 50,000 Escalades a year," Taylor said.

To keep pressing Cadillac's marketing momentum, the division dropped the Led Zeppelin-backed "Break Through" ad campaign it had used since 2001 and switched to hip new ad agency Modernista! "The Led Zeppelin commercials were getting too confining," explained Cadillac spokesman Kevin Smith. It was time, Cadillac management decided, to move on.

Today's commercials feature a variety of music, rather than sticking with a signature dinosaur rock sound, including on the "Evolution" ad, music of a younger generation with Iggy Pop singing a Teddybears song titled "Punkrocker."

What this means to me:
Eventually everyone else might catch on to Cadillac's improvements. Get your own 2008 CTS-V before that happens.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=117679

Requisite photo (as you can tell, I just love to post pictures, now that I have figured out imageshack):

-----------------------------------

Maksx

Okay that looks pretty hot, but then again i liked cadillac styling somewhat to begin with  :praise:

JYODER240

I like the Cadillacs styling but it doesn't age well. My sisters CTS looks dated while my other sisters C230 will look good for years.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on November 26, 2006, 03:28:35 PM
I like the Cadillacs styling but it doesn't age well. My sisters CTS looks dated while my other sisters C230 will look good for years.

At first I didn't like the C230 SC, but after driving several and getting a black one, I actually fell in love with the looks of it.  It doesn't drive poorly either, but I wish they had one with the sharper suspension and the improved stickshift.  I'd buy a used one as a daily driver in the future, definitely.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza on November 26, 2006, 09:01:24 PM
At first I didn't like the C230 SC, but after driving several and getting a black one, I actually fell in love with the looks of it.? It doesn't drive poorly either, but I wish they had one with the sharper suspension and the improved stickshift.? I'd buy a used one as a daily driver in the future, definitely.

I enjoy driving her C230, its not fast but it handles well and feels so solid and well built.

ro51092

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on November 26, 2006, 03:28:35 PM

And your Z will look even better!

JYODER240

Quote from: ro51092 on November 26, 2006, 09:16:58 PM
And your Z will look even better!

I don't think history will judge the 350 as one of the better looking Z's but it still has alot of years left in its design.

SVT_Power

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on November 26, 2006, 09:28:07 PM
I don't think history will judge the 350 as one of the better looking Z's but it still has alot of years left in its design.

Is there a replacement for the 350Z coming out anytime soon? (next 2-3 yrs)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

JYODER240

Quote from: M_power on November 26, 2006, 09:52:53 PM
Is there a replacement for the 350Z coming out anytime soon? (next 2-3 yrs)

I guess the 07 gets the new VQ35HR thats in the G35 and then either the 08 or 09 is new.

Raza

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on November 26, 2006, 09:10:15 PM
I enjoy driving her C230, its not fast but it handles well and feels so solid and well built.

Mercedes rates it at 7.6 to 60, which is pretty quick, if you ask me.  Using the tiptronic box will help you stay on boil through the corners.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza on November 26, 2006, 10:56:16 PM
Mercedes rates it at 7.6 to 60, which is pretty quick, if you ask me.? Using the tiptronic box will help you stay on boil through the corners.

7.6 isn't slow but i've been spoiled with high-hp cars, heck my dads escalade probably does 0-60 in 7.6 ;)

Vinsanity

when are they coming out with that sexy new CTS already? I'm getting restless to buy another car to complain about making payments for :lol:

gasoline

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 30, 2006, 02:37:42 PM
when are they coming out with that sexy new CTS already? I'm getting restless to buy another car to complain about making payments for :lol:
Here's video to get you even more restless.
http://www.carspin.net/forums/luxury-talk/autoexpress-video-2008-cts-at-the-nurburgring.0.html
-----------------------------------