Edmunds: Legacy GT vs. Magnum RT

Started by ifcar, June 03, 2005, 04:49:14 AM

ifcar

Introduction

By John DiPietro
Date posted: 06-02-2005

From Embarrassing to Embraced
Station wagons have come a long way since the days of Custom Cruisers, Country Squires and Caprice Estates. Those leviathans have essentially been replaced by the ongoing crush of minivans and SUVs. Still, for those who prefer a vehicle more along the lines of a sedan with a large cargo hold, all is not lost. Unlike those wood-decaled Brady Bunch mobiles of yore, today's wagons are stylish and sporty and something you wouldn't have been embarrassed to drive to your senior prom.

At first blush, pitting the 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T against the 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited may seem a little bizarre, like having Clint Eastwood (in his "Dirty Harry" days) squaring off against Jackie Chan. But the question that launched this piece was essentially this: "You're a car enthusiast who has set his (or her) sights on a sporty wagon priced in the low $30K range ? what are your choices?" That left us this pair, whose stickers were within $1,500 of each other.

We can almost hear the Dodge saying (in Clint's voice): "But being as I am a Hemi-powered Magnum, one of the most powerful wagons made, that could blow your doors clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question?." And then we've got the Subie saying, well, not much. Mr. Chan usually lets his moves do the talking, which we imagined would be the case with the Legacy GT.

Like our buddy Clint in his heyday, the Magnum has the type of confident presence that commands respect. The powerful stance is enhanced with the low-profile windows, semifastback roofline and 18-inch alloys filling the wheelwells. The Legacy is more sophisticated, almost European in flavor (check out the BMW-like headlights) yet still sports a hood scoop that gives it some Subaru attitude.

Heavy-Hitting Hemi, Blown Boxer
As almost everybody knows by now, the Magnum RT comes packing a 340-horsepower Hemi-head V8 with 390 pound-feet of roaring torque, while the middleweight Legacy GT gets 250 horses (250 lb-ft of torque) from its turbocharged flat four. Those of you with Rain Man-like minds might be thinking. "Gee, how fair is that? The Magnum's got 36-percent more power." Well, yes, it does. But do the math all the way and you'll see that in terms of weight-to-power ratios, the two combatants aren't as mismatched as one might first think ? the Legacy carries 14 pounds for every horse, while the Magnum's steeds each haul around 12.4.

Our Magnum had rear-wheel drive (though AWD is available) where the Legacy only comes with AWD. Go with the AWD Magnum and its weight/power ratio goes up to 12.9-to-1. But as we wanted to keep pricing as similar as possible and also allow more distinct personalities between the cars, we opted to go with the rear-drive Magnum.

The Envelope Please?
After getting these two together and enjoying two weeks of living with them, we were able to decide who would drive off with the Inside Line version of an Oscar. And unlike the Academy Awards, we won't make you wait until the end to let you know who got "Best station wagon in a sporting role."

As a close cousin to the highly respected and lusted-after Chrysler 300C, the Dodge Magnum RT could be the coolest wagon on the planet for under $34 grand (nicely equipped, no less). With more passenger and cargo room than the Legacy to please the kids and the parents, that bottomless well of power from the Hemi to please us enthusiasts and enough comfort and convenience features to please everyone, it was unanimous. The Oscar goes to the Dodge Magnum RT.

2005 Dodge Magnum RT

The Magnum's high beltline and low, tapering greenhouse add to the sensation of power and speed.

The Magnum proves that a well-executed design doesn't need excess chrome trim or cladding to turn heads.

Brushed metallic trim brightens the Magnum's cabin, and steering wheel-mounted controls work the audio system and trip computer.

Hedonism With Horsepower
With a base price a tick under $30,000 ($29,995), the Magnum RT comes with, of course, the now-famous 5.7-liter Hemi V8, 18-inch wheels, air conditioning, a CD player, leather seating, power everything, cruise control, tilt/telescopic steering wheel, and important safety features such as stability control and antilock brakes. Note: We used our long-term Magnum for this test and our car was an early production model. The base price has since gone up $750, but the options pricing hasn't changed.

Our RT had some extras, namely a Protection Group (side airbags, self-sealing tires, cabin air filter); Electronics Convenience Group (trip computer, steering wheel audio controls, security alarm, universal garage opener); Convenience Group II (dual-zone climate control, heated front seats, power-adjustable pedals); towing package; Sirius Satellite Radio; and UConnect hands-free communication system. The bottom line on the sticker was a still reasonable $33,045.

Inviting but Not Intimate
A large cabin gives the feeling of an old-school American car. Wide, soft seats and plenty of room all around give passengers a sense of space. But as driving enthusiasts, we didn't feel as much a part of the car as we did in the Legacy, whose more intimate cabin fosters a greater connection between man and machine. This would prove to be an omen.

Speaking of the cabin, build quality is generally quite good ? everything feels solid and tightly fitted. The interior door release handles, for example, are smooth to the touch (no rough flashing trim) and operate with a fluid motion free of play. Still, the Magnum doesn't escape our common complaint of low-grade plastics in the cabin, located in the typical areas ? the lower dash and console sides.

High-Speed Family Hauler
In terms of raw performance, the Magnum is pretty quick for a nearly 4,200-pound vehicle. Certainly a sub-7-second (6.8 ticks) 0-to-60 time and a near-flat-15-second (15.04) quarter are respectable. But legendary name or no, even with Hemi power you're not going to be blowing off Mustang GTs or BMW 330s. Looking beyond the stats, the Magnum's power delivery is what impressed us ? it's seamless, strong and never feels strained. This car makes a great cruiser, 80 mph feels more like 50, and there's always plenty of thrust on tap to blast onto the freeway, pass daydreamers on cell phones or get around semis on a long two-laner. With our heavy feet, the Magnum averaged 16 mpg (against estimates of 17 and 25). On a long, open freeway trip, you should get around 22 mpg, as we've done that on several occasions.

Although the five-speed automatic comes with the "AutoStick" manual-shift capability, there's no need to use it as the tranny does fine on its own, delivering crisp upshifts and quick downshifts with a nudge of the throttle. Even under full throttle the drivetrain remains as unflustered and smooth as Clint with the ladies.

Picking gears ourselves was somewhat frustrating ? like many of these setups there's a slight lag after you flick for an upshift, though response to a flick down is more prompt. Also annoying is the tranny's tendency to upshift on its own (a few hundred rpm short of redline) even in this "manual" mode.

For such a big bruiser, the Magnum does an admirable job of getting around corners. The lightly weighted steering is precise and, even though there's not much road feel, makes it easy to place the big wagon. At a moderately sporting pace through the twisties, the Magnum is composed, with minimal body roll, and the rear-drive chassis is nicely balanced. But push it harder and the big tires feel squishy ? almost like you're going to wear the sidewalls out before the tread if you keep these shenanigans up.

Going to 19-inch wheels with lower-profile (say a 50-series versus the stock 60-series spec) tires would probably kick up the ultimate handling. To be fair, we were pressing pretty hard at that point and are confident that the Magnum's handling envelope would be large enough for most buyers. Notes from the slalom session at the track gave the Dodge kudos for great steering and the "right there" power to pull out of the cones, but also stated the Magnum is "just too big and heavy to feel nimble in the slalom." No real surprise there.

The ABS-assisted four-wheel discs did a commendable job of bringing all that kinetic energy to a halt. A trio of back-to-back stops from 60 mph displayed no fade and a progressive pedal, something we also noted on the street. The best stop took 130.4 feet.

Out on the open highway is where the Magnum feels most at home. A quiet cabin and a suspension that knows how to deal with expansion joints and frost heaves characterize the Magnum's road trip strengths. With supportive seating and a wheelbase some 15 inches longer than the Legacy, anyone short of Shaq should be comfortable riding in the Magnum, front or rear.

A Close One, but More Votes for the Magnum
At the end of the day, all three editors involved in this test found themselves leaning toward the Magnum. One staffer summed it up this way: "So it's not as nimble as the Legacy when you're driving it like a sports car. Who cares? In the real world you're going to appreciate the room, comfort and effortless power of the Magnum a lot more often than you will the Subie's edge in all-out handling."

What Works:
Effortless speed, sporty handling for such a heavy car, tight build quality, strong brakes, spacious cabin.

What Needs Work:
Not as involving a drive as the Legacy, hard plastic trim taints cabin atmosphere.

Bottom Line:
Although its performance will delight driving enthusiasts, the Magnum RT also has the room, comfort and features that make it a smart choice for the whole family.

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

The Subie's rising beltline and tapering roofline give the wagon a sporty persona at rest that is confirmed when the car's in motion.

Although it doesn't have the same visual impact as the Magnum, the Legacy GT wagon is still a nice-looking ride.

A tasteful variety of materials and textures along with tight-as-a-drum build quality put the Legacy's cabin a cut above the Magnum's.

Lithe Legacy
Those who prefer more of a gymnast's (or martial artist's) personality in their family truckster will want to pay close attention here. The Legacy GT is for those enthusiasts who get more delight out of zipping through corners than blasting away from stoplights. A nicely trimmed cabin and an eager turbo engine don't hurt either.

Listing at $31,570, this is the top-of-the-line Legacy wagon. One could forgo the leather seats, moonroof and other gingerbread of the Limited edition and trim the sticker by $2,700, but we wanted both cars to be as comparably equipped as possible (the Magnum RT comes with leather, for instance) so we went whole hog.

"Running" the Numbers
In a straight-line contest, the Legacy isn't too far behind the Magnum. Less than three-tenths separated the two in the 0-to-60 dash (the Subie posted a 7.08-second time) and it was the same in the quarter, where the Legacy ran a 15.29-second effort. But like we said before, the delivery of the performance is more different than the close times might imply.

Where the Dodge exhibits linear pull right off the mark, the Subie isn't as quick right out of the blocks, feeling a touch soft at step-off. But once the tach needle swings past 2,600, the Legacy hits its stride and pulls hard to the 6,500-rpm redline. Fuel "economy" was disappointing ? we averaged just 17.2 mpg against EPA estimates of 19 and 25. But then again, we were as guilty as the day is long of having our feet deep in the boost whenever conditions allowed.

Dynamite Dynamics
We've issued complaints in the past about Subaru automatics being a little lazy as far as answering the call for a downshift, and if you just plunk the gearshift in "D," you'll see what we mean. Upshifts occur too soon and those downshifts take a hearty stab to the throttle. But Subaru offers a way around that.

With a "sport" mode offered in addition to the other two (normal and manual shift), the tranny morphs into something more to our liking. Select "sport" and the reward is quicker response to downshifts and the smarts to hold gears longer, such as when running through a set of curves on a mountain road.

If you want to maximize fuel efficiency, leave it in "Drive," but if you're in the mood to really enjoy the feisty STi-derived 2.5-liter turbo four, pick "S" or just shift for yourself. Swapping cogs on your own is a similar experience to the Magnum, meaning it's quicker on the downshifts than upshifts ? really not much fun. A real manual transmission is available on the Legacy GT, unlike the Magnum which is slushbox only.

With its best 60-to-0 braking distance a leisurely 137.8 feet, this Legacy's binders were mildly disappointing. On the upside was a lack of fade and the brake system's ability to provide a strong initial bite without being grabby.

Feeling more Germanic than Asian, the Legacy is more fun than a wagon should be on a serpentine stretch of road. With its perfectly weighted steering, invisible all-wheel-drive system and well-sorted suspension, the Legacy feels utterly composed through the curves at speeds that would have the Dodge falling all over itself in an effort to keep up. Not that we would know this firsthand or anything. The Subaru's firmer ride will also appeal to those who prefer more interaction than isolation between themselves and the road below.

First-Class Cabin
A major bennie the Subie has over the Dodge is cabin ambience. Softer-touch materials and more variety in colors and textures give the Legacy more of a luxury car vibe than the more monotone and severe Dodge. Fake wood accents on the doors and console do a passable impersonation of teak, and the fit and finish on our tester was excellent all around. With more supportive contouring than the Magnum's bucket seats and bench, the Legacy was judged a little more comfortable. Well, except by those taller than 5 feet 9, who preferred the stretch-out space of the Magnum.

No Wrong Choices Here
Although the Legacy got edged out by the Dodge in our informal comparison, we certainly appreciate its strengths. If you've got a small family and place more value on handling dynamics and cabin refinement than on maximum space and a burly V8, you won't go wrong here. We wouldn't kick it out of our driveways.

What Works:
Handling more sport sedan than wagon, stylish interior, supportive seats, solid build quality, manual transmission available.

What Needs Work:
A little soft off the line, braking performance not as strong as expected, backseat tight for taller folks.

Bottom Line:
An entertaining wagon with an enviable identity crisis, the Legacy GT combines Germanic road performance with Japanese ergonomics, build quality and value.

Performance:

Dodge Magnum RT     Subaru Legacy GT Limited
Zero-to-60-mph acceleration, sec.    6.8    7.1
Quarter-mile acceleration (sec@mph)    15.0    15.3
Quarter-mile speed, mph    94.4    93.0
60-to-0-mph braking, feet    129.8    137.8
600-ft slalom, mph    61.1    61.9

BMWDave

Cant argue with the Hemi Power, but the Subaru looks a lot better on the interior.  I also prefer its clean and sophisticated look over that of the Magnum.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

FlatBlackCaddy

Subaru, because i can get a manual.

Wouldn't the volvo V70R fit in there somewhere(do they still make the V70R?)

Edit: The subaru also looks alot better inside and out, imo.

TBR

QuoteSubaru, because i can get a manual.

It is considerably more expensive, so no. However, they probably should have put in a V70 T5. The Subaru is also my personal favorite.  

Raza

Automatic to automatic, I'd take the Magnum.  But I can't argue with a stickshift.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

It is considerably more expensive, so no. However, they probably should have put in a V70 T5. The Subaru is also my personal favorite.
The V70R starts at $39,255, while the T5 edition starts at $36,480.  Its about 5K more, so yes, it is considerable more expensive.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

The V70R starts at $39,255, while the T5 edition starts at $36,480.  Its about 5K more, so yes, it is considerable more expensive.
That is about what I was thinking for the V70R (too lazy to look up the actual numbers), but I thought the T5 was cheaper, so even it would be too expensive for this comparo.  

BMWDave

That is about what I was thinking for the V70R (too lazy to look up the actual numbers), but I thought the T5 was cheaper, so even it would be too expensive for this comparo.
The 2.5t starts at $32,525.  That would be the one to include in this comparo.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

The 2.5t starts at $32,525.  That would be the one to include in this comparo.
But it would have no chance against the Legacy GT and Magnum.

ifcar

The T5 V50 would fit in here, at least in price.  

BMWDave

QuoteThe T5 V50 would fit in here, at least in price.
I guess so, althought its a bit small.  It would certainly be up to speed though.  That T5 is a peppy engine for the V50.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

giant_mtb

Quotelegacy for me please
Same here.  (and it's NOT 'cause I'm a troll  :angry: )

Tom

That's an interesting review and I'm surprised that the Legacy really keep up with the Magnum in acceleration.  Tough choice.

Fire It Up

I'd take the Magnum, even though its a slushy. Why? Well, would you really take a wagon to do some windy road sport driving? No; thats what sports cars are for!  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

QuoteI'd take the Magnum, even though its a slushy. Why? Well, would you really take a wagon to do some windy road sport driving? No; thats what sports cars are for!
The Magnum isn't necessarily a sports car, though...?

Raza

QuoteI'd take the Magnum, even though its a slushy. Why? Well, would you really take a wagon to do some windy road sport driving? No; thats what sports cars are for!
That's the mentality that leads to more Camrys.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

But the Camry is boring....

ifcar

He's referring to the idea that family cars don't have to be sporty. Raza thinks all vehicles should be sporty, in case you haven't noticed.

Raza

He's referring to the idea that family cars don't have to be sporty. Raza thinks all vehicles should be sporty, in case you haven't noticed.
Not all.  You can still have your Lincoln Town Car...err, Lexus LS430.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

Well, I was saying that Magnums, unlike Camry's, are most likely not boring. And its so damn cool...it feels cool just to sit in the damn thing.