Some protection options for the Audi

Started by ro51092, November 27, 2006, 03:35:47 PM

ro51092

I got a call from my dealer today, confirming the delivery on Saturday for my A4. He also offered me a 3M Clear Bra, or Bumper Molding for $495 each. Is it worth it?

Danish

My first reaction is if you want either don't buy from the dealer cause they will probably overcharge...

Then again, this is a lease, right? Do you even have a choice? :confused:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

ro51092

Yeah, it's a lease. I dont know if it is worth it or not. $450 does seem like a lot of dough for that. Besides, it's out of my hands in 2 years.

The Pirate

If you live in an area where you are going to have a lot of debris kicked up into the front of your car while driving, the 3M bra might be a worthwhile consideration.? However they are somewhat noticeable on darker colors, even when installed properly, which isn't easy to do.? If they are installed poorly, it will look terrible.  If the dealership installer is good at it, it might be a worthy investment.  I personally wouldn't go for either of them, but my car already has 7 years worth of rock chips, etc. 

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml

Give this a quick read, it anwers some questions about the process.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Danish

Come to think of it, knowing that you live in SD (:praise:), you probably should pass...
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

ro51092

You know, now it really doesn't seem worth it. I'll still have it in the back of my mind, but I'm probably going to skip.

The Pirate

Oh yeah, if it's a lease, forget it.  It's not really your car then.

:devil:

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ro51092

Yeah, screw break-in periods and proper care. This thing's GONE in 2 years!!! :devil:

The Pirate

*note to self*- do not buy cars just off a lease

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on November 27, 2006, 05:03:44 PM
Yeah, thats what I thought

Yeah, you're not really low enough to the ground that you won't get more than a few kicks up here and there.  I mean, if you have a low sports or GT car like a Corvette or an Elise or a 350Z (I believe Adam and Jordan both have 3M Clear Bras), then it's worth it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

Quote from: Raza on November 27, 2006, 05:07:08 PM
Yeah, you're not really low enough to the ground that you won't get more than a few kicks up here and there.  I mean, if you have a low sports or GT car like a Corvette or an Elise or a 350Z (I believe Adam and Jordan both have 3M Clear Bras), then it's worth it. 

I dont think jordan has it

But I know Adam does, and from what i could tell was pretty happy with it.  You would have to ask him who installed his.
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

S204STi

For a car that you would keep, I would consider one of those bug reflectors because the leading edge of your  hood probably takes the brunt of it, and the bumper can be resprayed to look new if it gets chipped up badly.

Raghavan

Look at your TL, does it need it? There's your answer.

ro51092

Quote from: Raghavan on November 27, 2006, 08:16:59 PM
Look at your TL, does it need it? There's your answer.

Not so easy, that car had shit on it from New York.

Raghavan

Quote from: ro51092 on November 27, 2006, 08:20:55 PM
Not so easy, that car had shit on it from New York.
Oh, well then, that complicates everything. :lol:

ro51092

The Pirate

Hahaha, I live in New York, and my car has shit all over the hood and bumper that I positively can't get off.  I should have gone for the clear bra about 40,000 miles ago, I guess.

mazda6er

My car is chewed to all shit from construction. I would have gotten one if I realized how horribly fragile the paint job would be. And this is the second front-end, mind you, what with my difference of opinion with that pole...
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Catman

sparkplug

What's the cup size on this bra. Get one from Walmart. They're a lot cheaper. Don't even bother with Victoria's Secret. You know - WonderBra.

JYODER240

I have it but only on the front bumper not on the hood or mirrors. I didn't put it on the hood because i hate the way it looks. So far i have only 1 minor chip on the hood.

I apologize for the big pictures:

Here is pic where you can see the edge of the 3M.

Here is the whole bumper:

This has nothing to do with the topic but check out how well the water beads up :praise:

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

JYODER240

My brother-in-laws, he may be getting rid of it for a Cooper S :rockon:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

saxonyron

It's not a bad price for the clearbra, but skip it for sure.  My A6, I finally painted the front bumper at around 100,000 miles.  It lookes good as new at 50,000 miles, but started looking a little sandblasted by 100k miles.  For $350, it looked factory-new.  The hood doesn't chip too badly, so I wouldn't worry about it.  Your lease is for 2 yrs and 30,000 mi? Unless you live in the desert and have lots of sand storms, I'd skip it.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

sparkplug

Might as well get a pack of rubbers for the rear.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Don't drive PA-322 at night.  I know most highways can get bad at night, but 322 is the worst I've ever seen.  After driving home at night, I can barely see through my windscreen because of all the bugs.  It looks like I drove right into the middle of a damn paintball game.  Most of it has come off the front end, since I drive through flooded roads and in the rain and stuff like that.

All that clay is still behind my wheels.  I should probably wash the car, but I don't know of any car washes in this city.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i