Is this a sign I need new struts...?

Started by giant_mtb, November 28, 2006, 06:33:42 PM

giant_mtb

So my suspension, both front and back, makes a (quite) loud rattling-type sound when going over bumps and it's very very annoying.  Someone told me it was 'cause my struts are "bad" and I need new ones.  Is this legit or is there something else that's wrong?

IrishGuy

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2006, 06:33:42 PM
So my suspension, both front and back, makes a (quite) loud rattling-type sound when going over bumps and it's very very annoying.  Someone told me it was 'cause my struts are "bad" and I need new ones.  Is this legit or is there something else that's wrong?

Is your exhaust loose at all?
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2006, 06:33:42 PM
So my suspension, both front and back, makes a (quite) loud rattling-type sound when going over bumps and it's very very annoying.? Someone told me it was 'cause my struts are "bad" and I need new ones.? Is this legit or is there something else that's wrong?

It's very possible.? What year and how many miles?

It's a Monte Carlo, right?

Edit:  Push down on the vehicle over one of the struts.  Push down a few times, enough to bounce the car.  Stop pushing, if the car still bounces several times after you stop, struts are bad or on their way out.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Danish

It sounds like a loose exhaust system. Check under the car to see any piping is loose or if it has come off the hanger.

Adam is right about testing the struts. IIRC, you push the car (like the trunk) down and it should stop after two/three bounces (oscillations)
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

saxonyron

A loose rattling sound in a front end could be a lot of things.? Suspects are tie rods, ball joints, struts, I even had a loose steering rack in my A6 once that just needed to re-torque 2 bolts.? You need to put the car on a lift and give everything a good "once over" before you pull any triggers. Noise in both front and back could well be the exhaust system, too. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

giant_mtb

Well, damn, guys...I wish I had some way I could get under that thing enough to have a good look around...  :mask:  I need ramps.  Bad.

Monte Carlo with ~108,XXX.

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2006, 04:33:06 AM
Well, damn, guys...I wish I had some way I could get under that thing enough to have a good look around...  :mask:  I need ramps.  Bad.

Monte Carlo with ~108,XXX.

Well try the bounce thing with the struts.  If the car stops oscillating right when you stop applying force, it's probably not the struts.  Process of elimination.

Oh, and for check suspension and front end related goodies, a hydraulic jack and jackstands will be much better than ramps.  With Christmas specials going on, I bet you could get the jack and stands for $50 or so.

Just alway, always, always use jackstands when you are going to be underneath the car.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

sandertheshark

Quote from: saxonyron on November 28, 2006, 11:10:14 PM
A loose rattling sound in a front end could be a lot of things.  Suspects are tie rods, ball joints, struts, I even had a loose steering rack in my A6 once that just needed to re-torque 2 bolts.  You need to put the car on a lift and give everything a good "once over" before you pull any triggers. Noise in both front and back could well be the exhaust system, too.
What he said.

And find that guy who said it must be your struts and tell him he's a jackass.  It could be a half-dozen different things.