That'll learn me for neglecting my drums...

Started by VTEC_Inside, November 28, 2006, 10:49:07 PM

VTEC_Inside

Driving the Accord today and it sounded like my right rear was going to fall off. I actually pulled over and checked the lug nuts.

Got home and before I even had the wheel off I had an idea of what I might find.

A couple pieces of the drum had rotted clean off and were stuck between the drum and the backing plate. I removed 6-8 semi circular strips of rotted metal lol...

I chipped off most of whatever else looked bad and put it back on. I think its time for new ones though.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 28, 2006, 10:49:07 PM

I chipped off most of whatever else looked bad and put it back on. I think its time for new ones though.

Ya think? :lol:

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

VTEC_Inside

Lol, I gotta take pics of what I found trapped in there.

Shame though as the actual braking surface still has plenty of thickness and appears to be in decent shape.

Purely from a point of view of balance these ones have gotta go though. I checked the drivers side while I was at it and that drum wasn't far from having the same pieces brake free. I laughed when I put the wheel back on because the weight of the drum is soo offset that the wheel spun down a half circle...

Danish

Yeah, I was gonna ask for pics when I came to my senses....

You can still use the current shoes for the new drums, right?
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Danish on November 29, 2006, 01:03:45 AM
Yeah, I was gonna ask for pics when I came to my senses....

You can still use the current shoes for the new drums, right?

Yeah, but I'd probably get new ones at the same time. The passenger side ones haven't got much left on them anyway.

I went and priced them earlier. Its gonna be about $90-$150 depending on what "grade" parts I go with.

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 29, 2006, 08:30:37 PM
Yeah, but I'd probably get new ones at the same time. The passenger side ones haven't got much left on them anyway.

I went and priced them earlier. Its gonna be about $90-$150 depending on what "grade" parts I go with.

The good thing about drums is that they last a very long time, so if you do them now you won't likely need to again while you own the vehicle.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: R-inge on November 29, 2006, 08:36:44 PM
The good thing about drums is that they last a very long time, so if you do them now you won't likely need to again while you own the vehicle.

Yeah. The ones on it are probably the originals from almost 18yrs ago now. 388,000kms later, lol...

Functionally they are still fine with the exception of the mass imbalance caused by corrosion.

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 30, 2006, 08:25:17 AM
Yeah. The ones on it are probably the originals from almost 18yrs ago now. 388,000kms later, lol...

Functionally they are still fine with the exception of the mass imbalance caused by corrosion.
You may also be feeling wheel imbalance, so don't be surprised if you still have a shimmy back there after the brake job.

If you do it yourself, get a good brake drum adjuster tool and a good spring tool.  Otherwise it is a complete pain replacing the shoes.  If they offer a hardware kit rather than including it with the shoes, go ahead and spring for it because they are going to sit in there for a long time, and it would be best not to have them break.

The Pirate

I hate doing drum brakes.  I've never checked to see how what shape they are in on my Honda, but on my old Ford truck, it was not a fun job.  Of course, by the time I did them (153K mi and 4th owner) they were in a quite a state of disrepair.  I was just going to do the drums and shoes, but like R-inge said to do, I just ended up getting the spring/hardware kit, and replaced everything.  Still wasn't fun though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: R-inge on November 30, 2006, 10:48:35 AM
You may also be feeling wheel imbalance, so don't be surprised if you still have a shimmy back there after the brake job.

If you do it yourself, get a good brake drum adjuster tool and a good spring tool. Otherwise it is a complete pain replacing the shoes. If they offer a hardware kit rather than including it with the shoes, go ahead and spring for it because they are going to sit in there for a long time, and it would be best not to have them break.

I don't really feel an imbalance now, but I imagine it there has to be a little of one the way they look.

I'm not too concerned about pulling them apart. I've had them apart before (a while back) just to clean them up and lube the adjuster. I didn't have much trouble then so...

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 30, 2006, 05:40:53 PM
I don't really feel an imbalance now, but I imagine it there has to be a little of one the way they look.

I'm not too concerned about pulling them apart. I've had them apart before (a while back) just to clean them up and lube the adjuster. I didn't have much trouble then so...

That part is easy.  In order to replace the shoes you have to remove all the springs and retainers that hook into the backing plate and shoes.  It can be a pain if you don't do it often.

BartsSVO

Mine on my Ranger were in worse shape when I pulled them off last summer. Literally the entire rim of the drum was just rusted away. Remarkably though the inside of the drum was in near ideal condition, except on the driver's side which was just covered in gunk due to the leaking wheel cylinder on that side.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Ron From Regina

Spring for a spring tool, if you haven't got one already. Trying to monkey around with a set of pliers is a waste of time.

giant_mtb

And I came into this thread thinking someone was having trouble putting together a drum set or something.   :banghead:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Ron From Regina on December 04, 2006, 07:45:32 PM
Spring for a spring tool, if you haven't got one already. Trying to monkey around with a set of pliers is a waste of time.
??
I always just use needle-nose pliers.  What is this spring tool you speak of?  :mask:
Will

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 05, 2006, 07:07:42 AM
??
I always just use needle-nose pliers. What is this spring tool you speak of? :mask:

Something like this:

Which I have also always done without.

Btw, the neglect continues... :)

Ron From Regina

I've got a set like this, that has the pliers and remover on the end of the one handle. Works pretty slick.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Ron From Regina on December 05, 2006, 10:44:22 AM
I've got a set like this, that has the pliers and remover on the end of the one handle. Works pretty slick.

How much?
Will

The Pirate

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 05, 2006, 07:03:31 PM
How much?

I have one just like the Ron from Regina posted too, I paid about $15 for it 4 years ago.  Even at double that price, it's well worth it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: The Pirate on December 05, 2006, 07:41:38 PM

I have one just like the Ron from Regina posted too, I paid about $15 for it 4 years ago.? Even at double that price, it's well worth it.
Fo' sho. 
I'm surprised the Army garage doesn't have them.  Or maybe they do and they just don't tell me.  :mask:
Will