08 VW Tiguan

Started by ifcar, November 29, 2006, 04:57:49 AM

ifcar

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Reviews/SUVs_Wagons/Preview_2008_Volkswagen_Tiguan.S181.A11451.html

Volkswagen has unveiled its eagerly anticipated compact SUV, the Tiguan, and revealed the first customer cars will be delivered by the end of next year.

Taking a bow at the L.A. Auto Show in concept form, the newcomer is 173.2 inches long, 72.8 inches wide and 66.5 inches high - very similar to the Touran compact minivan.

The front end and side profile maintain the "baby Touareg" appearance of the Concept A prototype revealed earlier this year. The dark metallic tone of the front grille contrasts with the bright body color; a grid pattern and two dominant crossfins at the sides of the Volkswagen roundel complete the look.

Another striking feature is the tire design. The 19-inch rubber has been developed by Continental with an orange radial stripe beneath the profile, which matches the car's paint color. It isn't cosmetic, but a baked-in component of the casing. The stylish alloy rims are likely to feature in the production vehicle.

2008 Volkswagen TiguanAt the rear, the lights are integrated into the shoulder section similar to those on the 2007 Volkswagen Eos convertible, while the steeply sloping tailgate extends right down to the bumper.

Inside, the black, silver and orange theme continues. Seating five people, the leather seats are trimmed with a pattern which mirrors that of the tyre tread. The rear bench slides fore and aft, or can be folded down, to increase load space. Overhead a panoramic sunroof adds light to the interior.

Under the hood is a Bluetec diesel engine developed in partnership with Audi and Mercedes. It features different systems to reduce emissions, including a NOx storage catalytic converter which cuts nitrogen oxides by up to 90 per cent over current diesel units. It complies with the strictest emissions standards in the world.

Galaxy

The Bluetech engine is nice but the styling is questionable imo.

nickdrinkwater

Like a Golf Plus on stilts.

TheIntrepid

I'll take the new Touareg thanks ;).

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on November 29, 2006, 04:57:49 AM

Looks pretty nice IMHO. I just wish I could get 4Motion on a GTI or A3 instead.

AWD + 2.0T + 6MT =  :praise:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 29, 2006, 07:08:10 AM

AWD + 2.0T + 6MT = :praise:

A3 comes with Quattro on both 2.0T (optional) and 3.2... isn't Quattro and 4Motion the same technology?

The Pirate

Quote from: touareg208 on November 29, 2006, 07:16:14 AM
A3 comes with Quattro on both 2.0T (optional) and 3.2... isn't Quattro and 4Motion the same technology?

I'm not positive, but the AWD might not be available with the manual transmission.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

jayeshks

Quote from: touareg208 on November 29, 2006, 07:16:14 AM

Not totally sure but I believe Quattro uses a Torsen diff and 4Motion a Haldex wet clutch setup. 

The Pirate

Quote from: jayeshks on November 29, 2006, 08:01:13 AM
Not totally sure but I believe Quattro uses a Torsen diff and 4Motion a Haldex wet clutch setup.

That sounds right to me.  I think I remember reading that somewhere.  They are both better than a FWD based "on demand" system though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SJ_GTI

This thing, along with the Golf and A3, use haldex based AWD.

Also, the A3 only comes with AWD on the 3.2 DSG model in North America. Europe does have a A3 2.0T Quattro sportback, which I absolutely would have bought if it was sold in the US.

sandertheshark

Most appealing VW so far, IMO.  But then from me that's not saying much.

TBR

Quote from: jayeshks on November 29, 2006, 08:01:13 AM

Depends on the car. The previous Passat actually had Quattro though they called it 4motion while the TT and A3 have 4motion though they called it Quattro. If it has a longitudinal engine then it has real Quattro, if it has a transverse engine it has 4motion (all of the Golf platform cars).

TBR

Nice looking suv by the way. I hope we get the Blutech partnered with a 6-spd manual.

TurboDan

What's the price on this thing, though?  VW has been pretty bad about jacking up prices lately.  For the "peoples' car," they're pushing more and more potential customers away.  If they price this to compete with the FJ Cruiser, Liberty, and others in the segment, that's one thing.  But if they start this in the mid-to-high-20s for a bare-bones model, it's not gonna fly.  See: Land Rover Freelander.

ro51092

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 29, 2006, 07:08:10 AM

AWD + 2.0T + 6MT =  :praise: MY A4

:lol: :rockon:

ifcar

Quote from: TurboDan on November 29, 2006, 08:37:49 PM
What's the price on this thing, though?  VW has been pretty bad about jacking up prices lately.  For the "peoples' car," they're pushing more and more potential customers away.  If they price this to compete with the FJ Cruiser, Liberty, and others in the segment, that's one thing.  But if they start this in the mid-to-high-20s for a bare-bones model, it's not gonna fly.  See: Land Rover Freelander.

Freelander Part II is an 07 model.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on November 29, 2006, 08:14:49 AM

That sounds right to me.  I think I remember reading that somewhere.  They are both better than a FWD based "on demand" system though.

"Quattro" on all Golf based Audis is Haldex.  That means the TT is Haldex, the A3 is Haldex, the R32 is as well.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.