08 Altima coupe

Started by ifcar, November 29, 2006, 05:39:25 AM

ifcar

New Altima Coupe Debuts at Los Angeles Auto Show; Offers Upscale Styling, Sporty Performance, Driver-Oriented Interior and High Quality

The Nissan Altima is a car on the move. With its next generation design for the 2007 model year, Nissan?s best-selling vehicle in the United States is poised for even greater success as it establishes segment leadership in style, design, performance and innovation. The next-generation Altima is also expanding its model offerings with a new Altima Hybrid, set to go on sale in select markets in January 2007, and a dramatically styled new Altima Coupe, which will go on sale as a 2008 model in summer 2007.

The Altima Coupe, which made its debut in the shadows of Hollywood at the 2006 Los Angeles Auto Show, fills a desire among target customers for a more personal expression of style, individuality and fashionable appearance. The Altima Coupe?s unique exterior design is intended to stand out in a crowd of sedan-based two-door models with magnetic, perfectly proportioned styling with a shorter wheelbase, shorter overall length and lower height than the Altima Sedan.

The smaller size and lighter overall weight also contribute to the Coupe?s sportier driving feel ? other desired attributes of the typically younger, more performance-oriented coupe buyers.

?Rather than just eliminating two doors from the Altima Sedan, we gave the Altima Coupe its own style, its own dimensions and its own interpretation of Nissan?s exhilarating driving pleasure,? said Bill Bosley, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division.

Though the new Altima Coupe shares much with the latest edition of the Altima Sedan, which went on sale in early November 2006, the Coupe?s smaller dimensions, driver-oriented cockpit and unique styling give it an extensive amount of separation from the Altima Sedan.

Dimensionally, the Altima Coupe rides on a 105.3-inch wheelbase, a full 4.0 inches shorter than the Sedan. Overall length is 182.5 inches ? 7.1 inches less than the Sedan. The Coupe also has a lower profile ? at 55.3 inches it is 2.5 inches shorter than the Sedan. In terms of major body panels, the two cars share only a common hood, with all other panels, grille, headlights and rear combination lights unique to the Altima Coupe.

Under the new Altima Coupe?s sophisticated exterior design, this latest addition to the Altima family shares the platform, powertrain and user-friendly features and innovations of the new fourth-generation Altima.

?A strong sedan starting point, such as the new Altima, also gives you a tremendous advantage ? if you get the basics right, you can focus your efforts on the unique desires of coupe buyers, including wanting a purely personal space,? said Bosley.

The Altima Coupe, as part of the fourth-generation Altima design, utilizes Nissan?s all-new, highly acclaimed ?D? platform with increased body rigidity and a redesigned suspension. This new platform was developed with the objective of making Altima one of the best performing large front-wheel drive vehicles available globally.

New suspension geometry, shock absorbers with rebound springs, engine placement that is lower in the subframe and equal-length half-shafts that have equal angles and are more parallel to the ground all help to virtually eliminate torque steer.

The rear multi-link independent suspension design separates the rear shocks and springs for reduced friction and the shocks are in line with the center of the rear wheels, providing better damping and less harshness. Front and rear stabilizer bars are standard. The Altima suspension has been specially tuned for use with the Altima Coupe.

The new Altima Coupe is offered with a choice of two engines and two transmissions. The 3.5-liter 24-valve DOHC V6 is the ?next generation? version of the 12-time Ward?s ?10 Best Engines? award-winning VQ-series V6. For use in the Altima Coupe, it is rated at 270 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque and offers strong acceleration and refined sound quality. The V6 features reduced friction, improved cylinder head cooling and new twin knock sensors.

Also available with the new Altima Coupe is a 2.5-liter DOHC 16-valve QR25 inline 4-cylinder, producing 175 horsepower (170 hp CAL) and 180 lb-ft of torque (175 lb-ft CAL). This engine has been refined from the previous version, with a larger, equal-length intake manifold, increased compression ratio and reduced friction characteristics. It features a silent chain drive and a balancer system (with balancer changed to a center-mounted location for better NVH) that effectively negates vibrations without taking up much space ? combining ideal packaging and smoothness.

Both engines feature continuously variable valve timing, modular engine design, microfinished crank journals and cam lobes, molybdenum coated lightweight pistons and electronically controlled throttles.

Both the 3.5-liter V6 and 2.5-liter 4-cylinder models are available with Nissan?s advanced Xtronic CVT? (Continuously Variable Transmission) or 6-speed manual transmissions.

The V6 CVT features a ?Sport? mode controller with a high-speed central processing unit and Adaptive Shift Controller with adaptive logic for faster shifting in both normal and manual modes. The adaptive logic feature delivers the best shift pattern based on the driving environment and driver?s perceived intentions.

?The driving performance of the Altima Coupe is biased toward sporty feel, especially when equipped with our award-winning V6,? said Bosley. ?Handling is also a strong point of the new Coupe, as is the responsiveness feeling provided by the Xtronic CVT transmission.?

Also contributing to the Altima Coupe?s sporty performance feel are a standard twin-orifice vehicle-speed-sensitive power rack-and-pinion steering system and 4-wheel disc brakes with standard 4-wheel, 4-channel, 4-sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD).

Altima Coupe models with the 4-cylinder engine are equipped with 16-inch wheels and tires, while V6-equipped Altima Coupes come with unique-design 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and 215/55R17 tires.

The Altima Coupe?s performance feeling is also enhanced by a driver-centered interior. Though sharing much of the design and features with the new Altima Sedan, the Coupe includes unique sport-style front seats with more side support, in-board release lever and front kangaroo pouches. All Altima Coupes also utilize a parking brake hand lever (versus foot release for Altima Sedans with CVT). The Coupe also includes a 60/40 split and flat fold-down rear seat.

Like the Altima Sedan, the Altima Coupe?s instrument panel features a Fine Vision gauge display for enhanced readability and the L-shaped flow of the instrument panel to the center console adds to the driver-oriented cockpit feel.

The center console includes a double front cup holder, among the many convenient cup and bottle areas and storage compartments.

The list of impressive passenger amenities includes standard Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition and available Bose?-developed audio system with nine speakers, Bluetooth? Hands-Free Phone System, satellite radio and dual-zone automatic temperature control.

The new Altima Coupe also comes equipped with a number of standard safety features, including Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones and Advanced Air Bag System (AABS), which includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags. Also standard are front seat side-impact supplemental air bags for chest protection and roof-mounted curtain side-impact air bags for front and rear outboard occupant head protection.

Other standard equipment includes front seat Active Head Restraints, the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat anchors and tether system and Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS).

The 2008 Altima Coupe will be available in four well-equipped models: 2.5 S 6MT, 2.5 S CVT, 3.5 SE 6MT, 3.5 SE CVT.

Available technology features include a RearView Monitor, which utilizes a small camera to help show the view behind the vehicle when in reverse gear, and Nissan Navigation System with a 6.5-inch color monitor.

?Along with the Altima Coupe?s extensive list of available features and amenities, it offers one more thing to discerning coupe buyers ? the reassurance of Nissan durability, quality and reliability,? said Bosley.

The new Altima Coupe will be assembled at the Nissan North America Manufacturing Smyrna and Decherd, Tennessee plants.

Altima Coupe becomes the seventh Nissan Altima model, joining the 2.5, 2.5 S, 2.5 S with SL Package, 3.5 SE, 3.5 SL and Altima Hybrid (Hybrid Electric Vehicle).

?The Altima name and outstanding reputation adds great credibility to the new Altima Coupe ? and the Coupe makes the Altima brand stronger by appealing to a new segment of buyers,? said Bosley. ?And like the Altima Sedan, the new Coupe will be a tremendous value when it goes on sale next summer. If you?re looking for style, performance and affordability, the new Altima Coupe delivers.?

TheIntrepid

Rather than an Altima, it looks like a stretched, photochopped Sentra. I don't like it as much as I wanted to.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

sportyaccordy

I see elements of the G6, G35, Tiburon, and the 350Z. I wish the wheel gap was smaller...it works though. I like it.

SJ_GTI

I kind of dig it. The front grill is a little odd looking on this coupe though. Maybe they should have went for something different.

Raghavan

The roofline reminds me of the 350Z.
Everything else reminds me of a Solara.

SVT666

I don't like the front end.  The rest of it is nice though.

The Pirate

I don't really care for the look of FWD coupes.  It looks like everything is pushed towards the front of the car.  And this car doesn't really get me excited.  The sedan has the same engine and other stuff, with added utility.  Kudos to Nissan for letting you get a stick with both engines though.  That is honestly the only thing holding me back from buying a domestic. 

The classic RWD long hood short tail look is much better IMO. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

850CSi

TBR

Nasty looking. if they could've chopped the tail a little it would've made a huge difference.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

MX793

As someone else said, it seems a bit cab forward.  I don't think that's inherently a trait of FWD coupes (the last Mazda MX6 and 2g Eclipse were both well proportioned, IMO), but it does seem to be the trend.  But otherwise it looks pretty good.  Available manual with both engines is nice.  It's also nice to see Nissan introducing a more affordable coupe to their lineup to slot under the Z.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

afty

It's also several inches shorter than the sedan, with a shorter wheelbase.  Should make it more nimble than the sedan.  I think it looks great. 

I think this is the car's best angle.  Looks very G35ish to me:

nickdrinkwater

Isn't there a G35 Coupe?  If so, what's the point in this?

heelntoe

the G35 is RWD and priced higher, i think.
@heelntoe

93JC

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on November 29, 2006, 12:33:38 PM
Isn't there a G35 Coupe?? If so, what's the point in this?

This is significantly less expensive and front-drive (which can be a selling point for some people).

MrH

It's the ugly birth child of a G35 coupe and Scion TC.  I wish I had four hands so I could give that car four thumbs down.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Catman

Not too bad but it's short looking wheelbase doesn't make it look as good as the G35C.  Seems like this came out of nowhere, was anyone expecting it?

Danish

Quote from: MrH on November 29, 2006, 12:39:49 PM
It's the ugly birth child of a G35 coupe and Scion TC.  I wish I had four hands so I could give that car four thumbs down.

I was also thinking Scion tC Charlie Murphy!
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

GoCougs

Quote from: 850CSi on November 29, 2006, 08:47:22 AM
Um, G35?

This is an excellent point. The base MSRP of an '06 Altima SE-R was within about $1,500 of a base '06 G35 Sedan ($29,650 vs. $31,200).

With leather, big sound system and sun-roof, I don't see how the cost difference picture would be any different between the coupes.

mazda6er

The backseat looks like it will be torturous, from the side view pic.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

goldenlover1101

I see alot of solara, which is not a good thing. No where near as attractive as the g35 coupe. I wish nissan would of related it more to the 350z, which i like. Oh well, not my kind of car anyway. Anyone know if there will be a SE-R version?

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

JYODER240

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on November 29, 2006, 04:29:25 PM
I see alot of solara, which is not a good thing. No where near as attractive as the g35 coupe. I wish nissan would of related it more to the 350z, which i like. Oh well, not my kind of car anyway. Anyone know if there will be a SE-R version?

I'm glad it doesn't look like the Z.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

IrishGuy

I see too much Eclipse from the front 3/4 view (roof line) and way too much G6/Solara/TC in the back. 
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

MX793

Quote from: heelntoe on November 29, 2006, 12:35:31 PM
the G35 is RWD and priced higher, i think.

The G35 coupe is also only a 2+2.  This car appears to be a 5-seater like the Accord coupe.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on November 29, 2006, 03:51:59 PM
This is an excellent point. The base MSRP of an '06 Altima SE-R was within about $1,500 of a base '06 G35 Sedan ($29,650 vs. $31,200).

With leather, big sound system and sun-roof, I don't see how the cost difference picture would be any different between the coupes.

The same could be said of the sedans. The difference is that most Altimas sold will be base models in the low $20ks, and most G35s will have some extras added to them to up the price into the mid $30ks or so.

thewizard16

Quote from: Raza on November 29, 2006, 05:49:27 PM
I'd buy a used RSX.
Did you like that car? I was completely unimpressed with it, but probably mostly because it was coming from a supposedly premium nameplate and I saw nothing to justify that.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Quote from: thewizard16 on November 29, 2006, 07:23:16 PM
Did you like that car? I was completely unimpressed with it, but probably mostly because it was coming from a supposedly premium nameplate and I saw nothing to justify that.

Acura is near-lux, for me.  I like the looks, I like that it's hatchback, and I hear it drives well.  Plus, they sold loads, so you might be able to find a decent deal for one. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

I've always liked RSXs myself. Saw one tonight and I thought it was very good looking. More so than I remember.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer