Exhaust won't stay on the car, Round II

Started by The Pirate, November 29, 2006, 09:05:48 AM

The Pirate

Dammit, it happened again!!!

Last night, my exhaust separated itself from the car again (see my post in General Talk from a few weeks ago).  I had the exhaust fixed a couple of weeks ago.  The resonater was shot, as it dragged on the pavement when it broke originally, so they cut it out and put a glass packl in.  At the time I was half wondering what the car would sound like with just a glass pack.  :devil:

I didn't have high hopes as tiny 4 cylinders never sound good, but it was a cool though.

Well, my subconscious dream came true last night.  I was driving over to my parents house to take care of their animals (the joys of being the only one of their kids that still lives in the area, I'm the pet babysitter by default), and I hear a clunk and the car gets louder.  Not loud like an RPG hitting nearby, mind you, but definitely a rumble that wasn't there before.  I get to my parents house, pull in the driveway and get the back end up (used my jackstands this time, AutobahnSHO :lol:).  The pipe has broken right by the rear suspension arm.  It broke a  couple inches behind a hanger, so the front portion is still A-okay, but that last part was just attached by the hangers for the muffler itself.  I took the muffler and broken pipe right off the car.  I'll get a chance to take a look this weekend.  It gets dark here about 5 pm now, and I'm not out of work until about 7, so it's something that has to wait til this weekend.

I'm on the fence about which way to go though.  My financial situation isn't too hot right now, so I'm leaning towards just cleaning everything up a bit and popping a coupler and some clamps in there (this I could do myself).  On the other hand, this is the second exhaust related problem in recent times, and if I'm going to be coupling and clamping a new section of pipe every few months, I'd just as soon replace the whole thing.  If I go that route, I'm going to look at a Magnaflow catback and an Apex'i World Sport 2 catback.  Both of these are all stainless, and supposedly free up a little hp and torque (I'm rocking 106 hp and 103 lb-ft right now, every little bit is going to help :lol:).  More importantly, they are both barely louder than stock through most of the rev range, and have a pretty mellow sound, not ricey or farty or anything.

In the meantime, I have an exhaust that has a glass pack then a straight pipe back, finally dumping a bit ahead of the rear wheels.  It honestly doesn't sound as bad as I though it would, and it's fairly quiet too.  Even has a nice bark IMO. 

Hell, maybe I'll just keep it the way  it is.   :lol:

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

sandertheshark

The Pirate

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 29, 2006, 09:19:05 AM
Ricer. :rolleyes:

They have this package deal on nopi.com that if you buy an exhaust you get free altezza tails and a big ass wing!

I can't wait.

:lol: :mask:

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

Magnaflows might be nice...any chance you can bend them 90* for a dual side exit thing? :cheers:

GoCougs

I've been through many a do-it-yourself clamp-style exhaust system/repairs. There is never a substitute for welding in my experience.

The last time I did anything exhaust-related I had a local muffler shop weld on two OEM Mopar chrome exhaust tips (the nice big ones you see on '60s mopars) for about $30.

S204STi

I would die to have a good welder sometimes. :banghead:  One of those nice MIG/TIG combo things that you can plug into your 110 outlet, and yet will still weld up to 1/4" steel. :rockon:

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on November 29, 2006, 01:54:50 PM
Magnaflows might be nice...any chance you can bend them 90* for a dual side exit thing? :cheers:

If I had a truck or something with a V8, I'd do the side exit thing, but not on a Honda.  I'd have to punch myself if I did that.  I am going to take a closer look at Magnaflows though.

Quote from: GoCougs on November 29, 2006, 02:03:41 PM
I've been through many a do-it-yourself clamp-style exhaust system/repairs. There is never a substitute for welding in my experience.

The last time I did anything exhaust-related I had a local muffler shop weld on two OEM Mopar chrome exhaust tips (the nice big ones you see on '60s mopars) for about $30.

I agree re: the permanence of the clamps, however if I can do it myself and it lasts a year or so, I would be happy.  Probably worthwhile to get it looked at by an exhaust shop.  I'd take it back to the guys the fixed the resonator area, but I'm mildly annoyed that they didn't catch this. 

S204STi

Take it back one last time, point out that they missed this.  Who knows, maybe they will patch it for you!

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on November 29, 2006, 02:56:06 PM
Take it back one last time, point out that they missed this. Who knows, maybe they will patch it for you!

I don't think it's their fault or anything, and to be fair to them the area in which they were working was up near the junction of the manifold to the cat back portion of the exhaust, not the muffler area.  Just the same, had they mentioned it to me, I would have had it fixed right then.

Of course, I'm assuming that they noticed it too.  They very well may not have.  Regardless, it should be a cheap fix if I opt for that route.

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

J86

AutobahnSHO

Pfft.  Who needs exhaust??  Just keep the windows open.

Tough call, though, but you might be able to find someone to do the weld cheap.  If you really have to clamp it, do what you have to do.  But you'd probably be better off saving the money and getting it done right...
Will

The Pirate

Yeah, I had my dad pull away in it last night, and stomp on the gas fairly hard, so I could listen from outside.  It's really not that loud at all, and I must say it sounds a hell of a lot better than the fart cans out there.

Reminded me a bit of an old Mini, it's kind of raspy.

I might go with it for a while, until I figure out what I want to replace it with.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on November 29, 2006, 09:21:09 AM

They have this package deal on nopi.com that if you buy an exhaust you get free altezza tails and a big ass wing!

I can't wait.

:lol: :mask:

Give M_Power a call I think he was interested.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

SVT_Power

Quote from: touareg208 on November 30, 2006, 02:49:39 PM
Give M_Power a call I think he was interested.

Just because you have the package on your riced out Camry doesn't mean I'm interested :rolleyes: :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

sparkplug

It may good idea to have the rest of the exhaust inspected to see how durable it's going to be included the headers.

Danish

Quote from: M_power on November 30, 2006, 06:30:14 PM
Just because you have the package on your riced out Camry doesn't mean I'm interested :rolleyes: :lol:

His Camry can out slalom whatever piece of crap you bring to the table.... :rolleyes:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: M_power on November 30, 2006, 06:30:14 PM

HEY ... the body kit was factory :praise:

Though you have to admit the SE model with its body kit and clean lip spoiler looks a whole lot better than the XLE, LE, or CE models.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

No, no they all look equally plebeian.

Just like an Civic EX with the spoiler and sideskirts and all that is still a Civic.

:tounge: