Long-Term Test: 2006 Honda Ridgeline

Started by BMWDave, June 03, 2005, 05:44:27 AM

BMWDave

Introduction
By editors at Edmunds.com
Date posted: 06-02-2005

Despite years of speculation from consumers and the motoring press, Honda never seemed interested in building a pickup. We watched as other trucklike vehicles such as the CR-V and then the Pilot arrived with nary a sign of a pickup anywhere on the horizon.

Then, suddenly, the SUT concept showed up at the 2004 Detroit Auto Show. Honda billed it as a pickup for "cool dads" who want to maintain an active lifestyle. OK, where do we sign up? That concept later became the 2006 Honda Ridgeline.

So, it's a pickup?and it's a Honda!? The halls of Edmunds.com were filled with chants of "we've got to get one of those." We just had to find out how this new truck from Honda would handle the daily rigors of kids, commuting, carpools and summer camp, so we decided to add one to the long-term fleet.

The Ridgeline uses an architecture that combines unibody- and full-frame construction and shares some of its running gear with the Honda Pilot. However, the Ridgeline is 90-percent unique and is not just a pickup version of the Pilot.

In our 2006 Honda Ridgeline review, we said it was a good truck for those who don't necessarily like trucks. Road Test Editor Dan Kahn wrote that review and said, "If you need the space of an SUV and utility of a pickup truck, but want nimble carlike handling, the Ridgeline is an excellent choice."

The carlike handling comes courtesy of four-wheel independent suspension. We feel its dual personality is perfect for most families. Editorial Director Kevin Smith said, "If people suddenly become realistic about what they need in a truck, this one would put a lot of others out of business. It's a people hauler but you can also load up tons of stuff when you need to."

Since Americans are always keen on getting more for their money, the Honda Ridgeline may appeal to value-conscious consumers more than truck lovers. Priced more like a minivan than a loaded Ford F-150 SuperCrew King Ranch, Honda's pickup truck-light starts at just under $30,000.

We purchased our 2006 Ridgeline RTL with moonroof and XM radio from Goudy Honda in Alhambra, California. This is the third long-termer we have bought from Goudy, the other two being our 2003 Honda Pilot and 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid. We continue going back to this dealership because of its competitive pricing, the wide selection of vehicles and the friendly staff.

MSRP for our Ridgeline is $33,155 but Edmunds.com True Market Value (TMV)? pricing put it at $33,038. The Ridgeline is somewhat popular, so a price slightly less than sticker is reasonable.

But it hasn't all been peaches and cream. We have a few initial complaints about the Ridgeline. Kevin Smith notes, "Outward visibility, especially to the rear quarters, is awful." Road Test Editor Brian Moody confirmed this by saying, "Every time I change lanes I get this 'uh-oh' feeling in my stomach. The mirrors and side windows are plenty big but that rear-most pillar creates a huge blind spot."

Also, more than one editor noticed a buzz or humming that seems to be coming from the base of the windshield or the upper part of the dash but only at speeds of 55 or higher under windy conditions.

But our Honda Ridgeline is still relatively new with less than 1,000 miles on the odometer so it's far too soon to completely cheer or jeer the truck. Check back in a few months to see if we've fallen in love with Honda's first pickup or if we find it to be just another car-based SUV.

Current Odometer: 806
Best Fuel Economy: 15.9 mpg
Worst Fuel Economy: 13.7 mpg
Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 14.7 mpg
Body Repair Costs: None
Maintenance Costs: None
Problems: None

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

bobwill

I've been saying since I first saw one, that you wouldn't be able to see a small car that's behind and to the sides of that thing.  Of course, I doubt that the Avalance is any better.  I assume that gas mileage will still go up a little after the motor's broken in.

giant_mtb

Is the gas mileage even that much better than its competitors?  <_<  

Raza

Cool dads who want to maintain an active lifestyle?  Magnum RT.  Job done.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

bobwill

QuoteIs the gas mileage even that much better than its competitors?  <_<
It's actually probably worse than what most people would compare it to; I just meant that you shouldn't pass judgement on it yet, wait another 2000 miles or so.

giant_mtb

QuoteCool dads who want to maintain an active lifestyle?  Magnum RT.  Job done.
:P  

BMWDave

QuoteCool dads who want to maintain an active lifestyle?  Magnum RT.  Job done.
Pretty much.  That is one bad ass wagon.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteIs the gas mileage even that much better than its competitors?  <_<
Its EPA ratings aren't and its real world fuel economy is probably worse (smaller engine than all of its competitors except for Colorado means it will have to be pushed more in day to day driving).  

ifcar

In CR's fuel economy testing, the Ridgeline was tied with the Frontier, better than the Dakota, but behind both the Colorado and Tacoma.