I just love this car...

Started by gasoline, December 01, 2006, 03:58:33 PM

Raza

Quote from: touareg208 on December 10, 2006, 10:15:26 AM
Aura, C-Class, TSX... or am I wrong? :huh:

The Aura isn't exactly a Vectra, we don't have a C200K, and I believe the Accord Type R has more power than the TSX.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza on December 10, 2006, 11:22:59 AM
The Aura isn't exactly a Vectra, we don't have a C200K, and I believe the Accord Type R has more power than the TSX.

Oh okay.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ChrisV

Quote from: BRealistic on December 09, 2006, 01:51:06 PM
Sure- rear drive is the current automotive buzz word. But to suggest that a decently set up rear drive chassis is not noticeable compared to a front drive chassis in enthusiastic normal driving seems rather odd for somebody so experienced as you Chris.

I do agree that front drive is ok for a generic sedan. But if a vehicle is being presented like it is for enthusiasts and is relatively expensive, such things do come into the equation.

Have you driven one at legal speeds enough to say it would be any better with RWD? THAT'S the question. What would you DO with a large 4 door sedan on the street that would make IT be better with RWD? DO YOU KNOW FOR A FACT that it's chassis is set up so that even a relatively enthusiastic set of driving situations ON THE STREET would set up a noticeable difference, enough to make it not worth driving? As I stated, my FWD SVT Contour drove like a good RWD car even when pushed hard on the track. On the street, there was no way of knowing short of doing a burnout. So just saying "it WOULD be better as a RWD car" is simply ridiculously closed minded.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

BRealistic

Quote from: ChrisV on December 10, 2006, 12:22:15 PM
Have you driven one at legal speeds enough to say it would be any better with RWD? THAT'S the question. What would you DO with a large 4 door sedan on the street that would make IT be better with RWD? DO YOU KNOW FOR A FACT that it's chassis is set up so that even a relatively enthusiastic set of driving situations ON THE STREET would set up a noticeable difference, enough to make it not worth driving? As I stated, my FWD SVT Contour drove like a good RWD car even when pushed hard on the track. On the street, there was no way of knowing short of doing a burnout. So just saying "it WOULD be better as a RWD car" is simply ridiculously closed minded.

Chris- I just said it would feel different. There are ways to make front drive perform very well, but it is always a compromise of some sort. There is no argument based on logic that says a front driver is a better performer on dry pavement, so that means two vehicles -everything being the same except for the layout- the rear drive will have a better front/rear weight balance which means it will make better use of all four tires in hard driving instead of forcing the front tires to do 95% of the work in acceleration, cornering and braking. This is compounded on vehicles as they get larger and heavier. The Impala is a classic name that hearkens back to large rear drive V8 domestic vehicles. Making it rear drive again would actually help the Impala reclaim some of its heritage, which would be a good thing. There is no reason to yell.