(Silver) Corvette Blue Devil photos were "faked"!

Started by gasoline, December 01, 2006, 05:08:27 PM

gasoline

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487840

It was all a trick played by Winding Road Magazine. :huh:
-----------------------------------

the Teuton

Then I stand reaffirmed that the only Blue Devil that was ever built burned to the ground at a GM test track (which is pretty much what happened about a year or so back).  So much for GM putting more money into the project.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

gasoline

Quote from: the Teuton on December 01, 2006, 05:57:07 PM
Then I stand reaffirmed that the only Blue Devil that was ever built burned to the ground at a GM test track (which is pretty much what happened about a year or so back).  So much for GM putting more money into the project.
I don't think the project is a fake.
It's the worst kept secret in Detroit.

the Teuton

The project isn't...or wasn't...a fake.  It definitely has been made and tested.  I just am a bit skeptical as to where it is.  The Blue Devil began life as a low budget skunkwerks project that a couple of engineers started in their off time.  When GM caught a hold of this, they apparently liked the idea, but didn't put much into it.  When the car went up in flames, it was halted for at least a while.  After this, I just seriously doubt that the car will be coming out any time soon (i.e. the 2008 model year).  Let GM prove me wrong.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sandertheshark

Quote from: gasoline on December 01, 2006, 06:33:43 PM
I don't think the project is a fake.
It's the worst kept secret in Detroit.
The Blue Devil is the Aurora of the auto industry.

gasoline

Quote from: the Teuton on December 01, 2006, 07:07:25 PM
The project isn't...or wasn't...a fake.  It definitely has been made and tested.  I just am a bit skeptical as to where it is.  The Blue Devil began life as a low budget skunkwerks project that a couple of engineers started in their off time.  When GM caught a hold of this, they apparently liked the idea, but didn't put much into it.  When the car went up in flames, it was halted for at least a while.  After this, I just seriously doubt that the car will be coming out any time soon (i.e. the 2008 model year).  Let GM prove me wrong.
Oh, I get you. Well, I don't know very much at all about it.
What I heard was that it was planned "from the beginning"--whatever that means.
I never heard about any fire or any such thing.
As far as I know, I hear they're officially denying its existence and yet reveling in the speculation.

The public fully well expects them to do it, so if they never planned to do so, they'd put the kibosh on rumors a long time ago.

These guys seem excited about it (and convinced it'll be real.) They claim Lutz confirmed it to them in person:
http://www.businessweek.com/mediacenter/podcasts/cruisecontrol/cruise_control_11_11_06_b.htm

You can listen directly here, but I have no clue where they said it without listening to it all over again, which I don't want to do right now--
http://www.businessweek.com/mediacenter/qt/podcasts/cruisecontrol/cruise_control_11_11_06_b.mp3

the Teuton

I got that from a semi-inside source.  About as inside as anyone not actually working on the project can get.

SVT666

That was a neat little experiment...and pretty funny watching all the Corvette faithful squealing like little school girls all over the forums.

goldenlover1101

never read that mag but their credibility probably tanked after faking such a story. I hope the project is still on, what an awesome car it could be.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

ifcar

One thing wasn't clear to me. Did Winding Road actually write about the Blue Devil" knowing that it was their own creation, or did they just build their fake one, drive it around, and let everyone else draw their own conclusions?

gasoline

Quote from: ifcar on December 02, 2006, 07:29:21 PM
One thing wasn't clear to me. Did Winding Road actually write about the Blue Devil" knowing that it was their own creation, or did they just build their fake one, drive it around, and let everyone else draw their own conclusions?
The latter is what I seem to remember.
I don't even think Winding Road had pictures of it at all.
All the pictures taken were by a private citizen who forwarded it to other people.

That's why I think it was brilliant.

ifcar

Right, that's what I had thought. It's not their credibility that will suffer, they didn't do the hoax to get their own cover story. It's those who believed it who will look foolish.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on December 03, 2006, 06:17:10 AM
Right, that's what I had thought. It's not their credibility that will suffer, they didn't do the hoax to get their own cover story. It's those who believed it who will look foolish.
Did they really look foolish?  I don't think they did.  The car looked like an authentic testing mule.  I think it was a brilliant hoax.