My car hates me!!!

Started by Danish, December 03, 2006, 02:03:57 AM

Danish

Why else would it keep shocking me everytime I step out and touch the door?

The car is a 2001 Corolla. One thing to note: part of the panel for the HVAC controls doesn't light up: so the AC switch and direction switch are visible at night, but not the fan speed and temperature knob. However, every now and then the panel will light up so I am thinking that there is a loose wire (bad ground?) behind the panel.

Anyway, my point is my theory is that charge builds up from the HVAC panel because it is not being used and then shocks me when I get out cause I am the path to least resistance.

Thoughts?
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Danish on December 03, 2006, 02:03:57 AM
Thoughts?

You've got a loose wire somewhere.

:devil:

You're probably on to where it's at-

Now that I think about it, my 92 used to shock me pretty regularly, but hasn't for a while.  I don't remember doing anything to it that would have fixed the problem..
Will

footoflead

About the shocking thing...

Static electricity perhaps...i know our truck usually shocks my mom as she gets out.

it seems to only do it in the winter and it usually gets me but it hasn't so far *knock on wood*
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

rohan

Quote from: Danish on December 03, 2006, 02:03:57 AM
Why else would it keep shocking me everytime I step out and touch the door?

The car is a 2001 Corolla. One thing to note: part of the panel for the HVAC controls doesn't light up: so the AC switch and direction switch are visible at night, but not the fan speed and temperature knob. However, every now and then the panel will light up so I am thinking that there is a loose wire (bad ground?) behind the panel.

Anyway, my point is my theory is that charge builds up from the HVAC panel because it is not being used and then shocks me when I get out cause I am the path to least resistance.

Thoughts?
It's a safety feature to remove the static electricity from the vehicle prior to you putting the gas nozzle into the gas filler and if it didn't do it the car might explode.  I know that sounds made up and I don't know how to prove it to you but thats the truth.  Teh reason it does it more in the winter is it's dryer and makes more static as the tires go down the road.  Simple physics- and I'm a dumb cop!   :pullover:  I learned that in my accident recostruction classes.  When this fails to work the right way you hear about gas pump fires at stations sometimes- but mostly in the winter.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

S204STi

I think it is just static man.  When we moved back to Colorado from New Hampster I began to experience the same thing you do.  I think the drier air promotes static electricity.  When I rub my tush on the seat as I get out, or shuffle my feet on the carpet, I build a static charge.  When I touch a metal part of the vehicle, that static discharges back to the car.

IrishGuy

Quote from: R-inge on December 03, 2006, 09:09:11 AM
I think it is just static man.  When we moved back to Colorado from New Hampster I began to experience the same thing you do.  I think the drier air promotes static electricity.  When I rub my tush on the seat as I get out, or shuffle my feet on the carpet, I build a static charge.  When I touch a metal part of the vehicle, that static discharges back to the car.

And we have a winner.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Rupert

I know someone that got shocked by cheese. No shit.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on December 03, 2006, 09:09:11 AM

Yep. I go through it every year at this time.  Hate it.  Used to be a bigger problem when seats were covered in wool....or so I'm told..

There used to be rubber strips you attached to your rear bumper and hung down to the pavement that was supposed to discharge static electricity from the car's body.  They were in the same section of the store as curb feelers.

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on December 03, 2006, 05:37:31 PM
Yep. I go through it every year at this time.  Hate it.  Used to be a bigger problem when seats were covered in wool....or so I'm told..

There used to be rubber strips you attached to your rear bumper and hung down to the pavement that was supposed to discharge static electricity from the car's body.  They were in the same section of the store as curb feelers.

Probably equally useful.

IrishGuy

Quote from: JWC on December 03, 2006, 05:37:31 PM

Quote from: R-inge on December 03, 2006, 05:42:17 PM
Probably equally useful.

I must say that cars with those things on look absolutely ridiculous. Why would someone take all the trouble to put those damn rubber strips on  :huh:
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

VTEC_Inside

My moms '05 Corolla is horrible for that as well

I'm just glad its not my car... lol...
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

sparkplug

I'm sure the feeling is mutual. Ever met a toyota you liked. Me neither.

I suggest you get this looked at. Most likely it's a loose wire but it could be a short and shorted wires can lead to fires. My neighbors son had a Toyota Tacoma and it caught on fire quite mysteriously but he didn't do it.

Raza

I think the car hates you.  I hate you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza on December 06, 2006, 05:47:29 PM
I think the car hates you.? I hate you.

Just remember that like the universe; cars are wonderful and beautiful things- and they want to kill you.

Seriously.

But, on a lighter note; its not a loose wire. Any wire contacting the body would burn itself out or blow a fuse since the body itself is the grounded part of the circuit. Even if it didn't. its only a 12v wire and you wouldn't feel it anyways; unless its actually a hot sparkplug or ignition wire and if that were the case the car would never run in the first place.

Like others have said- its static.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sandertheshark

I had to become something of an expert in ESD (electro-static discharge) containment when I was working with microelectronic systems.  Then I forgot most of it.  But I'm certain it's simple static electricity.  And those rubber strips JWC mentioned are completely useless.

However I would never rule out the possibility that your car is pure evil and wants to kill you.  After all, it's a well-known fact that Toyotas are soulless abominations.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 06, 2006, 07:12:19 PM
However I would never rule out the possibility that your car is pure evil and wants to kill you. After all, it's a well-known fact that Toyotas are soulless abominations.

What he said... lol...
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

saxonyron

If it makes a nice snapping sound when you get blasted, it's simple static electricity.  Especially if it just started when the colder weather hit.  If your car was shorting out somewhere due to a loose wire, it wouldn't necessarily burn out a fuse - it might be using you as the ground when you step out - but only if you're touching both the ground with a foot and, say, the shift lever or metal door frame with a hand.  I had a light fixture like that once - if you were touching it and also managed to touch the fridge at the same time - bam!  110 V go flying thru your body.  A 12 V system could make you feel it, but some major amps would have to be moving.  This kind of shock wouldn't likely make the snapping sound of a static discharge.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Soup DeVille

Quote from: saxonyron on December 06, 2006, 09:42:15 PM
If it makes a nice snapping sound when you get blasted, it's simple static electricity.? Especially if it just started when the colder weather hit.? If your car was shorting out somewhere due to a loose wire, it wouldn't necessarily burn out a fuse - it might be using you as the ground when you step out - but only if you're touching both the ground with a foot and, say, the shift lever or metal door frame with a hand.? I had a light fixture like that once - if you were touching it and also managed to touch the fridge at the same time - bam!? 110 V go flying thru your body.? A 12 V system could make you feel it, but some major amps would have to be moving.? This kind of shock wouldn't likely make the snapping sound of a static discharge.

The resistance of the human body is too high to draw any significant amount of current from a 12V DC power source. Next time you've got the jumper cables out, try touching both posts of your battery- guess what you'll feel? That's right- nothing.

The shift lever and metal door frame you mentioned are already grounded- in a car the the chassis itself forms the return leg of the circuit.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

saxonyron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 06, 2006, 10:30:17 PM
The resistance of the human body is too high to draw any significant amount of current from a 12V DC power source. Next time you've got the jumper cables out, try touching both posts of your battery- guess what you'll feel? That's right- nothing.

The shift lever and metal door frame you mentioned are already grounded- in a car the the chassis itself forms the return leg of the circuit.

True....but I was referring to reaaallllly low resistance people.  You know, the kind who always succumb to telemarketers, or join the Jehova's Witnesses.  Wouldn't they get a shock??

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Soup DeVille

Quote from: saxonyron on December 06, 2006, 10:56:48 PM
True....but I was referring to reaaallllly low resistance people.? You know, the kind who always succumb to telemarketers, or join the Jehova's Witnesses.? Wouldn't they get a shock??

Yes, and most deservedly so! :ohyeah:

sandertheshark

Quote from: saxonyron on December 06, 2006, 10:56:48 PM
True....but I was referring to reaaallllly low resistance people. You know, the kind who always succumb to telemarketers, or join the Jehova's Witnesses. Wouldn't they get a shock??
Don't forget people who call radio talk shows just to agree with the host.

AutobahnSHO

Talking of battery fun,
I had an old Subaru in high school, (almost like this one but uglier, 1992- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1975_Subaru_DL.jpg ) we used to take into the WYoming hills.

We had a college class off-campus 1st hour, but no class on Fridays. One friday we were up behind the highschool and hit a REALLY big bump, heard a super loud SNAP and the tape player weeent   deeeeeeeeaaaaaad  with the motor.
Apparently the battery wasn't strapped down and hit the hood, instantly discharging it completely.  Took a while to charge it back up enough to start it. (AFTER we walked/jogged  half a mile to get to class....)
Will

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 07, 2006, 09:55:30 AM
Talking of battery fun,
I had an old Subaru in high school, (almost like this one but uglier, 1992- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1975_Subaru_DL.jpg ) we used to take into the WYoming hills.

We had a college class off-campus 1st hour, but no class on Fridays. One friday we were up behind the highschool and hit a REALLY big bump, heard a super loud SNAP and the tape player weeent   deeeeeeeeaaaaaad  with the motor.
Apparently the battery wasn't strapped down and hit the hood, instantly discharging it completely.  Took a while to charge it back up enough to start it. (AFTER we walked/jogged  half a mile to get to class....)

Oh man, I love those old DL wagons...do you know where yours ended up?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on December 07, 2006, 08:36:13 PM
Oh man, I love those old DL wagons...do you know where yours ended up?
As the car (and wheels) were rusting out (it was a couple years after I quit driving it) my folks sold it to a local hispanic guy for $100.? He fixed it up and drove around a while.

That thing was a beast in the snow. REAL 4wd, with a cool green light that came on when engaged, plus you didn't even have to push in the clutch to throw it into 4wd!!!? Spare tire under the hood, engine sits in front of the front axles.

I used to go toodling by all kinds of trucks stuck in the ditch or snow, except the car sucked on the highway (top speed = 70mph?) or around town the few months that the weather was nice...? :devil:

We jumped that thing w/ 4 people in it.....

I would LOOOVE to find one and fix it up.  They certainly don't make them like that anymore....
Will