YO, did you ever get your Acura NSX?

Started by Car Zeus, December 03, 2006, 02:03:46 PM

YO

...well... I started a thread recently at the "other" site...

I have an employee who's selling his M3 and wants my S2000 (1/2 the payment).  SO the thread I had started is

"WHAT SHOULD I GET IN 2008???"

my short list is...

Lotus Exige
97-05 Acura NSX
06-07 Corvette Covertable manual
97-03 Porsche Carrera 4 convertable
63-66 Corvette Convertable
62-73 Jaguar XKE

the help that I need from you all; Is there anything out there that I'm missing... I have almost two years before I make a move. No sedans please. I get the Luxury of a Benz/Acura demo from work.

any and every bit of imput will be appreciated...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

sandertheshark

I'd take a '66 Vette off that list, but I'm sure you'd be happiest with the NSX.

Maybe a last-gen Jag XK?  Porsche Cayman?

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

How about a Toyota Solara?

No seriously... I think the XKE would be a really cool idea :rockon:... but I'm still surprised you haven't checked out the SL500.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

YO

Quote from: touareg208 on December 04, 2006, 08:56:51 AM

No seriously... I think the XKE would be a really cool idea :rockon:... but I'm still surprised you haven't checked out the SL500.

living in Orange County and now Hotlanta... it's just too ordinary a car... there's a Benz store in my company and I can drive one whenever...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

pommes-t

Quote from: YO on December 04, 2006, 09:17:11 AM
living in Orange County and now Hotlanta... it's just too ordinary a car... there's a Benz store in my company and I can drive one whenever...

Well, I don't know about US-American used car prices, but in Germany I wouldn't buy a used Porsche as a first choice. I mean I really love Porsches, but they are simply too solid in their prices.

Since you want a car that is all about fun and live in the USA: The first thing I'd think about is a Corvette. That car really rocks, looks good, is very cheap as a used car and you get cheap service from every Chevy dealer. I think those are some good arguments for it. But I'd also consider the GTO since you might get great deals.

If you also consider rare small cars like the Exige: What about a Wiesmann roadster? The owner of the bar that I go to every thursday own one and he simply loves it. And IMO that's one of the best looking cars on the roads. Service shouldn't be too expensive either, since it has mass production BMW tech under the hood.

What about a used M roadster? Or an M3? Inline 6, high rev engine (like your S2000...), great design, great roadholding, cheap used car prices...

Whatever you pick, please post some picks, and keep us posted!  :ohyeah:

sandertheshark

JYODER240

If its a second car i'd go for an Elise or Exige S.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MX793

Nissan GT-R is supposed to be out for 2008.  Unless they announce that it'll be pushed back, I'd wait to see what the specs and prices are on that.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ChrisV

As for the XKE, I'd stay away from the pre '64 cars, as they were rushed together to meet demand, were not as well built and weren't as fast as advertised, thugh they ARE very collectable. The post '68 cars tended to get larger and heavier, and slower due to smogging. The best bets are the covered headlight 4.2 models. Fast, sturdy, well built. Simply outstanding cars, regardless of bodystyle. My bias is towards the '67 4.2 liter triple carb Series 1. Best of the bunch, to me, with the cleanliness of the earlier bodylines (covered headlights, integrated taillights above the rear bumper) but the larger, more powerful 4.2 liter engine. The '68-70 are cheaper, however, and if you have no problem with the exposed headlights and hanging taillghts, are great, strong cars, as well.

'65-67:

'68-71:

'72-73:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

thewizard16

All of the cars on your list sound great, but I'd probably get the new Corvette or the Porsche. Of course, I'm just not a classic car guy, (though those options are both beautiful) I love the toys too much.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ro51092

I say go for the Exige or the 911.

I would check out an M3 or an E85 M Roadster too. They're spectacular cars, and I really, really, REALLY want an M Roadster.

Raza

Exige sounds too extreme for you.  What about the Europa?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

GoCougs

If I were shopping in this segment, the Cayman S would be at the top of the list.

Lebowski

C6 C6 C6 C6 C6  :ohyeah:

Why not consider the targa, though?  The vert adds close to $10k to the price and eliminates all the cargo space.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on December 04, 2006, 04:40:28 PM
C6 C6 C6 C6 C6  :ohyeah:

Why not consider the targa, though?  The vert adds close to $10k to the price and eliminates all the cargo space.

I agree; the targa is more practical, cheaper, and in my opinion, better looking.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

YO

Quote from: Lebowski on December 04, 2006, 05:04:47 PM
Would you consider an Ariel Atom?? ?:rockon: :rockon:

THANKS ALOT!! ... I forgot... it's on my list too... I just don't want that god d&$m ecotec motor... if I can still get the VTEC K motor, that might have creeped to the top of the list...

keep it up... you all are a great help
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza on December 04, 2006, 01:28:41 PM
Exige sounds too extreme for you.? What about the Europa?

Is the Europa coming here?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TurboDan

If we're talking about the rare car segment, how about Panoz?  You're in GA, so I bet there's a few in your area for sale.

sandertheshark

YO, are you open to a used Ferrari?  You could get a 25-year-old 308 GTS/GTB in good shape for around $40k, or a 20-y-o Testarossa for 50 large.

Lebowski

How much are you willing to spend on maintenance and/or work on the car yourself?  Hell, I too admit a 63-66 Corvette or 62-73 Jag XKE would be cool to have, but personally I think either would be biting off more than I can chew as far as maintaining them goes.

TurboDan

Quote from: Lebowski on December 06, 2006, 07:38:27 PM
How much are you willing to spend on maintenance and/or work on the car yourself?  Hell, I too admit a 63-66 Corvette or 62-73 Jag XKE would be cool to have, but personally I think either would be biting off more than I can chew as far as maintaining them goes.

Depends if it's going to be your daily driver or a car you'll only take out on weekends.  I couldn't justify putting 18K miles per year on a 40 year old car.

ChrisV

Quote from: Lebowski on December 06, 2006, 07:38:27 PM
Quote from: TurboDan on December 07, 2006, 08:48:28 PM
Depends if it's going to be your daily driver or a car you'll only take out on weekends.  I couldn't justify putting 18K miles per year on a 40 year old car.

In both cases, the mechanicals are rugged and simple, and even the wiring is simple. Much more prone to lasting another hundred thousand miles of daily driving than the average newer car. Both the small block chevy and the Jag 4.2 liter will probably outlast the owner of the car... the Corvette won't rust, and a garaged Jag won't either. I'd have no problems using either one as a daily. And they certainly won't depreciate much, if any. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...