Tuner Mustangs

Started by Nethead, December 04, 2006, 10:05:57 AM

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on December 07, 2006, 10:22:45 AM
HEMI666:? Terrific response, Hemi!? Yeah, gills, wings, scoops, aprons, vents, louvers and related feminine hygiene products crap up a lot of decent Mustangs!? For the Mustang you describe, Ford needs to work out a deal with Vortech Superchargers for volume production of just the Mustang you describe--Vortech provides a powertrain warranty of 3 yrs/36 mos on their Vortech Edition Mustang--including all the Ford powertrain parts (testimony to their confidence in their equipment and the basic hardware provided by Ford in every Mustang GT).? Vortech's ain't screwchargers, like Ford favors, but their centrifugals are hot, hot stuff!
1. Mustang GT--less the rear wing
2. Lowered suspension
3. Intercooled Vortech exactly as found on the Vortech Edition Mustang, chip calibrated per Vortech specs
4. Exhaust designed to get the most out of the 3-valve 281 with the Vortech centrifugal
5. Optional wheels & tires (optional, because some dudes & chicks will have sets of wheels and tires they want to use--possibly taken from the vehicle they will trade for this Mustang)
6. Serious window tint (once you have one of these, you become an instant celebrity and you want to avoid the prying photos of all the effin' papparazzi)
7. No faux gas cap in the rear, no "GT" side emblems, Bullitt fuel door optional?
8. Optional hood pins
9. Optional one-piece driveshaft with big universals--maybe not optional
10. 3.71 standard, other ratios optional
11. Clutch options?
12. Tremec 6060 optional?
13. Everything else is regulation Mustang GT, with audio delete, antenna delete, air conditioning delete, etc.
14. $35,000 with the 5-speed manual

I personally prefer ProCharger, but Vortech makes a sweet centrifugal as well.  The standard gear ratios for Mustangs are 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, or 4.30.  As far as aI know 3.71 isn't even an option with the 8.8 rearend.

I agree clutch choices would be nice and because of that different hp ranges would be good like 375hp (stock clutch), 400-425hp (Ford Racing clutch).  I just wish someone did this. 

SVT666

You could get a basic lowered and mildly supercharged 375hp car and go all the way up to a 600+hp monster with everything upgraded.  Unfortunately nobody does this as an affordable production Mustang with a warranty.

Nethead

HEMI666: It would be interesting to know what warranties are offered in all those tuner Mustang variants--what might still be covered by Ford, what wouldn't be, and what warranty (or not) is offered by the power adder manufacturer/marketer (such as Vortech's 3 yr/30,000 miler).??
The Nethead here apologizes for the mis-typed differential ratio.? Fast typing ain't my strong point!? ?I meant 3.73--anything in the 4s is probably dragrace gearing.? Some will want that, of course, but I go with roadracing set-ups as the standard since roadracing more closely approximates conditions found on the street.?
If warranties are important, then 400 HP naturally-aspirated, 525 HP Vortech'd, and 750 HP twin-screwed sounds workable to the Nethead here.? 400 is not a real reach, but things like idling at lights may get testy above 400 HP from 281 naturally-aspirated cubic inches on 91 octane.? Vortech had tweaked their "The Standing Mile" '05 Mustang GT to about 565 HP before they auctioned it off--but I doubt if that car met emissions regs once it went north of the 535 HP that propelled the near-stocker to 192 MPH before the 6600 RPM rev limiter flattened all further acceleration.? 750 HP is not a great reach for the mildly tuned Ford GT engine at 550 HP--Koenigsegg gets 806 HP and 678 feet pounds on a 4.7 version of the Ford GT engine and that engine meets emissions--but there are some expensive tricks in the Koenigsegg engine.? I don't know if Ford or anyone else will warrant a clutch on 750 HP--but for those for whom that is an issue there is the 525 HP Vortech version.? The Nethead here does not know if the Ford GT's clutch can be adapted to the Mustang's 5-speed or to the Tremec 6060 in the GT500.? And the Nethead here has no clue what transaxle unit is found in Koenigseggs, but I'll bet the clutch in that unit won't adapt to anything else...
It would be tres cool if Ford brought out a certified 202+ MPH Mustang--each one test driven at a verified 202+ MPH before shipping to a dealership (and I ain't talkin' no artificially inseminated 202 MPH while chained to a chassis dyno either!)!? Remember the original '65 Mustang fastbacks?? They were officially the "2+2" model Mustang and I believe they had badges to that effect--they could then officially designate these hot Mustangs as "200+2" models!? 'Works for me!
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on December 08, 2006, 06:47:11 AM
HEMI666: It would be interesting to know what warranties are offered in all those tuner Mustang variants--what might still be covered by Ford, what wouldn't be, and what warranty (or not) is offered by the power adder manufacturer/marketer (such as Vortech's 3 yr/30,000 miler).??
The Nethead here apologizes for the mis-typed differential ratio.? Fast typing ain't my strong point!? ?I meant 3.73--anything in the 4s is probably dragrace gearing.? Some will want that, of course, but I go with roadracing set-ups as the standard since roadracing more closely approximates conditions found on the street.?
Ford used to offer drag packs for the Mustang back int he 60s and early 70s, and Iw ould like to see them offer that today too.

QuoteIf warranties are important, then 400 HP naturally-aspirated, 525 HP Vortech'd, and 750 HP twin-screwed sounds workable to the Nethead here.? 400 is not a real reach, but things like idling at lights may get testy above 400 HP from 281 naturally-aspirated cubic inches on 91 octane.
A 400hp naturally aspirated 4.6L could be tough to get streetable because as you know these engines are not designed ot be high revvers so the only way to get the engine to 400hp cheaply without increasing the bore or stroke is to cam the hell out of it, open the exhaust up, and replace the entire intake system.  Even then I don't know if it will get to 400hp without head work.  By camming it up, you make the engine a lot less streetable because the lower rpms become somewhat useless.  Boring it out is expensive too.  That's why supercharging is so popular.  When I was modifying my 1996 Mustang GT with the 2V 4.6L, I pretty much replaced everything but the internals.  New intake, MAF, throttle body and plenum, intake manifold, heads, cams, valvetrain, pulleys, ignition, fuel pump, long tube headers, off-road H-pipe, Magnaflow Magnapack cat-back, custom dyno tune, etc. and I got about as much power as you could possibly get out of it without making it unstreetable, but it also would have failed any and all emissions tests.  Because I totally uncorked the exhaust, it was loud as hell and sounded like a NASCAR.  It was...phenomenal!!!  Too loud for me nowadays though.  Next time I will get a standard Magnaflow catback instead of the Packs. 
QuoteVortech had tweaked their "The Standing Mile" '05 Mustang GT to about 565 HP before they auctioned it off--but I doubt if that car met emissions regs once it went north of the 535 HP that propelled the near-stocker to 192 MPH before the 6600 RPM rev limiter flattened all further acceleration.  750 HP is not a great reach for the mildly tuned Ford GT engine at 550 HP--Koenigsegg gets 806 HP and 678 feet pounds on a 4.7 version of the Ford GT engine and that engine meets emissions--but there are some expensive tricks in the Koenigsegg engine.  I don't know if Ford or anyone else will warrant a clutch on 750 HP--but for those for whom that is an issue there is the 525 HP Vortech version.
Clutches aren't warranteed anyway.  Ford Racing makes a couple variants of the King Cobra clutch (I had one in my Mustang) that can handle a shit load of power.  That clutch had stock weighting, but hooked up like no other clutch I have had.

Nethead

I copied this from www.mustangblogs.com.  The text of the blog copied, but the photos did not.  The Nethead will add this Mustang to the list of tuner Mustangs as soon as I find out if the Shinoda operation is building these and selling them to the public.  The blog sounds like they are, but more details may come in the press release mentioned in  the blog:

750 HP Twin Turbo Boss Shinoda Mustang

Just a quick post today, yesterday I got this email from James at Shinoda Performance, from the look of the email I think every Mustang site owner on the planet got it as well but oh well I will probably be the first to write about it. The email subject was 750 Horsepower Boss Shinoda Mustang and within the email it contained 15 photos showing a Twin Turbo set up on a S197 Mustang GT in Boss Shinoda rags. On the outside the Mustang looks pretty much stock except for the Boss Shinoda Striping and custom wheels. Under the hood is where Shinoda Perforformance keeps the TWINS, from the looks it?s a twin turbo setup from who I have no idea but we shall know soon as a press release on this monster is soon to follow. I have included a few photos of what I was sent but for the all the rest follow the links below to Mustang Photos.

SVT666

Nethead

HEMI666:  This is a little off-topic, but there are no current Viper threads.  Some months ago, DCX announced that the V10 will no longer be offered in Rams (Why?).  Does this have negative implications for the Viper? 
On the old AutoWeek forums, some said this meant the Viper would get the Hemi, others felt the Viper would get the axe in favor of the Firepower or the Crossfire or whatever it's called (a former inexpensive M-B two-seater with some Chrysler chrome trim and a rear wing that elevates at speed).

IMO, the Viper is suffering from some pretty severe neglect from DCX, and sales are dropping as a result.  It shouldn't take much to make a Z06 stomper out of the Viper, although it will not be as cheap.  If the Viper loses the V10, this prediction no longer applies.

Nethead

Looks like the Shinoda comes in Stage 1 with 350 HP on up to the new 750 HP version.  Previously, the Stage 3 had 650 HP, so I dunno if the 750 HP version is a Stage 4 or the new level of power of the Stage 3.  It IS twin turbo, as there's lots of room within the Mustang's engine compartment and Shinoda's outfit used it all.  Perhaps the 750 HP version is an intercooled Stage 3.  Now to confirm if Shinoda builds these beasts (probably more than the $75,000 or so for the Stage 3) and retails them or waits until someone orders one.  They apparently will build these in emissions-certified versions for an extra $500.00.   The Shinoda paint job is a little much--actually, it's a big much...The Nethead here will post more when I know more...

FoMoJo

Quote from: Nethead on December 19, 2006, 07:39:07 AM
Looks like the Shinoda comes in Stage 1 with 350 HP on up to the new 750 HP version.? Previously, the Stage 3 had 650 HP, so I dunno if the 750 HP version is a Stage 4 or the new level of power of the Stage 3.? It IS twin turbo, as there's lots of room within the Mustang's engine compartment and Shinoda's outfit used it all.? Perhaps the 750 HP version is an intercooled Stage 3.? Now to confirm if Shinoda builds these beasts (probably more than the $75,000 or so for the Stage 3) and retails them or waits until someone orders one.? They apparently will build these in emissions-certified versions for an extra $500.00.? ?The Shinoda paint job is a little much--actually, it's a big much...The Nethead here will post more when I know more...
Looking at their website, what seems interesting is that they got the weight of the Level 1 down to 3200 lbs.  The Level 3 weighs 3400 lbs.  Pretty nice cars.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on December 19, 2006, 07:17:58 AM
HEMI666:? This is a little off-topic, but there are no current Viper threads.? Some months ago, DCX announced that the V10 will no longer be offered in Rams (Why?).? Does this have negative implications for the Viper??
On the old AutoWeek forums, some said this meant the Viper would get the Hemi, others felt the Viper would get the axe in favor of the Firepower or the Crossfire or whatever it's called (a former inexpensive M-B two-seater with some Chrysler chrome trim and a rear wing that elevates at speed).

IMO, the Viper is suffering from some pretty severe neglect from DCX, and sales are dropping as a result.? It shouldn't take much to make a Z06 stomper out of the Viper, although it will not be as cheap.? If the Viper loses the V10, this prediction no longer applies.
As far as I know the Ram last had the V10 under its hood in 2002.  The SRT-10 version was recently cancelled though, and that was powered by a Viper V10.  This means absolutely nothing for the Viper.  The next Viper has been spied in the desert for hot wether testing.  It's rumoured to be pushing 650 hp and weigh the same as the current Z06.  The sales have only been dropping as of late IMHO because the Z06 is as fast or slightly faster around both a racetrack and a dragstrip for a helluva lot less money.  Problem here is that Chrysler wants to keep the Viper as a low production model and in order to do that, the price must be higher then the Vette's.  The Viper has always been more expensive so that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.  I don't really think the Viper has been ignored by Chrysler at all, considering the Coupe just came out and the car as a whole is only 3 years old.  Apparently there will be no Viper for 2008 and the 2009 redesigned Viper will be out mid year in 2008.

Nethead

HEMI666: Yeah, Hemi, I'm worried about the V10--are the Viper's understandably modest sales enough to keep an engine in production that isn't used anywhere else in the lineup?  It ain't like the Viper is powered by an LS--different bores, strokes, and states of tune on the same ol' same ol'.  When Daimler's bean counters give this some scrutiny there could be trouble...

Nethead

FoMoJo:  I haven't done more than scan www.shinodaperformance.com very rapidly.  If those weights are accurate, There's a lot to be learned from the Shinoda crew! 
What's your take on this, Fo:  Is the Shinoda crew building complete cars and then selling 'em to the public, or are they performing mods to a customer's Mustang after a customer has purchased a Mustang GT at some point before he or she brings it to the Shinoda shop?  They may very well be doing both...

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on December 20, 2006, 09:45:39 AM
FoMoJo:? I haven't done more than scan www.shinodaperformance.com very rapidly.? If those weights are accurate, There's a lot to be learned from the Shinoda crew!?
What's your take on this, Fo:? Is the Shinoda crew building complete cars and then selling 'em to the public, or are they performing mods to a customer's Mustang after a customer has purchased a Mustang GT at some point before he or she brings it to the Shinoda shop?? They may very well be doing both...
They're doing both.

As for the weight, I would like to know how they are getting lighter then the stock GT unless they are removing the rear seat and sound insulation.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on December 20, 2006, 09:37:39 AM
HEMI666: Yeah, Hemi, I'm worried about the V10--are the Viper's understandably modest sales enough to keep an engine in production that isn't used anywhere else in the lineup?? It ain't like the Viper is powered by an LS--different bores, strokes, and states of tune on the same ol' same ol'.? When Daimler's bean counters give this some scrutiny there could be trouble...
I'm not worried about the V10.  The engine has been around so long now that it probably doesn't cost them a lot to build it anymore.  Besides, even though ripping the V10 out of the Viper would be liking taking it's heart out, but how cool would it be to have a Viper with a 7.0L or 8.0L Hemi V8 with the tailpipes burping that beautiful V8 rumble.  The Viper's exhaust note has always suffered form having a V10.  I would hate to see the day the V10 is replaced with a V8, but at the same time I think it would still be extremely cool.

Nethead

The Nethead here has no particulars about yet another tuner Mustang that will be available through Ford dealers (probably not all of them, IMO) and from the tuner's shop.? The new tuner Mustang was on display at the '06 SEMA show.? I found this article & pic repeated on several websites, and the quote is copied/pasted from www.autoweb.com specifically:
"Judging by the number of Ford Mustang customizers at the 2006 SEMA Show, aftermarket builders are all the ?Rage? with ?Stangs. The Rage is also available through Ford dealers and the kit is made for 2005 thru 2007 Mustangs. The cars can also be purchased direct from the factory and are powered by either an optional 400- or 600-horsepower supercharged and inter-cooled engine."
There's a black S197 in the pic with the usual raised hood, mags, rear wing, skirts, custom front fascia, yada yada yada.? 'Trouble is, the websites give zero info about who will produce the "Rage" or how more info can be obtained--no web/e-Mail address, no phone number, no mailing address...
Is this tuner Mustang number 20 or 21?? I'll add it to the list in the initiating posting of this thread.? If anyone gets more "Rage" info, please post it here.? Thanks!

Nethead

'Still no particulars, but looking thru 600 SEMA show pics on www.mustangworld.com I found four pics of the "Rage" Mustang.? It is wierder than I thought, and I believe the tiny print says that the "Rage" is built by "Knudsen (sp?) Automotive Design, LLC".?
The pics show an intensely shiny black vehicle--possibly the absolute worst color for detail-revealing photography--with the most excessive "styling" I've seen on any tuner Mustang.? There's a weird rear wing on top of the decklid and what appears to be not one but two "winglets" attached to each side of the rear bumper.? There's an extended proboscis on the front which looks more like the NASCAR version of a Charger nose with the "crosshairs" cut out.? There is a "domed" hood which appears to be nearly four inches higher than a standard Mustang's clean, flat hood.? There are skirts and splitters, of course, and possibly 20" bling-bling wheels.
But there is also an intercooled Procharger lurking under all that plastic--which is probably the 600 HP version rather than the 400 HP version.? That's as much as I know as I type...

I found "Knudsen Automotive Design" via googling--the second return was their SEMA blurb quoted here:
"KNUDSEN AUTOMOTIVE DESIGN, LLC,
a boutique for the design, marketing and production of world-class luxury performance motor Vehicle Transformations debuts the all new RAGE Mustang for 2005-2007 Ford Mustangs. Other Vehicle Transformations include 1982-1992 Camaros & Firebirds, 1988-1998 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups (incl. Extended Cabs), 1992-1999 Suburbans and Crew Cab Pickups & Duallies."?
Their website was given as www.goldcoastcoach.com in Omaha (gold COAST in Omaha???), Nebraska.? That may explain a lot...
They had no photos of the "Rage" but they did have an offset frontal drawing and an offset rear drawing.? Frightening--Riceboy meets Buck Rogers!!!? The mating of a WRX STi rear end (Roseanne Barr's ass with a ricewing) with a generic Riceboy WRC front end.? Puke and die!?
Their other products are Camaros & Firebirds with added fiberglass front and rear overhangs--just what every F-Body needs is more overhang...The "coach" in "goldcoastcoach" comes from the fact that, with the F-Bodies now long extinct, their second sellable product is an enormous custom motorcoach (now THAT sounds more like Nebraska!) with a frowning front countenance that reminds me of Transformer robot faces.? The motorcoach has a name, too:? MAXXXtreme, and I'm sure it is.? May God have mercy on the state of Nebraska for they know not what they do...

SVT666

This is the "Rage" Mustang.  This is about the worst S197 I have ever seen.  Thanks a lot Nethead, now I will be having nightmares.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=48963

Nethead

HEMI666:  All we can do is nuke Nebraska before it's too late!  Making toast out of Omaha is a sacrifice we must make before this disease gets into the water supply!  I had heard that smoking ground corn silks could fuck you up, but I never knew it could lead to this--where's the DEA when you really need them???  Only the Aztek and the Avalanche are uglier than this.  If given a choice between this and a Rendezvous, I'd burn my driver's license and become a devout pedestrian...

SVT666

Nethead, I would take a Honda Ridgeline over THAT.  And, if you know anything about me, I hate the Ridgeline more then anything else...except this.

Nethead

HEMI666:  When seen in red per your posting, it is even uglier than it appeared in those two drawings on the manufacturer's website.  The shiny black one in the SEMA pics at least sorta concealed the ugliness in the shadowy crevices of this creature--the red one bares it all!  No surface is left un-uglified--even the C-pillar windows have some sort of horsecollars around them (How did they possibly manage NOT to put some sort of louvered covers over the C-pillar windows??).
Puke! Puke! Puke! Puke!  Being from Nebraska, I guess they thought it would be quite utilitarian to mate a combine or a threshing machine with a road vehicle (What farmer's daughter wouldn't get hot over a 400 HP combine or a 600 HP threshing machine??)  Maybe it shucks corn and plants 'taters, too!  Maybe if I saw it in green with yellow wheels it would make some kinda sick agricultural sense.  But to be totally fair and even-handed, it is probably sleek for hay baling equipment...It'll be years before I'll be brave enough to drive on a rural route again--there might be one of these lurking in a pasture just over the next rise!

Nethead

As I expected, the two-stage supercharger produced for Mustangs and BMWs by Antonov, (but not the Russian transport aircraft Antonov), is now the featured upgrade in a new line of tuner Mustangs named "AR500" and produced by Wheel to Wheel Powertrain.? The Nethead here found the press release in www.mustangpowerhouse.com.? Unlike the agricultural equipment "Rage" Mustang, this beast is tasteful--a rear lip spoiler, a front splitter, probably 19" wheels/tires, a ribbed panel between the taillights replacing the faux gascap, and what appear to be driving lights way down low deeply inset into the under-bumper intake.? The only schlock is "a pair of stylish C-Pillar louvers"--other than this sham styling bauble, the car looks great.? The chassis gets Baer brakes and "a Ford Racing suspension package" (my guess is the suspension bits are the same as fitted to the Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT).? There were no interior shots nor mention of interior upgrades.?
But here's the quote on the engine mods: "The AR500 features 'Antonov' Technology, a gearing adjustment setup to modify the gear ratio at different RPMs (that would be the supercharger gear ratio--not the transmission or rear end ratios).? In the lower half of the powerband, the AR500 gets a helical planetary gear set to distribute a 1.36:1 step-up ratio in the first half of the RPM band, but only during hard acceleration!? A centrifugal clutch will disengage the step-up ratio at a predetermined speed to make the vehicle more fuel friendly.? This unit is coupled with a Rotrex supercharger, a custom fabricated intake manifold by Wheel to Wheel, and a Laminova tube intercooler system."?
This is a pretty trick set-up, and could make superchargers more acceptable to manufacturer execs who are concerned about CAFE regulations!? It's damned amazing that the Mustang is so popular (it is the second-most-recognized manufactured product on Earth--behind number one Coca-Cola and ahead of the Avtomat Kalashnikov Sorok Sem' (the AK-47 assault rifle, mainstay of most of the military forces of the world))!? This astonishing product recognition is why the new Mustangs don't have any badges saying "Mustang" or "Ford" on their exteriors anywhere--people all over the Earth recognize a Mustang when they see one!? ?

SVT666

That is a damn fine looking Mustang.  Those are also the best looking rear quarter window louvers I have seen so far, and to be quite honest I don't mind them at all.  I probably wouldn't put them on my Mustang, but they don't look bad.  The supercharger is very interesting.  I wonder what it will retail for.  If the suspension package is the same as the GT-H (which I don't think it is because this car sits too low), then it's definitely not sufficient because that setup still allows too much body roll and too much nose dive.  Damn, that's a good looking car. 

Nethead

HEMI666:  Yeah, those are the best looking C-pillar window louvers I've seen, too!  I don't like any C-pillar window covers, but these are the least objectionable I've seen yet on a tuner Mustang.  You might get a lead on the cost of this supercharger kit from some SEMA website--I believe the 'charger was introduced at the '06 SEMA show.  Note how it mounts AFTER the throttlebodies--different than any centrifugal mounting I've seen.  That's probably also why the kit has it's own manifold--most centrifugals use the stock 4.6 plastic intake (which is a great one).
It's time we got Hau Thai (Mus)Tang's e-Mail address and petition him to have Ford host an extravaganza tuner Mustang shootout, with a blown class for the AR500, the GT500, the Vortech, the Shadrach, yada yada yada and a naturally-aspirated class for the Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition, the Shelby GT, the Foose Stallion, yada yada yada.  Those who offer blown and unblown (Saleen, Foose, Roush, yada yada yada) can enter cars in each class.  There may need to be a twin-turbo class for the Pure Power Motorsports Shadrach and the Fang Performance Eliminator since they claim mucho HP.   
BTW, you may have noticed that I removed the Hot Wheels Widebody Mustangs from the list at the start of this thread since they e-Mailed me that they are not building turnkey tuner Mustangs you can buy and drive away--you hafta provide the Mustang and they'll attach their 15-piece kit.  This is contrary to stuff I read in a mag last year.  I believe Livernois Motorsports also works this way--they'll modify your Mustang, but they don't build turnkey examples for sale to anyone who wanders thru the front door with a big wad o' cash.  But I'm not sure Livernois operates that way.  Pity...
You will want to get the new Car and Driver with the Lincoln MKR on the cover--on page 100 is an article about the Aston Martin DBR9 and its 625 HP 6.0 V12--apparently it is so overwhelming that the Corvette competitors are allowed all manner of rules fudging to keep the series competitive--stock blocks are required, but the Corvettes are allowed an exception to that rule (In the American Iron Series, LS7s dropped into F-Bodies are scattering pistons around the racetracks--which makes it hard to remain competitive).  Stock frames are required, but the Corvettes are allowed an exception to that rule, too.  And, of course, the DBR9s are required to use restrictor plates. These restrictions on the DBR9s "are in the interests of competition", and they work in the sense that last year Corvettes won five races and DBR9s won five races.  Even with all these rules breaks for the Corvettes, the DBR9s are faster.  And the DBR9s are 6.0 liters as well, albeit with a different bore and stroke (legal for everyone as long as the displacement remains the same) than the 6.0 used in WMS Racing's "Vanquish'd". 

SVT666

Nethead

HEMI666:  Yeah, I think I included the Club Racer under Steeda's tuner Mustangs in the opening thread, but I hadn't seen the excellent article you've posted!   Googling on "Mustang AR500", I found a number of articles about the AR500 (and a lot of repeats, of course).  The two-speed centrifugal increased terminal speed in the quarter by 11 MPH (presumably over a stock Mustang GT 4.6) and increased power and torque by 58 percent up to 4200 RPM.  A number of these articles had multi-color cutaways of the two-speed centrifugal, which may be unique in other ways besides having two speeds--it is the only centrifugal the Nethead here has heard of that mounts underneath the intake manifold in the V!  Numerous screw-type superchargers mount underneath the intake manifold, and this centrifugal may only fit underneath the intake manifold because it uses the exceptionally small Rotrex (Is this the "R" in "AR500"?) supercharger.  There are some Antonov websites ("www.antonov-clubsite.com" I think was one) which may have info above and beyond what you'll find by Googling "Mustang AR500".  It's time for a tuner Mustang shoot-out!

SVT666

Nethead

HEMI666: Thanks for the heads-up on the RedRoushRoadster, Hemi!  Earlier today I had read about it on www.mustangnewsnet.com, but your article is better!  I'll add it to the list at the head of the thread! 
By being a 'vert, Roush can't add those silly louvers over the C-pillar windows--what are people thinking????

SVT666

Although I don't like the overall body kit for the Fang Performance Mustangs, I do really like the Mystery 7 hood.  That is the sweetest hood available right now.  I also really like their shaker hoods.  I do like their custom trunk lids with the ducktail spoilers, but the rest of the package doesn't do it for me.

Nethead

HEMI666:  The Nethead here opposes hoodscoops in general, especially if they don't "scoop" prodigious volumes of air into the intake system.  Aerodynamicists long ago determined that the hood is not a great location for air induction at speed because air forced over the hood as the car moves forward tends to "overshoot" a hoodscoop at speed unless the scoop is ridiculously tall.  WMS may be encountering some problems with that on "Vanquish'd", although they allow air to be brought from the grille area to the airfilters, too.  Cowl induction isn't especially great, either--especially with the radically raked windshields found on many of today's performance cars.  "Shaker" hood scoops may vibrate with the engine, but otherwise don't scoop anymore air than a fixed scoop.  Around '69 or '70 the Olds 4-4-2 had two under-the-bumper scoops ducting air into a carburetor airbox via flexible ducting--this was MUCH better than a hoodscoop.  The method I've always liked best was used on '64 Galaxies--the inner pair of headlights were removed and replaced with ducting to a carburetor airbox (which is where Olds got the idea for their "W31" Ram Air described earlier).  Some '64 Fairlane 427s used this method, too.  OTOH, I wouldn't replace the Mustang GT's driving lights with ducting nor would I mount scoops under the front bumper (air drawn from below the bumper tends to be heated by hot pavement, to say nothing of proximity to the radiator).  If bulkhead layout would permit, I'd duct the air from the grill between the driving lights and the outer edges of the grille.  That would allow a "scoopless" hood, and I've always liked the original Mustang's basically flat hoods and the S197's basically flat hoods.  Those old "Thunderbolts" with the inner pair of headlights removed to provide airbox ducting were truly cool, and took in air from one of the highest air pressure areas found on production cars (as opposed to wedge-nosed pure racecars trying to get under as much of the atmosphere as possible).
Fang's hood has early G.T. 500 genes, but that's not a bad thing aesthetically since those scoops were low and wide.  How much air could actually be scooped by those low scoops is unknown to the Nethead here, and the routing of any scooped air to an airfilter and then to a throttle body might take a rather velocity-robbing passage around this and over that before the air enters the intake manifold...Somebody needs to roadtest the 600-or-so horsepower Fang! 

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on January 18, 2007, 01:46:18 PM
HEMI666:? The Nethead here opposes hoodscoops in general, especially if they don't "scoop" prodigious volumes of air into the intake system.? Aerodynamicists long ago determined that the hood is not a great location for air induction at speed because air forced over the hood as the car moves forward tends to "overshoot" a hoodscoop at speed unless the scoop is ridiculously tall.? WMS may be encountering some problems with that on "Vanquish'd", although they allow air to be brought from the grille area to the airfilters, too.? Cowl induction isn't especially great, either--especially with the radically raked windshields found on many of today's performance cars.? "Shaker" hood scoops may vibrate with the engine, but otherwise don't scoop anymore air than a fixed scoop.? Around '69 or '70 the Olds 4-4-2 had two under-the-bumper scoops ducting air into a carburetor airbox via flexible ducting--this was MUCH better than a hoodscoop.? The method I've always liked best was used on '64 Galaxies--the inner pair of headlights were removed and replaced with ducting to a carburetor airbox (which is where Olds got the idea for their "W31" Ram Air described earlier).? Some '64 Fairlane 427s used this method, too.? OTOH, I wouldn't replace the Mustang GT's driving lights with ducting nor would I mount scoops under the front bumper (air drawn from below the bumper tends to be heated by hot pavement, to say nothing of proximity to the radiator).? If bulkhead layout would permit, I'd duct the air from the grill between the driving lights and the outer edges of the grille.? That would allow a "scoopless" hood, and I've always liked the original Mustang's basically flat hoods and the S197's basically flat hoods.? Those old "Thunderbolts" with the inner pair of headlights removed to provide airbox ducting were truly cool, and took in air from one of the highest air pressure areas found on production cars (as opposed to wedge-nosed pure racecars trying to get under as much of the atmosphere as possible).
Fang's hood has early G.T. 500 genes, but that's not a bad thing aesthetically since those scoops were low and wide.? How much air could actually be scooped by those low scoops is unknown to the Nethead here, and the routing of any scooped air to an airfilter and then to a throttle body might take a rather velocity-robbing passage around this and over that before the air enters the intake manifold...Somebody needs to roadtest the 600-or-so horsepower Fang!?
I understand everything you wrote, but that's not my concern.  Whether the Fang scoops are functional or not I don't care, because it's the big bland hood I don't like.  In some colours the big flat hood looks exactly that...big and flat.  In other colours it actually looks cool, but it looks its best with the racing stripes.  I just think Ford needs to liven it up a bit.  The shaker just looks extremely cool...period.  The GT500 hood is very cool and I read that the standard GT will be getting a hood fairly similar to the GT500's and the GT500 will be getting an even more radical hood.  I would totally be in favour of that.